I THINK THIS NEW FORMAT IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback, Questions & Suggestions' started by lgp, May 12, 2013.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and totally inconsiderate to the needs of fibro sufferers, who deal enough in cognitive and 'fog' issues...so now Prohealth wants us to absorb another mediocre format that is sloppy and unorganized at best. It has a sloppy and amateur look to it, and I cannot even imagine what type of technical person developed this...probably an unpaid intern. My husband and I owned a tech consulting business for many years and developed many forums. this one is of poor quality.

In addition, I feel very sad that I have to hunt and peck all over for answers and posts I am seeking, and I fear this new forum is going to drive many of the old and knowledgeable fibro friends away from this message board and community. The last format change made this a lonely place, and I fear now it will become virtually abandoned. How very sad for fibro sufferers.

Take care, not so sure how much I will be here anymore--Laura
    tamsyn and Godismystrength like this.
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

In addition, why is this indicating that I am a new member? I guess my 1000 posts of the past counted for nothing.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I really don't like this at all. It runs over on my screen and I can't find a way to adjust it like my old screen. Where are all the adjustments? How do you post a new topic? I'm too tired to keep on going. It took me 15 minutes to sign on. Is there a way to ask questions of the moderators? GB66
  4. richcarson

richcarson Moderator

Thank you for your kind message. You sound like a very nice person, and it was nice of you to explain the situation with a new format to that angry person... The Forum software is identical to the software used by PhoenixRising, and guess what--ProHealth's consultant on our new forums is Cort Johnson, the founder of Phoenix Rising. Our extensive research looked at many, many forum software packages, and Xenforo, the one we are using now, was the best.

Today is the first day that the forums are up, and it will be nice to get feedback. We can work with many, many aspects of the board--layout, background colors (is white too bright?), etc. This just launched and we certainly are excited to improve it from here.

Thanks again for your very nice style.

Best wishes,
    Rich Carson
    ProHealth founder
    paulac7, bct and lydia1 like this.
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

this format has a sloppy, rambling look to it. and we do not need to see our own post 'reposted' every time someone responds...annoyingly redundant. i have studied this format, wish you the best of luck with it, but frankly, you may see a decrease in postings...people visiting here less often, as happened last time, which may impact your product sales as well. best of luck, but i think you need to pay serious attention to this.
  6. jinlee

jinlee Member

For me, this new format is too hard for my brain to deal with, though I am trying. I don't go to PhoenixRising forums as my brain doesn't do well in that forum environment. I stayed here because the old board was somthing my brain could deal with. I have trouble with light being to bright, sounds too loud, etc. And my brain finds this new forum being to "loud", the colors are too varied, fonts not consistent, just too busy for my brain.
    Godismystrength and bct like this.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

gb66,

To have a conversation privately with any member, click on "Inbox" on the green bar near the top, and then "start a conversation". This is a private messaging feature.
  8. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I don't find the new site a bother. I don't find the fonts or background or any of it a bother. Could be because I am on a tablet and I can adjust the brightness.....

Change is difficult for many, but with persistence, and acceptance, you can mutter through anything. Just my 2 cents....
    richcarson and paulac7 like this.
  9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

the most annoying aspect of this site (and Phoenix forums in general) is the repeat of the 'poster's message in the reply. is there any way the original post can stay at the top only?
    richcarson likes this.
  10. Holly-Admin

Holly-Admin Administrator

lgp - Are you referring to the quote feature? This is entirely dependent on how someone replies to a post.

You can post a reply in two ways, one of which does automatically include a quote.

1. Click the "Reply" link on the bottom right of a post. This will automatically include a quote, which you can leave or delete.

2. Go to the end of the thread and type your post into the box at the bottom. Then click the "Post Reply" button. This method will not include a quote.
  11. happycfs

happycfs Member

Hello friends! I hope you are all feeling some bits of relief today....

I hate to say it, but I think that I agree with everyone saying that this new format is waaaay too confusing and overwhelming. I have been trying to figure out how to post something for almost an hour now. I can't find important posts and I find myself unbelievably frustrated and disappointed. I really wanted to enjoy the new look and feel, but it is not very user-friendly. Then add the cognitive problems of people with ME/CFS and Fibro etc... It feels so discouraging.

*Suggestion to Rich Carson and staff:
    It would be great to have a little section at the top of the page, front and center, easy to see, easy to read, that bluntly states how to use the forum features. Nothing very long at all, but as thurough as possible though. Probably bullet - points and maybe even easy links at the end, if needed? Something along those lines. That would make it easier for everyone, and it would ease some serious anxieties.

Thank you for all that you do to help people! This forum has sincerely helped to save people's lives. I am not kidding or exaggerating in the slightest with that either. That is how important this is. Thank you thank you!
    Godismystrength and richcarson like this.
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I am still having a lot of trouble with the posts running off the screen. I have to scroll over for the second half of the post. It cleared up for awhile but is now doing it again. Can anyone tell me how to correct this permanently?

