I want to know..........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hdbubblehead, Oct 9, 2005.

1. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

If disability attorneys have hidden costs.
    I know they must be approved if they do, etc, and I know they don't win if I don't win, but.......
    are there costs later for phone calls to them, stamps, letters, requesting my charts, files or other info?

I am afraid I will get a "bill" later if I get denied by the courts.

Part of the problem is, i have been denied 2 times, seen a AJL once for appeal. he was a meany!!!!

I am now in the process of appealing the Judge's decision.
    I think I need an attorney now, but don't know if they hide costs. Can anyone tell me? I am in Southern California
    and I have almost every dx there is.
    the judge focuses mainly on a spinal cord narrowing, and did not talk about the fibro, the carpal tunnel surgeries, the major depression from the loss of two younger sister's and my husband from sucide, or lupus or sjgrens syndrome
    Raunaud's phenomenom, (shall i continuee?)
    AND i saw the Judge's file, prior to seeing him in chambers, and he wrote that (1 out of 4 other doctor letters) was BS!! and I saw that before they took it from me. its a long story.
    my question is : are there hidden attorney costs if one is denied again?
    (I will be in the next phase of the appeals counsil) they can even agree with the Judge and not even look at my case again.
    got any advice or knowledge about this?
    ps. say a prayer for my nephew who just broke almost every bone in his face and body from a motorcycle accident. he is 26 yrs old and he has had about 7 surgeries to date. Its only 4 days since wreck, and he landed in the back of a truck. please ask for miracles for Kody Mak. thanks
    everyone take care out there. GOD WATCH OVER US AND KEEP US ABLE TO HELP ONE ANOTHER THROUGH IT ALL. I WISH YOU ALL MANY HELPFUL PEOPLE TO CARE FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEED THEM.
    see ya later......
    ....xxoo georgette
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

25% for all disability cases tis the law.But they can charge for extra expenses like travel etc.......For private civil suits against an INS CO. 40% is the norm.Theres no law set for that one.

IS That what your looking for??
    Sue
  3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I had to pay for photo copying and postage costs associated with my case. The attorney billed me during the case and didn't wait until the case was over. It ended up being about $150 total. I was also billed by Drs offices too for copies of my records, that was probably another $50 or so.

My attorney told me at our first meeting I would be responsible for the payment of these expenses and it wouldn't come out of his "final" fee if I won my case. As for the final fee it was deducted from my back-pay and sent to the attorney directly by SSA.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely
    JL

Ps Praying for your nephew!!!
  4. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

I figured there was gonna be something out of my pocket.

What if I lose again? will I be responsible for attorney fees then?

Its that so far the attorneys I have spoken with have told me, just relax, we do all the work.

well crap, i've done all the work. I have all the MRI's the reports, doctors letters, everything from the past 4 years and I applied in 2003. So, what could they possibly want from me, except their driving costs, i just know there will be something hidden, and i wondered if anyone knows what happens if you're denied again? Do i still pay an attorney for their time?
  5. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

Did you call ALLsupInc.com??
    They helped me and many others I know....no hidden charges and only get paid if they win....if they lose you still dont pay!

This is from their website....

We Can Help
    Allsup is the nation's premier Social Security disability claim services company. We have obtained over $1 BILLION in Social Security disability and Medicare payments for more than 60,000 people. The reason for our success--we only specialize in Social Security disability related services. We make the Social Security disability process less confusing, less intimidating and more convenient for people with disabilities.

Free Social Security Disability Screening

www.allsupinc.com

jgavi
  6. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

thanks to all for telling what you know.

JGAVI, i will give it a whirl.. thank you very much.
    you must have just read what i wrote, cause i was gone for two minutes, and you left the info. for me.
    i will be in touch with allsupinc, ty ty ty :)
    That was the answer i needed.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For photocopying, stamps, medical records, etc. It took three years and my out-of-pocket expenses was about $185.

Love, Mikie
  8. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

if ya win, what do they get?
    does it last as long as you live?
    what's a usual amount for 50 yr old with no work credit?

if ya lose, what do lawyers charge you? even though they say, nothing.
    and-
    if a judge is going to get a complaint filed against him,
    will that effect my chances of winning?

and thanks for help.
  9. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

My SILs disability lawyer once suprised her for an on demand bill of $32 for in copying fees the same day they met at court. Turns out the lawyer wanted a $1 per page for photocopying. Since that happened to my SIL, I think I would carry $50 or a checkbook in my pocket when seeing a lawyer.

Other than the photocopying fees, I don't recall my SIL mentioning any extra fees, though I'm sure she had to pay for for stamps, etc., too. Overall, she was very pleased with her lawyer who won the case on their first appeal.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]