i took Benadryl

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Sep 27, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

last nite because I was itching profusely from poison oak.
    Anyway, this morning I actually feel wonderful!!!!
    The weather turned cool overnight, and usually that triggers a lot of FM pain for me.
    But this morning I woke up actually feeling great.
    I wonder if something in the Benadryl helped me, or if it's just a coincidence.

Anyone else ever take Benadryl and was helped by it???

2. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

maybe that is why you feel better? sleep is so important to help with muscle relaxation. I dont have fibro but I do have RA and if I dont sleep well then I can feel terrible the next day. Benadryl does help you sleep but can sometimes give you a hangover feeling. I'm glad you feel better today! hope it keeps up! :)
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Works wonders for some people, especially for sleep and sinuses, poison ivy, oak, etc. I am one of the few that can't take it. It works the opposite on me. It makes me very nervous, jumpy and no way can I relax or sleep!

Glad you can take it, its a big help for a lot of people.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

YES, some people do treat their FM with antihistamines. Some as a sleep aid, but others find it more generally helpful.

Doesn't work for everybody with FM -- only a subset -- but apparently some people have a histamine excess thing going.

If you find the histamine is generally helpful on a fairly regular basis, you might also look into the food-histamine connection & see if it applies to you.

Best wishes.
  5. loto

loto Member

I thought i had read that before, but of course couldn't remember!

I don't have trouble sleeping, that's not an issue for me, so I don't think that's the reason it helped me, but it definitely helped me with my usual morning stiffness and pain.
    Amazing to me that it helped. I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning when I get up without taking the Benadryl tonite.

Thanks all!!

6. lukro

lukro Member

and take benadryl on occasion and it does nothing for my pain. It must have some ingredient that your body loves or it was a coincidence.

I look forward to reading what others w/ fibro have to say.
  7. loto

loto Member

a coincidence, but what amazed me is that a cold front went through over nite and I usually feel worse when that happens!!!! I'm going to experiment a little more with this.
    I won't take any tonite, or for a few days for that matter, and then take it again and see what happens. Actually I'll wait and take it one nite when I'm feeling a lot of pain, and see how i feel in the morning when i wake.
    It's worth an experiment to me. Anything that won't harm me is worth a try!!!!!!

8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I take a 12.5 mg. Benadryl every night before bed and it helps my sinuses, allergies, and helps me go to sleep. The capsules are 25mg. so I use the children's chewables, they're not as strong. GB66
  9. loto

loto Member

The experiment I was going to do to see if Benadryl makes me feel better will have to wait because I had to get a cortisone shot yesterday for this spreading poison oak!
    And, the cortisone shots take care of chronic pain for me from my waist up. (Strange how it stops there, and my legs, etc hurt worse after the injection)

So, I'll have to wait at least a month till I can tell the cortisone starts wearing off to get clear results for the experiment.
    I feel kind of silly for thinking of doing an experiment, but I'm so desparate for any type of relief!! LOL

10. lukro

lukro Member

when your poison oak lets up. Sorry to hear that you are going through this.

Let us know when you continue your experiment.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

I took it a couple of weeks ago for sleep and I do remember waking up feeling pretty good

Poison Oak is NASTY - I get it alot - tried every remedy out there

Best thing that I have found is the moment you see a suspicious spot, but alcohol on it. Not good to do after the rash has broken out and is oozing though
  12. loto

loto Member

This is the first time in my life I've had it!!!

I will repost when i continue my experiment!!!

Has anyone else experimented???