I wanna go shopping & caroling & see X-Mas lights like old times

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Dec 13, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

I always loved Christmas, the hustle and bustle...shpooing till I drop, driving around looking at the x-mas decorations, paties...the more the merrier....
    But this year I can't find the strength. It took me a week to get our little table top tree decorated...and it looks like crap. I am just so exhausted and by the time i get something done I'm in so much pain it's no fun.
    I really wanted to start baking my cookies today and I'm afraid I'll screw them up cause of the brain fog...then trying to muster the energy to stand up that long.
    I am not a lazy person, but I just can't get my feet underneith me and my brain in gear. I just want to sleep, that's not like me..I've always been up wiht the sun and goin all day.
    I'm really concerned too cause hubby is taking me to see my familiy for X-mas, 10 hrs away, and I'm afraid I'll be so pooped to do anything. My family hasn't seen me since I got sick...should be interesting

Any suggestions? I know I'm not alone on this one.
    Thanks for being here
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

I always loved Christmas, the hustle and bustle...shpooing till I drop, driving around looking at the x-mas decorations, paties...the more the merrier....
    But this year I can't find the strength. It took me a week to get our little table top tree decorated...and it looks like crap. I am just so exhausted and by the time i get something done I'm in so much pain it's no fun.
    I really wanted to start baking my cookies today and I'm afraid I'll screw them up cause of the brain fog...then trying to muster the energy to stand up that long.
    I am not a lazy person, but I just can't get my feet underneith me and my brain in gear. I just want to sleep, that's not like me..I've always been up wiht the sun and goin all day.
    I'm really concerned too cause hubby is taking me to see my familiy for X-mas, 10 hrs away, and I'm afraid I'll be so pooped to do anything. My family hasn't seen me since I got sick...should be interesting

Any suggestions? I know I'm not alone on this one.
    Thanks for being here
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Christmas was always my favorite time of year also. I lived in Vermont so we always had snow..here we dont get snow..we get rain. I'm homesick from Vermont doing the fun things with my freinds up there plus aggrevatied that I cant do things like I used to. I remember getting snow storms where where ever ya went you had to walk unless you had a snow machine(small town thou so it wasnt bad) you knew everyone in town and a Merry Christmas greeting was meant to be true. Now its all fake. I remember the sledding parties we had, taking sleigh rides, caroling up and down the street at night while the snow hit ya in the face. Falling in snowbanks looking for the "right tree". When it snowed you could stand outside and it was almost like the mountains were talking to ya, the snow covering made everything sound as if cotton balls were all around ya. You may here a snow plow in the distance or the wind wipping thru the trees. Christmas is all about snow, family, friends and being happy. I have no snow, my family is very "in their own world" and no friends here with me cause my good friends are in Vermont. Maybe one day I'll be able to be happy at Christmas again...
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Christmas is my favorite too!!! I hate the cold but I love the lights,the kids excitement,hot cocoa&warm jammies! I made myself go out with the family to cut our tree down.I love to make cookies,and shop for just the right gifts.But this year I need a swift kick in the a** to get me motivated!!! I need to wrap like NOW....but I just feel so yuk~ I think we gotta just fight the good fight and take the plunge!!!Oh we'll pay for it dearly,but lets just try to have some fun with this holiday!
    I'm in Ny and were expecting 6 inches tonight,possibly more!!
    best regards,
    Tracey
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know y'all probably do not want to hear this, but we cannot continue to try to do what we used to do nor can we focus on what we can't do.

Part of the grieving process is acceptance; in fact, acceptance is the final stage of the process. It doesn't mean we give up or give in. It means we don't make ourselves miserable over what we cannot control.

I have had to learn the hard way that to continue to try to live like I always did is counterproductive and stands in the way of healing. The world will not end if we do not make cookies (in fact, we shouldn't be eating cookies anyway). The world will not end if the Christmas Holidays are not one party after another. We can still enjoy the spirit of the season and enjoy the decorations as our energy allows.

This Christmas, I will be alone. I plan to get up early, go to the beach for a walk, and give thanks for all my many blessings. I'm not trying to portray myself as a saint here; I'm just realigning my activites to my new reality. I am looking forward to Christmas day for the real meaning of Christmas.

I hope all of us have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy the fact that despite our illnesses, we all have a lot to be thankful for. The choice is ours. We can talk ourselves into depression over what we are missing or we can own the experience and use our creativity to make our holidays meaningful and blessed.

Love, Mikie
  6. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

why not buy some deserts to take with you . i used to love to bake but like you said it is a effort to do .just rest up for the trip to see your family if you are going by car .may be you can sleep some .may be take a blaket to .sorry this is not much help it is all that i can think of now .hopefully your family understands the new you . my family, sisters think i can still do the things i used to do but what ever .my sister inlaws are better to me the party is here i just cook the meat and potatoes they are looking after the rest doing the emailing and calling bring more food i guess we will have about 40 here . thank god this only happens about 4 to 5 years . i hope i do not fall a sleep this time but it is a given .happy hoidays to you just go and have a good time
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You got a good suggestion to buy a few treats this year to take to your family, rather than spend time this year on your feet baking---you know what I've been doing a lot of this season, Achy? Getting into the Christmas spirit by sitting by my tree with my feet up, putting on some Christmas music (stuff I listened to as a kid...), sipping a cup of hot tea, petting my lap cat, and just generally making myself slow down & relax. The frenetic pace of this season can make a non-FM/CFS sufferer tired! I know you'd love to do all you previously did, but think of it this way: the best gift you can give yourself and your loved ones, is taking care of the person they love--YOU--the best way you can. Put on "The Nutcracker" or turn the radio to a holiday music station, and give yourself permission to sit & rest.

And have a good holiday visit with your family----people who love you will understand!

Holiday Hugs,
    Pam