I usually avoid "inspirational" quotes & stories but

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mbofov, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

am making an exception here. Inspiring stories of one-legged athletes when I can't even do my dishes or wash my hair make me depressed. (although today is a good day, I got protein bars made and my dishes done!)

Anyways, my sister-in-law died recently way too young (55) from uterine cancer. I think and hope that in the not too distant future this will be known as the dark ages of cancer therapy - chemo therapy temporaily killing cancer cells but destroying the immune system so they come back stronger than ever, even if you "beat" cancer, having chemo brain, heart damage, damage from radiation, etc. etc. When promising treatments such as Burzynski's in Texas are almost run out of existence (see the movie Burzynski, available on streaming Netflix - it will make you want to cry or kill someone), or when IV vitamin C treatment is not seriously explored, It really does make you wonder - cancer treatment is a billion dollar industry and if there were a cure that didn't kill or maim, lots of people stand to lose a lot of money. Okay that's my rant on that and not why I started this post.

What I wanted to say is that my brother had a holy card printed for the funeral mass, and I am not big on religion either, but there's a quote from Rilke on the back which I think is very good, so here it is (sorry you had to wade through my rant to get to this):

"I beg you ...., to have patience with
    Everything that is unresolved in your heart
    and try to love the questions themselves
    as if they were locked rooms or
    books written in a very foreign language.
    Don't search for the answers,
    which will not be given to you now,
    because you would not be able to live.
    And, the point is to live everything.
    Live with the questions now.
    Perhaps then, someday far in the future,
    you will gradually, without even
    noticing it, live your way into the answers."

All I seem to have are questions, so reading this calmed me down :)

(And moderators, Rilke's work is no longer under copyright so it's okay to post this.)

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,

I read that Rilke is one of the best selling poets in the USA. Many of his poems have been set
    to music. Unfortunately the composers are usually guys like Schoenberg, Hindemith, Berg,
    Webern. Composers no one listens to except other musicians, teachers and music students. He'd be
    much better known if he had appealed to composers like Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, Richard
    Rodgers, and John Denver.

Reminds me of a soprano I went to school with. After graduation she went to Yale to study music.
    Became an opera singer. Made some recordings but mostly of modern music be people like Ernst
    Krenek who taught at my school back in the 1940s.

Anyhoo Rilke was born in Prague and died in Switzerland where he is buried. His tombstone
    bears the epitaph he wrote. I see his name now and then in novels and other books of poetry.

The poem is a refreshing change from Tennyson's "Let there Be No Moaning at the Bar"
    which was on the back of every funeral program I saw when I was young.

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Rock - thanks for all the info! I generally don't read poetry (though am an avid reader of everything else) but I may just have to look into Rilke. You can access some of his work for free at Gutenberg.org - free downloads of tons of books that are out of copyright in all sorts of formats.

I don't remember Tennyson's "let there be no moaning ..." though I have seen one about a ship sailing out of sight, only to be greeted on new shores with cries of "here she comes!" This was used at my mother's funeral, and it was rather moving.

By the way - why not order the coconut oil while you think of it. You can google "coconut oil Alzheimer's" for more info. It may or may not help, but it certainly won't hurt! I have probably become a pest of sorts - whenever anyone anywhere complains of anything, I seem to have a remedy at the ready .....

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Oh, I doubt anyone thinks of you as a pest, Mary. Thanks for the reminder about
    the cocoa puffs. I mean oil. I ordered it by phone yesterday. That and feeding the
    dog and washing the dishes. I sure don't do much these days.

I don't know the poem about the ship sailing outta sight, but I remember Longfellow's "Ship Of State"
    from about tenth grade. I used to know part of it. Better refresh my memory.

Thou, too, sail on, O Ship of State!
    Sail on, O Union, strong and great!
    Humanity with all its fears,
    With all the hopes of future years,
    Is hanging breathless on thy fate!

It's the kinda poem that sounds best when read by someone with a voice like Richard Burton
    or Carl Sandburg.

Every several years or so I get a book with a title like "Great American Poems" from the library.
    Much of the stuff we read in High School is found therein. I wonder if kids read any poetry nowadays.

I just got a book of poetry by Mark Svenvold from the library. He's the author of the book I read
    about the fun house mummy who turned out to be the real life outlaw from a century ago.
    His prose was terrific but the poem are so bad I can hardly believe it. Maybe I will post an example
    on the book thread.

I bid thee a fond Adieu.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Well, I feed my cat, and do the dishes. But the cat takes priority.

I just looked up the book by Mark Svenvold about the mummy and the outlaw - looks intriguing! I'm always looking for new authors.

