"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" ... cuz it is GOOD for us...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, May 8, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

okay I retitled this, thought this was interesting about how simple touch from a loved one can be so beneficial... makes me re-wonder about Therapeutic Touch, something not considered by mainstream to work.

the following are excerpts from 'Daily Dose' email newsletter written by Dr. William C. Douglas:

-----------------
    According to a recent ScienceDaily article, a Boston University-affiliated study of nearly 3,000 married men and women concluded that women who keep their gripes, concerns, or negative feelings to themselves - who "suffer in silence" instead of airing things out with their spouses - actually risk dying at an alarmingly high rate compared to their hen-pecking peers.

In fact, the research showed that these zip-lipped gals were FOUR TIMES more likely to die of all combined causes (disease, accidents, suicide, etc.) than the loudmouthed ladies.

...some other research points to something that'll help - and it doesn't involve (husbands doing) chores, spending more time at the shopping mall, or maxing out the credit cards on new (stuff).

A touch of good medicine

Fellas, remember the very first "touch with intent" you shared with a girl - that electric moment that sent your heart leaping so long ago?

Chances are, it was the simple act of hand-holding that sent your endorphins flooding.

Well, apparently, this simple contact is still big medicine even for those who are up in years, especially the ladies...

According to a recent New York Times article, some modern research by University of Virginia and University of Wisconsin scientists showed a significant reduction in both emotional alarm and physical "fight or flight" responses among subject women whose hands were held by their husbands during brain scans under duress.

Holding the hand of a stranger helped these tense women slightly, but significantly less than those of their familiar spouses. The research points yet again to the mysterious and intangible relationship between closeness (or couple-hood) on health and well-being.

It's something we don't need science to tell those of us who are happily married...

Advocating hand-holding, not scolding,
    William Campbell Douglass II, MD
    ---------------------

No wonder that song was so popular?!?!

LOL,
    Victoria
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

DH and I are each others exact emotional opposites.

Hubby comes from the "stuff it down" side of dysfunction, whereas I am from the "let it all hang out with drama" end of the spectrum.

I've been with him for 13, married for 10 and wouldn't trade him for the world.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie