I thought Fibromyalgia was a Syndrome ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Everyone, I just posted another question asking what did "DD" mean in the post I have been reading.

Sorry, but this confuses me because I thought what we had was a syndrome and not classified as a disease?????

I have read that a Disease is a condition with a clearly identified cause.

A Syndrome refers to a set of symptoms which define a condition but there is not a proven cause.

I would like anyone else to share their personal opinion on this if you like.

2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

My doctor calls it a disease.I have read letters from the Center for disease control that they also called it a disease .

As far as I'm concerned I have a disease that has no cure.I do not consider it a syndrome.

Sue
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

it a "disease" now and calling it a
    "Central Nervous System Disease" as
    more and more evidence points to it
    as originating in the Central Nervous System. I personally have ALWAYS thought of it as a disease because to
    me the word syndrome just doesn't put
    enough explanation of the symptoms and pain we deal with. It may not yet be technically considered a disease by all but I truly believe as more and more research comes out it will leave no doubt about it.
  4. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

I refer to it as a Disorder
  5. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

ILLNESS...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

seems just that to me. AIDS is a syndrome, but they know its cause and treatment.

Jeanne
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

In my opinion I believe that Fibro is a syndrome and not a disease.

For everyone that replied thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.