I want a companion while hubby is at work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I want to small dog..one that can lay on my lap and just cuddle with me..hubby is working 4:00p to 3:30am
    but I don't have alot of money as I am still waiting for disability to approve me and give me my backpay.
    I have been looking on the internet and the prices for the puppies I am interested is just crazy...I also looked at the SPCA near me and there are NO small dogs at all....
    any other suggestions as to where I can find one??? thanks
    Ann
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I must say your title got my attention! lol

Marta
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Ann:

You might call a local SPCA kennel and ask if they have a list of breed rescue organizations. I know that many different breeds have rescue groups that try to place that particular breed.

If the kennel does not know, try searching on the internet for your local area.

good luck.

Ingrid
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Craig's List site. It's a dot com.
    I know they don't allow selling animals on there but would probably take a pet wanted ad and it's free.
    Good luck!

By the way, I have lots of pets and they help me a lot. But I'd like a real life girlfriend type companion while my husband works. THAT is harder to find. And I mean FRIEND whose a female. LOL![This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Have you tried a rescue organization?

they usually have them on all breeds.

I got my golden retreiver that way
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Say that you are disabled and looking for a small bread pup.

Also that you are willing to take an older one.Sad to say but when some people die and leave there dog behind.Or even when there placed in a nursing home .Some family members put them down.

So by placing an add you may find that there are folks looking for homes for there little pets.

Hope you find one.Oh and you can also call your local senior center.Thats how I got my Mom a small dog.The owner was going to a nursing home and could not keep her dog.

Good Luck.
    Sue
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

I have a few little companions myself. They are so loyal. It might make you feel better if you had some company when your husband is working. What kind of doggie are you wanting?

Kriket
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The name of your thread certainly caught my and apparently others attention.

I have a dog that my husband bought for me when I had to leave my job. He did not ask me if I wanted or needed the dog. That was his excuse for getting the dog.

He was an adorable registered Chocolate Lab but I could not take care of my basic needs let alone that of a puppy. Labs are full of energy and this one was also very aggressive. There were many times that I threatened to find him or me a different home. I'm not sure if my husband would have chosen me.

The dog is now 2 years old and I finally talked my husband into having him neutered last month. The dog loves me dearly and is very protective of me and I love him also but..... There are still many days that I do not need the responsibility of a dog. He takes most of my energy and more. If you love and take good care of a dog, they require lots of work. I feel like we have a 2 yr old child. In return you usually get lots of love.

We have spent more money on that dog that lots of people spend on children and that is not stretching the truth. He is mainly fed a BARF diet which consist of lots of raw meat and did I mention that he now weights in excess of 100 lbs. My husband feds him stew beef while we are eating whatever we can find. LOL It doesn't make sense. Oh, and I forgot the $10,000.00 fence that he ordered and had installed when I was too sick to question anything that was happening in my household.

And yes, my fur baby thinks he too is a lap dog. He has made me use bad language, he has made me cry,he has exhausted me beyond belief, and yes, he has made me laugh,helped with my frustrations as I rub him, and he has kissed the tears from my face.

Just be aware that it is a big responsibilty that goes along with all the love.

I agree with Bambi's reply. I would love to have a girlfriend while my DH is at work. I really miss having those type of friendships since I have been sick.

Good luck!

9. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

All the ideas on using search sites to find Dog Rescue, Orphan Dogs etc. are perfect, there may be several in your area run by a small group of people.

My Sis-In-Law helps run a dog rescue in my area - one tip if you want a companion dog who'll sit and cuddle with you.......When you look at the dog lay it on it's back, put your palm across it's chest so your thumb is under one "armpit" and your fingers are under the other and just hold the dog there (lightly).....the longer the dog will just lay on it's back and let you hold it down the more submissive it is; if the dog quickly starts to struggle to get up it's a more dominent or alpha-dog which is probably not the personality you're looking for.
  10. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I just love my dog- my best friend!!!! Good idea. My only suggestion would be that you check to see how much they shed. My dog, who I love dearly, sheds like crazy!! His hair is not long, but the work involved to keep the house clean is amazing. I sweep daily and use the tape roller on the area rugs. I'm a finatic about cleanliness... a bit too much probably, but at any rate, the effort to clean can be a bit much.

If I had to do it again, my first priority would to find a dog that doesn't shed. Allergies can be a problem.

Just thought I'd give my 2 pennies. :) Good luck -you will be pleasantly surprised. Thank goodness my dog can't talk because I have told him everything! :)
  11. princessbride

princessbride New Member

I know you say you'd like a small dog but I wondered if you'd considered a cat?

Like some others have mentioned on here, although very loyal, dogs are much harder work, needing to be walked etc. Cats are more independent but still like a nice, warm lap and they are much easier to look after.

I'm a "doggy" person, having grown up with them at home and had never considered a cat, that was until Kitty adopted us a couple of years ago. I can't work and she keeps me company while my husband is at work, granted it's on her own terms but I consider myself very fortunate the day she walked into our lives. Not that I wouldn't still like a dog as well .....

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Cause I could use one of those too, lol...but

I would just about beg you to stay away from internet sites that sell puppies, unless you've researched a breed specific breeder thoroughly.

Many, many internet sites sell "Puppy Mill" dogs and the cost of trying to keep one of these healthy would put most people in the poor house. I won't even go into the horrors of what the female breeding bitches go through, but you can do a search for "puppy mills" to learn more.

Very few good breeders who care about their dogs would ever sell over the internet or ship to a stranger, or take a credit card for payment etc...

If you're sure about getting a dog, research thoroughly which breeds are meant to be lap dogs. That's going to make a world of difference right away. If you choose a small dog that was bred to be a "ratter" you'll have a much different dog than one bred to sit on their owners lap all day.

Jack Russell Terriers are small but can bounce as high as your kitchen counters and dig holes all the way to China. (Nothing against JRT's but for people with an illness, this is something to think about)

Small breed rescue is a possibility but remember that some of these dogs come with their own sets of baggage,(it's amazing what human beings will do to an animal). Although it's worthy to adopt one of these animals, it does take some patience and time to get them through the horrors of what they've been through to being a great family dog again. Well worth it, but time consuming.

One thing you can do online is look up "pet adoption" and there are sites that you can put your zip code in and what type of dog you're looking for. (ie. small, short hair, m/f) You'll probably have much better luck with one of these sites than the others.

You can take a few minutes and fill in the online forms to be eligible for adopting one of their animals. They sometimes get pregnant dogs in and their pups will need to find homes too.

You might be able to tell by now that I'm very passionate about this subject. Trying to get a "cheap" pet is often no bargain at all. Remember, this pet will be a family member for many years to come.

Hope this helps,

Nancy B.
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

Many times people move where they can not have a dog, or their work hrs. change, etc. and they must give up their pet. Many are house broken and good dogs.

So check with Vets and Animal Hospitals. Tell them you can not afford to pay for one, but that you would take good care of it.

Many of them have their shots and such already and are neutered. But they will need regular Rabie shots and such.

Good Luck..............Susan
  14. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I just realized NOW how my post read...and I have to say it gave me a little bit of a laugh this morning.
    thank you all once again with your ideas.
    Ann