I value your opinions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Nov 17, 2002.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

I am new to everything here... FM/ the boards etc...

the doctors are telling me ( mostly Chiro at this point, but Family Physician too ) That my illness has been brought about by TOO MUCH STRESS and repetitive work injury. I have been at the same job ( hospital Lab ) for 12 years, although the last 4 years we have been severely short staffed. The last time someone left it took 8 months to replace them. ( HR drags their feet ) I am thinking about suing my employer.
    What do you think???
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

I am new to everything here... FM/ the boards etc...

the doctors are telling me ( mostly Chiro at this point, but Family Physician too ) That my illness has been brought about by TOO MUCH STRESS and repetitive work injury. I have been at the same job ( hospital Lab ) for 12 years, although the last 4 years we have been severely short staffed. The last time someone left it took 8 months to replace them. ( HR drags their feet ) I am thinking about suing my employer.
    What do you think???
  3. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

Welcome to the board! I think it would be difficult to sue them...unless your Doctor's can prove this is what caused your FM. You could have had FM and then the work conditions made it worse. Be prepared to lose your job if you sue.
    Good luck
    Duffsangel
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can file a Work Comp case stating that the stress, repetitive tasks, and understaffing are adversely affecting your health. If the hospital has an Employee Assistance Program, ask to see a therapist and document what is going on. Then, if you are dismissed, think about suing for unlawful dismissal, but check with an atty. first. Most work on a contingency basis and will not accept a case if they do not expect to win.

Love, Mikie
  5. JP

JP New Member

Welcome Susabar,

These are difficult issues. Worker comp is a whole other bag of major stress. I have never filed and I have watched my employees and others suffer a great deal more from worker comp than the original injury or condition. Work comp is your right however, and I trust you will make the perfect decision. I worked for a large employer and I cared deeply about my employees. I did everything in my power to keep them safe and offered on-going education as well. It was my problem if we were understaffed, and I made this VERY clear to my staff. Work safety was a core value in my department.

Do you have a passionate safety leader and or safety meetings to address these concerns? If so, can you invite those responsible for hiring into these meetings to be part of the problem solving team? This does very little for your current concerns and it may offer prevention for others in an effort to raise awareness.

Just some thoughts...take care of yourself...jan