I want to tell someone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Denamay, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I think that my husband is showing some early signs of dementia, for example he leaves the stove burning, accuses family members of stealing his belongs,and just being plain vauge about things.

Other family members have noticed it as well.

I am not sure where to go fom here because for the most part he is his usual self.

Do you think that it is too early to have a talk with his doctor?

I am worried aboout looking after him if he gets worse. He has been the one who looks after me with my fibro etc.

Anyway, enough of my troubles, but if you have any ideas please let me know. Love Denamay
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Your husband's symptoms sound exactly like my symptoms everyday. I constantly do the same things, it is horrible. I hope I don't have the beginning signs of dementia, I am only 43, but both of my Grandmas had it.

Anyway, I have no ideas for you unfortunatley except that I will keep your husband and you in my prayers and that it is just a bad memory. That is what I keep telling myself.

I will take any ideas too.
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Denamay,

How scary that is for you, hon. I can imagine how you are feeling. DH father lived with us for many years after his wife died in her early 50's of ovarian cancer. He was great till he started with the dementia and Alzheimers. I think having to help care for him at the end along with other things going on helped me to get these DD's (lots of stress). However, nowadays they have lots more help and meds for alzheimers sufferers and maybe even some dementia patients.

I don't want to scare you hon but you need to get as much info as possible about this. Yes, I would talk to his doctor about it when you can, maybe when he is not around at first. Does he realize or remember when he does any of these things.?

I would also suggest going to the PH Alzheimers Board. They probably would have lots of suggestions for you. I dont want to scare you and he may not have alzheimers but good to get some info about it and maybe he can start on some meds that will help. Or the doctor will suggest getting some more tests done. Better to know for sure so treatment can be started quickly if needed.

Hope this helps some !

Blessings and big hugs,

4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I would mention it to the doctor if this has been going on awhile and others have noticed it to, plus if it happens fairly frequesntly.

He may just suggest to watch him for awhile and get back to him or otherwise may want to start tests now.

Please let us know and check this out ASAP !.

I worry about this since my DH;s dad had this problem.

[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2008]
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This must be very frightening for you. I would certainly find it frightening!

I think it would be a good idea to get on it now. There are medications available which may slow the progress of many dementias.

There are treatable illnesses, other than primary dementias, which have dementia as a symptom. He really should see a good gerontologist and have a very thorough screening and assessment.

A friend of mine went through something similar. Her partner was initially clinically diagnosed with a type of dementia but another illness revealed itself soon thereafter which could have produced the same symptoms.

It's a symptom. You don't know what it is a symptom of just yet. One step at a time, yea? Might be just fine, after all. You can't know yet. One step at a time.

Don't forget to breathe,
  6. stick2013

stick2013 Member

If there is a memory clinic in your area I would suggest making an appointment with them. They are pretty extensive with their testing and usually it's very non invasive testing.

Good luck. Hopefully someday soon there will be better treatment or a cure for this disease. I wish you and your husband well.
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

Talk to his doctor. You are the one who lives with his behavior. Be proactive. In addition to what your doctor recommends, see if you can get him to be tested for Lyme (with a test which actually includes the results rather than neg/pos).

I am 45. A couple of years ago, my husband started acting like this. Because we own a business together, we were having to make sure someone shadowed him in all his meeting because he was forgetting (and misunderstanding) client conversations. And yes, he is the person who looks after me. I understand how frightening it is to contemplate that you might have to try and care for him.

Fortunately, it WAS Lyme. We worked with a local practitioner who has had Lyme herself. Cycled through antibiotics for almost a year (I was tested by the FFC through Igenex first -- and yes, treated as well, which has helped tremendously). He is now pretty much his old self.

Dementia is truly frightening. I remember my grandmother's last half decade. And my neighbor was recently diagnosed. (She'd just wrecked her third car in three years.) A family member is now trying to care for her, but it has been a difficult battle because my neighbor (due to dementia and probably a bit of herself as well) has willfully spread lies -- intimating that her family has 'taken' her property and control of her finances when she signed them over herself because of the situation just a few months before. Several of the neighbors have been accused of damaging her property or persecuting her -- I was accused of duping her into buying a cell phone (?!?) and using her back windows as targets for golf practice (again, ?!?) for example.

Please enlist professional help and diagnosis ASAP.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

For sure have a talk with his doctor. If it's just a matter of hubby having too much on his mind or if he's depressed (also a factor to consider), the doctor may recommend he talk with a counselor and/or take medication for awhile. If there's more to it, you can get some help for him and also have the comfort of talking it out.

Meanwhile, try to take one day at a time. Stress will only make you, then him worse.

9. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Thanks everyone for the good advice, you are all so thoughtful and helpful.

I will get on it and make a drs. appointment with hb's dr.asap.

My husband is 80 years old but is in great shape and looks to be 20 years younger, He gets lots of exercise and can walk for miles.He nutrition is better than anyone I know. Natural foods, fish oil and all the rest. I guess it is his age cathing up to him. I just never expected this.He has always been mentaly sharp and is well read and informed.But I guess in my heart of hearts I recognize the signs.

Because, when I was still in my teens I nursed my grandmother who had dementia. In those days there was no pulic health nursing or homecare where I lived. It was just granddad, grandma and me with no running water, inside toilet or anything like a bathtub, frig or washing machine.When I looked back on this time I can hardly believe it. But, all in all, granny was well cared for.
    Thanks again for all the help. Love Denamay