Here's the poem about the ship, by Henry Van Dyke, called "Parable of Immortality" (and this is also out of copyright):

I am standing upon the seashore.
    A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze
    and starts for the blue ocean.
    She is an object of beauty and strength,
    and I stand and watch until at last she hangs
    like a speck of white cloud
    just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.
    Then someone at my side says,
    " There she goes! "
    Gone where?
    Gone from my sight . . . that is all.
    She is just as large in mast and hull and spar
    as she was when she left my side
    and just as able to bear her load of living freight
    to the place of destination.
    Her diminished size is in me, not in her.
    And just at the moment
    when someone at my side says,
    " There she goes! "
    there are other eyes watching her coming . . .
    and other voices ready to take up the glad shout . . .
    " Here she comes! "

I am not sentimental but every time I read this I start to cry, I guess thinking about my mom.

Anyways, glad you ordered the cocoa pu - whoops! - I mean coconut oil - here's one article you might find interesting: http://www.tampabay.com/news/health...earch-into-coconut-oil-for-alzheimers/2124596

Best wishes,

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you all for starting my day off with inspiration. When my Mom died, it was one particular card with a prayer card enclosed which gave me such comfort. I cannot replicate it here because it is copyrighted. I was with Mom when she died and saw her reach out to whomever had come to get her to take her Home and that was a great comfort too but it was the words on that prayer card which gave me such peace. We never know when we send a card to someone just how much it might mean to them. Same with our simple little acts of kindness in our everyday lives. Jesus said that whatever little acts of kindness we do for one another, we do for Him.

Deepak Chopra has said each and every little thing we do lifts all of humanity. We are to share with others. If we have nothing to give, we can give a smile or a silent prayer to help someone who is suffering. I have found the same is true of sharing a laugh. At the doc's office, the women in the front office were cutting up and we all got caught up in it, including another patient. I cannot tell y'all how it lifted us all first thing in the morning. I never underestimate silliness in life. I even joked with my doc.

I was in Target the other day and a nice gentleman stopped to let me go ahead of him. I thanked him and told him he was a gentleman but said I was going to leave my cart inside and carry my bags out. He bowed low very dramatically and said, "At least I can open the door for you," (the doors are automatic). Well, it cracked me up and we both had a good laugh.

When I go out, I look for opportunities to offer little kindnesses and I accept them too. A study once showed that when you do a kindness, the benefit of well-being stayed with you for quite some time. But even more surprising is that the well-being not only stayed with you, it stayed with the receiver of the kindness and any onlookers. Wow! This is powerful stuff.

BTW, Mary, I make feeding Simon first thing my priority. It's what gives me a reason to get up. Just to see his beautiful little face first thing in the morning is inspiring.

Love, Mikie
  7. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Mary...Your cancer rant was right up my alley. I'm (basically) a 12 yr. survivor (a 1 in 10 chance), but the impact of the chemo along with the other drugs I was given (not even mentioning radiation) has caused so many difficulties for me, they're too numerous to mention. I did end up having to have a double mastectomy...not from the cancer spreading, but from the impact of the chemo and radiation causing another form of cancer.

Cancer treatment is an "industry"...so I'm very doubtful they'll ever truly find a "cure". Yes, it would put a lot of people out of business (and it IS big business). My stance is "halt the cause"...

Along with Burzynski, there was a guy by the name of Hoxsey who was driven from the U.S. (mainly) by the American Cancer Society. Oddly enough, over time, some of his methods were eventually introduced as treatments.

To all of you...I enjoyed all the quotes. I'm not much into poetry, but they all have profound meaning. I especially liked Rilke's "questions".

And, yes, doing small gestures of kindness does have such a positive impact. So many of the younger generation tend to be rude, but when one comes along saying "please", "excuse me" and "thank you", I praise the parents...and gone out of my way to tell them. I hate having someone behind me at a store with fewer items than myself and let them go ahead of me. These little things do have a positive impact...not just on them, but me as well...

I'm a "transplant" from CA to rural living. One thing about living rural...it's not unusual to strike up a conversation with a total stranger and have a great conversation. Can't do that much in CA...they think you're planning to rat pack them...LOL.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mary, almost forgot--Dr. Dakos, one of the docs who does the peptide injections here, had advanced bladder cancer. He went to Britain to get the peptide treatment for cancer. He is an elderly man and there is no trace of the cancer which he thought would kill him. That's how he got into the peptide treatments. I don't know whether the peptides work for all kinds of cancer or for everyone. I wish this treatment would become more easily obtainable here.

