I think topomax is bad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bellydonna, Aug 1, 2008.

1. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

Okay, my search didn't pull-up any topomax threads more current than Spring so I'm starting a new thread.

Since different things affect people diffrently, get out your proverbial grain of salt.

I need to share that my experience on Topomax was dreadful. It made me a completely different person and one that not even I like.

It felt as though my brain really didn't work- worse than my usual brain fog. I could not due simple math: 2+2=4. I lost all good sense.

The only positive is that I lost 100 lbs in about 6 mos: all of the weight that I have gained being too tired and taking other meds. Still, not worth it. Initially it helped relieve pain but not for long. I kept taking it hoping for "my relationship with Topomax would be Good again- like at the beginning." Sorta like a love gone wrong. LOL

Anyone else take topomax? Good experiene/bad?

Love to all
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I started taking it early Dec. 07. The first three weeks, I lost a lot of 'words". Just couldn't bring them up. After that time, I was normal again. It's helped my headaches so much I can't tell you! You definitely have to go up in dose slowly. It has also helped my sleep and also my arm stiffness in the morning.

Like everything else, some things work for some, not for others. Sorry it's not good for you.
  3. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

I almost lost my hubby to it. He had just started his masters program when he started Topamax and by summer semester he couldn't write a paper to save his life. He felt ashamed about being "stupid" so he lied about his grades which is so not like him. He failed all his classes and went into a deep depresion.

after a year of this we finally figured out what the problem was and 1 week after being off the meds I got my hubby back! He is doing great in school, doing volenter work and just happy.

Topamax did nothing for my pain so I was only on it for a very short time. Scary stuff!