I can't read it like this. Thanks. Help ! GB66
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

14. richcarson

richcarson Moderator

Hi fellow patients,
    I have made a few quick notes that I will be talking to our Internet crew about, and please don't be shy about sharing your ideas and giving us suggestions. I want you all to know that we are doing the best that we can. The format that was introduced under ProHealth's former management several years was a disaster--I agree, and we are certain that these new forums will be vastly superior in virtually every way. If now, we will work until they are.

I got a kick out of LGP's sensitivity to how a setback in the forum quality could affect our sales and I had to chuckle. Can I tell you something? The forums have always been a loss leader for ProHealth, meaning that we loose money hosting it on our site because the forum users spend very little on ProHealth products. I could never figure that out, but as a patient first and a businessman second or third, I can tell you that sales generated from the forums is not important to me; having patients and healthcare practitioners here who participate, share, and support others is the driving force for my desire to have the forums. And so it is the driving force for the company as well.

I suspect that most users will acclimate quickly to the new format, and with the changes we will be making to make the forums better as we go along, the new forums will begin to attract many more new users, including thousands of our old forum users who went to Phoenix Rising in search of a better user experience when ProHealth changed to the last (crummy) software. I am terribly sorry about that and I accept responsibility. This is one of the costs of being a patient—not being able to keep too many plates spinning at the same time, and the forum plate, as far as I am concerned, fell and broke. This is our chance to put it back together again.

Thanks for your participation on this—and your patience. Rome was not build in a day, but Disneyland broke ground and opened to the world in less than a year. We will try to get it done as quickly as possible. We are committed to it.

Let’s get this thing taken care of together,
    Rich
    We are compiling a list of suggestions and making a priority list of things to do to make the new forum better. Here are just a few things from this page that we will look at tomorrow. Keep 'em coming

• The most annoying aspect of this site (and Phoenix forums in general) is the repeat of the 'poster's message in the reply. is there any way the original post can stay at the top only?
    • It would be great to have a little section at the top of the page, front and center, easy to see, easy to read, that bluntly states how to use the forum features. Nothing very long at all, but as thorough as possible though. Probably bullet - points and maybe even easy links at the end, if needed? Something along those lines. That would make it easier for everyone, and it would ease some serious anxieties.
    • Laura's made a sad but true observation--" The last format change made this a lonely place, and I fear now it will become virtually abandoned. How very sad for fibro sufferers." (I take responsibility for the old, crummy forms. Now you know why we are upgrading).
    • Is there a way to ask questions of the moderators? GB66
    • We do not need to see our own post 'reposted' every time someone responds...annoyingly redundant. i have studied this format, wish you the best of luck with it, but frankly, you may see a decrease in postings...people visiting here less often, as happened last time, which may impact your product sales as well.
    paulac7 likes this.
  15. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Thanks, Rich, for posting this...I agree that the last software used wasn't one of the better ones I've dealt with...I like this format MUCH better...and appreciate all the work and planning to make this transition as smooth as possible...I think PH is doing an incredible job, and want to thank ya'll...

I'm thinking a FAQ at the top of the page would be a good idea....and to those of those who don't like the new 'bells and whistles' so to speak....there is a really simple solution to that issue....Don't use them.....no rule that says you have to use all the features, but I think that it's nice that they are there for those of use who would like to use them...

I kind of figured, also that the forums weren't any real great generator of revenue....a lot of sites I purchase things from, have forums and chat.... and rarely, if ever, do I participate...I just like the people here....People who want to shop for supplements and be done with it, aren't gonna hang out on a message board all day...;) but it's really nice that PH has these boards for us to use...

Thanks, again!!
    richcarson likes this.
  16. richcarson

richcarson Moderator

Thanks for such a nice message Paula, and I think you got the point exactly right--or at least as I see it. Most people seem to like the new forums more than the old forums, and we will only get better from here.

Rocking on,
    Rich :)
    paulac7 likes this.
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Is there a way to fix my screen so that the posts do not run over? I can't read the posts. I have to scroll to the right on every post, to read or to write one. It was ok for one day and then went back to this problem. I can't use the board like this. The entire second half is off the screen. I've left several requests for help but no response. Please, help. Thanks GB66
  18. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Laura - Once you start using this format you will get used to it. Personally I think this format is much better than the previous one. You will find it much easier to find posts now that there are the different categories. Just give it time. :)
  19. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have studied this forum all week, every day, and I still don't like it. Sorry. I still think it has a sloppy, rambling look to it, not streamlined at all. I write and blog, for many different forums, so I am used to different sites, templates, etc. This new format here is not as difficult to read as it is annoying. Some of the new features are nice, but not worth the tradeoff in my opinion. And just as an FYI, my user name is lgp with an 'L' not an 'I'. :)
    bct likes this.
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member