I urge everyone here to have an mri of your neck if you havn't

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by floridagrl, Apr 5, 2010.

1. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

just had an mri of my neck - have a syrinx which is akin to chiari malformation. Of course all of the herniated discs and loss of cervical curvature as well

It is scary but now I know I have been misdiagnosed. I see surgery in my near future.

These links explain the condition and the first also says this condition is sometimes misdiagnosed as fibro.
  2. loto

loto Member

I'm so glad you posted this.

I had an mri of my neck, but it's been a few years. I do have herniated discs and degenerative disc disease in my neck.

I've been wondering lately if my doctor will order another mri of it for me. Seems like it gives me more trouble lately.

3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

So "glad" to hear you found out what was really going on with you. People like you are a prime example of why these doctors need to take us more seriously instead of just going, "Well you have fibro" or "you have chronic fatigue syndrome" just because we don't fit in anywhere else. I'm glad you got that MRI!

This disease seems like a lot to take in... (((hugs))) Do they know what triggered it? As in, is this the primary problem, or the result of something else that happened (it says the second type can be triggered by meningitis, etc)?

Now you can really figure out an action plan, thanks for sharing this with us
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

hi there is a lot of good info out there about how neck problems or chiari can tie into fms cfs in some cases.
    I looked into all that ten years ago and considerd getting surgery but too scared because I have bad MCS and anesthesia hurts me.
    If you get a chance read my recent post to cleo about atlas issues. It tells some of my issues around it I would be curious if you relate to any of it.
    What are your biggest symptoms? I am in a hurry right now so can't write a lot but want to check in more later.
  5. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

My doc seems to think it is postramatic. I have been in a couple of bad car accidents. I did have neck problems before though so I am having a different type of mri to see if this is the case. Sometimes there is no know cause. I'm pretty sure it was caused by disc hernation.
  6. loto

loto Member

you mentioned you see surgery in your future.

Do you know yet what type of surgery? I mean, is there a surgery for the syrinx(sp?), or will you have surgery for the herniated discs?

Just wondering. I wish something could be done with my neck. I do have FM pain, but some of my pain is actually caused by the herniated discs in my neck. It travels down into my arms and gives me pain, and has been getting gradually worse. A few years ago when an mri discoverd the disc problems, my primary doctor said at the time it could not be helped by any type of surgery at that time.

Anyway, I am happy that you have a diagnosis and can get help!