I used the electric scooter at groc store

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

for the FIRST time ever yesterday. i have been wanting to use it for years!! but was too embarassed etc. i wanted to use it because after i go to groc store or other large store it puts my feet and back into a painful flare!!!!!!!!! very painful!!!! ( i have horrible heel spurs in feet and in back i have bulging discs) but i was embarassed because i am youngish (late 30s but look younger) and also i am overweight.

well i rode around with a very sheepish look on my face the whole time, feeling afraid someone would yell at me or something. or give me a mean look. but it was fine. and heres the miracle-afterwards my feet and back had no pain!!!!! yay!!!!!

i used the scooter again tonite at a walmart. i felt way less sheepish. i was zipping around and turning the corners like a pro!

i wish i had used that scooter years ago. it would have saved me a ton of pain. which would have helped me lose weight, er maybe. when your feet and back are killing you- you sure cant exercise-not even take a walk. (swim is only option and i do that)

so i just wanted to share this- in case any of you are in similar situation. JUST USE THE SCOOTER!!!!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Did you have to get a key from the manager? Did anyone ask if you were a licensed driver?
    If it had been a Laurel and Hardy movie, you would have hit a pyramid of cans.

But then again, they didn't have such scooters in the L & H days. You would have had
    to be riding a motorcycle and go thru the window.

You can't use a scooter at the 99 cent store. They have the most cluttered aisles in
    retail shopping.

Hope you find more stores where you can ride while you shop.

3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I haven't used it yet, but, I know the feeling. I think one of the reasons I don't go anywhere is because I don't want to walk and get the pain afterwards. If I do go shopping, I rarely am in a store more than 15-20 minutes.

And why is it that if someone sees an overweight person (such as myself) using it, they almost automatically think they are lazy or just too big to walk around.....On the other hand, if someone sees a thin person using it, they almost automatically feel sorry for her?

What a society we live in.
  4. Ladyblu

Ladyblu New Member

Good for you hun. That is exactly what those carts are for. Dont even think twice about being on them. I have had to use them for years, and I do get odd looks but I ignore them and think to myself. (Ya know i could totally run over your toes) lol

It makes a big difference especially when you are in a big store like walmart. I would probably fall over dead if I had to walk the whole store.

Just one word of caution. If you use them late in the day sometimes they run out of juice. I have been stranded in the back of the store on a cart before, and the store manager had to bring me another one. lol

Keep on trucking!!!!

5. kaymac42

kaymac42 New Member

This message sounds like I wrote it! I too used a scooter chair for the first time in December during Christmas and I wondered why I had not done so before. It felt GREAT!
    But I did experience the issues of will others stare, will they think I am not deserving because I'm large, or will they think I'm just lazy and fat and need it?? Then I ran into 2 women from church and felt a rush of embarrassment even tho they know I suffer with FM! Why? I don't know.

I haven't used it again because I still fight the issues, and I don't really go out and shop. But the message here is empowering that we all deal with the same mental anguish of should be or do we deserve to ride in one?

I would definately go to the superstore more or malls, if I would ride more. The pain in my legs after walking is horrible. I have heel spurs and achilles tendonitis, but my legs and back spasm for hours if I go to the grocery store. I've got to make this a personal committment that I deserve the chair just like others with chronic diseases or disabilities.
  6. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Definately use the scooter chairs if you need them.
    That is exactly what they have them for,
    No one knows the pain we live with and they never will.
    Horray for the scooter chair !!!!

7. daboysone

daboysone New Member

i too used the scooter for the 1st time at walmart and like you thought i would get dirty looks and remarks, as I am 44, but didn't. Had my fighting words ready! However, while i was in the scooter i forgot i could stand up to look at things on the other side of the isle! :) Mother and i laughed about that. 2nd time i used it again at walmart i did better and could tolerate better the lengthy time we were at walmart (as we all know we go in for 1 thing, buy 200 things, wait in the check out line 40 min's or more because the store is packed and they have a whole 4 checkers!). However, i still felt embarassed and prayed i would not see anyone i knew. But i will have to learn to get over this and do what i have to do to get through that huge store.
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you finally got be brave enough to use it. If you need to use it, GO FOR IT !! Anyone else that feels they needs to use it shoudl do so. I know you feel embarrassed and think someone is going to put you down. If anyone did then go get em (-: !!

I know some people can get rather brason and confrontational but I think most people would probably not think that way.

So glad that you are feeling better for having used it. Keep on doing so.

Hugs. Granni