I think you can get naltrexone without prescription!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Apr 20, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

I am excited about this drug it has worked well for so many people. not a cure all but inexpensive and a drug that has been around a while.
    So lets get our heads together here and find out they are through the 2 or 3 round at Stanford and it looks good they say and this is not drug Co studies.
    I want to know where to get it ? You can get any other drug in the world why not this since it is cheap and low side affects.
    Oh maybe I just answered my question!
  2. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Hey Jamin,
    Do you take this also? I have been reading bout this helping alchoholics and my son needs to quit. So this medication is not addictive? Ruthie
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just want to let you know that if you're on any opiate type pain meds, DO NOT take ANY Naltrexone! I was prescribed this at 50mg, but first time (and last!) only took a quarter of a pill (12.5mg) and within 10 minutes became VIOLENTLY ill. The worst med induced experience of my life!

Long story short, I had been taking Vicodin and Norco daily for a couple of yrs, and this sent me into immediate withdrawals. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. I was so sick (just like the heroin addicts going thru withdrawals that you see on TV), shaking, diar, vomiting, WEAK, aching muscles, involuntary muscle spasms etc. Absolutely freaked me out!

Even tho my Dr was aware of my pain med usage, for some unknown reason he thought I'd be able to tolerate this med. I think he made a mistake personally. He told me it would help w pain, HA. This Dr is always so great, but I couldn't believe he made such a mistake (but he's only human). I'm not the "sue happy" type, so I wasn't even thinking of that. Also, 2 pharmacists failed to give me any warning info (they also filled my Norco rx)...big screw up all around.

I threw away the rest of the bottle...didn't want to ever look at it again! I was blown away at how violently I reacted, it proved just how highly dependent I was on the Norco. I saw my Dr afterwards, and he was very apologetic but said he has other patients that are able to take Naltrexone along w their pain meds (but they must not be dependent on them). Who knows. I'm super sensitive to all meds.

Just thought I'd share, wouldn't want anyone to go thru what I did. My greatest fear is having something happen where I'd have to quit my meds cold turkey and go thru withdrawals like this. I'd rather go thru childbirth w no drugs!!!
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

I was wondering about that-the drug websites say that you have to stop all alcohol and narcotics a week before starting naltraxone, and you can't use anything with alcohol (including cough medicine) or narcotics while taking it. The low-dose amount is pretty low, so would someone on say 3mgs have the same reaction?

Sorry your dr. & pharmacists did that to you-it seems like that is something they should have known about!
  5. medrep50

medrep50 New Member

Last year I researched LDN and was so excited about starting it. I use pain patches and lortabs so I had my dr switch me to darvocet and I started tapering off my pain patches. I even ordered the 50 mg tablets and had them and a pill crusher, ready to go.

I lasted 10 days tapering off the patches. By the tenth day, not only was I in alot of pain, but I also was in the depths of depression. Total despair. Luckily I was aware enough to slap a pain patch on myself. It took over a week to start feeling better.

I was so disappointed! I hope some of you get a chance to try it. It really looks to be helpful with so many disorders, not just fm.

6. znewby

znewby Member

I checked and there is no requirement not to use alcohol.
  7. spacee

spacee Member

I read that if you take thyroid med, you need to have an even lower dose like 1mg.

8. outofstep

outofstep Member

Does LDN have different restrictions than regular naltrexone? This is what the Drugs website says about regular naltrexone:

"Do not use narcotic drugs or alcohol while taking naltrexone oral...Ask your doctor before using any prescription or over-the-counter medicine to treat a cold, cough, diarrhea, or pain while taking naltrexone oral. These medicines may contain narcotics or alcohol.

Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to naltrexone, or if you have:
    a history of alcohol or narcotic drug use within the past 7-10 days"

[This Message was Edited on 04/22/2009]
  9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Naltrexone in the USA is an FDA approved med, by RX only. The low-dose compounded version is also by RX only; few docs will RX LDN as it is considered off-label prescribing. (Meaning: used for a purpose other than that which the drug won FDA approval for -- in this case, treating opiate addiction.)

At this time, Naltrexone can be ordered from overseas. There are various pharmacies; most require a brief medical history to be filled out & reviewed by the pharmacy's on-staff physician. While Naltrexone is indeed an inexpensive med, shipping & handling from foreign countries is NOT inexpensive & typically exceeds the cost of the drug.

Note: if you order Naltrexone from overseas, you are on your own w/home-compounding it down to the low-dose version. The tablets are 50 mg. & many people start at 0.5 to 1.0 mg. You need to be able to understand basic math to do this & have access to a few metric-measurement tools.

Regarding thyroid issues -- yes, people on T meds or who have known hypERthyroid issues should start with a dose < 1.5 mg. This is because sometimes LDN improves thyroid function & people can go hyper at higher doses. So if there are thyroid issues, start low & increase slowly.

There are numerous drug interactions w/LDN. The list is quite long, but basically narcotic/opiate meds, synthetic or natural basis, opiate receptor agonists, immune modulators/biologics & steroid meds are the main categories of meds that must be discontinued in order for LDN to work. It can be difficult for those who are being maintained on narcotic pain meds to wean off in order to successfully transition to LDN.

This information is not meant to put the kabosh on those who wish to try LDN. LDN has been very helpful, perhaps even life-saving, for some people. But there are a number of logistical problems (at this point in time, anyway) that must be addressed by any individual wishing to pursue LDN therapy.

Best wishes.