Love, Mikie
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mikie - thanks for all your thoughts. It sometime seems that's all I can do, is be kind, since I'm so limited physically. I want to be out doing things, but anyways .... I had an experience at WalMart recently - had to buy a fan, it was very hot and mine had broken - but the checkout line was at least 15 minutes long. I don't do well standing for any length of time (crash more easily etc.) so finally found a little shelf I could sit on while waiting and the lady in front of me very kindly just grabbed my basket and pulled it forward as the line slowly moved. I told her I'd been sick so got tired easily (no way to explain CFS in 1 minute or less!) and then as she got near the front she announced that I was to go ahead of her, no arguing about it, and then the girl ahead of her said the same thing - I thanked them profusely and was quite moved (started to cry a little) - they were both so kind. We had chatted throughout (about our cats - what else!) So you are quite right in everything you said and you said it so well -

I remember reading about Dr. Dakos and how the peptide treatment cured him - I'd forgotten about it. Hopefully hopefully if Big Pharma does jump on the bandwagon it will become more readily available!

Simon sounds adorable. I wonder often about my relationship with my Ms. Kitty (a beautiful sleek black cat with golden-green eyes) and finally figured it out - I feed her and pet her, and, she lets me do it! Symbiotic :)

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Windy - I am so sorry to hear about what a rough time you had with your cancer treatment. I can't imagine going through what you did. I really do think we're in the dark ages - I think there's hope but there's so much resistance to new non-toxic treatments it's going to take awhile (and also so much money invested in standard treatments, probably where most of the resistance comes from) And of course, as you said, halting the cause is top priority.

I live in semi-rural California (high desert) - sort of a cross between big city and rural - friendlier than the big city but not quite like what you have - it is nice, isn't, the friendliness of small places!

I will look up Hoxsey, he sounds interesting -

Best wishes,

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Mary, thanks so much for your inspiring story. They did you a favor but you also did one for them. You graciously allowed them to do a kindness in order to fulfill their purpose in life. We really are here to help each other. That's what I love about our little online family here. We practice what is preached. I believe in Karma. So many good things have come my way lately that I wonder how I could possibly be worthy. Oh well, I'll keep trying to pay it forward and hope the goodness keeps coming.

Just got my radiology test results back by phone in only two days. Mammo was normal and no further bone loss in hip. I have a credit balance on my credit card. My TV was not working right after a thunderstorm and I unplugged it for a while and when I plugged it back in, it worked! TADA! It isn't the big stuff which gets to me; it's the little everyday annoyances. A string of good news is certainly always welcome.

Big Pharma is definitely on the peptide trail but heaven only knows how much they will charge for their treatments and whether ins. will pay. Oxford has been trying to keep their formulas from Big Pharma to keep the cost down. Yes, $300 a shot is expensive but it just covers the costs.

Wish I could get close to Simon but he's wild and it's important to him, in his mind, to stay away from people for his survival. I don't know whether he's feral or just had something very traumatic happen to him. He lets me know with his love looks that he appreciates the breakfast I put out for him every day. Tweety, on the other hand, can't get enough love and petting. Sylvester hasn't been here in a while. He's too hot to come out from under the car. It can't be easy having long black hair in this heat. I think we are very lucky to have cats and dogs in our lives.

Love, Mikie
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mikie - I'm very glad to hear you got good test results, and the credit card and TV are the icing on the cake. My swamp cooler was leaking so had to shut it off in 100 degree heat, the park handyman put a lot of goop on it and voila! - no more leak and today my mobile home is cool and it's over 100 out - whew! am very grateful for that.

Burzynski in Texas is doing work with peptides, only his treatments cost tens of thousands of dollars unfortunately, not the $300 per injection you paid. I don't know why he charges so much more or how his work compares to that done in England. I know he has had several legal battles with the medical powers that be which is not cheap. I believe they have finally allowed him to conduct clinical trials, with the unfortunate caveat that the patients have to first undergo traditional chemo, radiation etc.

I agree, we are very fortunate to have our pets, any type of animal. I read somewhere that animals actually help us be humans, we would be much less without them --

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you, Mary, for your sweet good wishes. Things don't always go so well for us so when they do, it is sooooo nice. I'm glad you got the swamp cooler going. Geez, we live and die by those things and/or our A/C. After Hurricane Charley, we were without power for 36 hrs. The only saving grace was the post-storm winds. I opened up the windows and let the wind blow through. I had enough warm water for one quick shower. I used a brush in front of the window to "style" my hair. It actually didn't look too bad.

I would stay away from any doc like this. All the docs I've heard of who are working with Oxford are just charging enough to cover their costs. There are people out there working with peptides and proteins but they don't all have the original formulas from Oxford which are tried and true. From what my doc tells me, we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to what they think this line of treatment will be able to do. That's exciting!

I really believe the animals in my life have saved my life. A psychic told me that our animals come to help us and heal us. This is their spiritual mission. They have also taught me so much. Barb said she will put Simon's breakfast out for him in Dec. when I'm in CO. Just picked her up from the airport with her daughter. Her DD took us out to the Outback and it was delicious. Had to bring half mine back for tomorrow. Mmmmm!

Enjoy your evening.

Love, Mikie