I want to try Atkins Diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinaeve, May 27, 2003.

1. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

I have gained 40 pounds in the past two years,probably due to lack of exercise due to high pain levels from this DD.All I want to do is sleep and eat.How do I get a list or diary on the Atkins Diet? Thanks,tinaeve
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

YOu absolutely must buy the books. Go to Ebay and just type in Dr. Atkins, you can get his books for just a couple of bucks!

You won't be sorry you're doing this. I've done Atkins since the 70's and he's a lifesaver! I don't get hungry on this diet, which is the most important thing to me!

Marilyn :)
  3. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

with insulin resistence, the precurser to Type II diabetes, this could be quite an unhealthy diet for me to go on.

On Know very little about the diet industry, just what has been explained to me as a post menopausal woman who is heading towards Type II diabetes. This would be a major mistake for me though I am not saying it would be for you.

Wishing you the best,

Lynda B.
  4. J-net1947

J-net1947 New Member

Hello, I tried the Atkins diet for about 3 months, I lost 25 pounds, which was good, but it did have a drawback for me. If you have irritable bowel, which I do, and most Fibro patients do, It reeked havoc on my digestive system, because i wasn;t getting what I needed to keep it in balance. I was so miserable, my stomach hurt all the time, and I would have bouts of diarhhea and constipation which were terrible. So I would advice you to consult you doc before trying it. I think the diet is wonderful if your system can handle it. Just thought you might want to know. God Bless, hope it works out for you, I can relate to the weight gain, I weigh more that I ever have in my life, and it just makes the pain worse, because of the extra weight, especially on the back. A Friend who cares, Shirley J-net1947>>
  5. lilflower

lilflower New Member

i have been doing atkins diet for several months. i did it for weight loss only and lost 29 pounds. i started haveing symptoms of fm before the diet and got med advice a few months later. i was suprised to hear it was possibly fm. i think my symptoms are less than others i hear of too. i also take neurontin and bextra. i think all of them help!good luck!
  6. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

My sister was just diagnosed with insulin resistance by our endocronologist and she said the best thing she could do was follow Suzanne Sommers diet which is almost like Dr. Atkins diet. She lost 20+ lbs in 5 weeks and has really been feeling better. The Suzanne Sommers diet was developed by her in tandem with another endrocronologist...

Ask your dr. what she thinks about this diet for you!

Good luck!

Crissy
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Bless his heart, he's been a godsend to me since the 70's. Whenever I get out of control and eat junk and gain, I fall back on Atkins and drop that weight FAST. I've been on Atkins since May 9, and am down two dress sizes. I look in the mirror and see HALF of what I was when I started. It's wonderful, and I feel so much better about myself. Get the book and use it like a Bible!

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Nutritional Guide To Syndrome X Diet (Syndrome X is just another name for insulin resistance, the precursor to Type II Diabetes) is almost identical to the Atkins and Somers diets. Any of these three diets are excellent for Type II diabetes.

Love, Mikie
  9. shazz

shazz New Member

and other low carb diets as well. THere is a recipe room, message board, and lots of other resources.
    Do an internet search on atkins friends or atkinsfriends run all together, and you will find it.
    Interesting KN that it helps your diahrrea after having your gallbladder out. I had that problem so bad that ANYTHING I ate caused horrible urgent cramps and then went straight through.
    I suffered for almost a year and now take a drug called colestid, that allows me to eat whatever I want without trouble, (not that I should eat whatever I want mind you), but it is nice to be able to go out for dinner without panicking, or to sit here and order in lunch with my coworkers once in awhile.
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It just goes to show you and us, that the Atkins diet, or Sommers diet, is nature's diet. It's just a matter of eliminating processed and refined foods. Toss out the boxes and bags of foods, and just eat the fresh, gift-from-God foods. Nature doesn't usually make mistakes, and this diet is what works best for us.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The best diet is the one which works for you.

There is sound reasoning for the food combining (or actually, lack of combining). A persone who is insulin resistant will not gain weight from the protein/fat, but if carbs are added to the protein, the body will store the protein/fat as body fat along with the carbs. You would not notice the difference unless you were quite insulin resistant, overweight, and not for quite a while.

I think the Atkins and Syndrome X diets are just fine, but I personally like the Somers diet as I find it easier and there is more variety in the beginning. Down the road, except for the noncombining, they are pretty much the same.

You are right, it is not the fat which is our enemy; it's the carbs.

Love, Mikie
  12. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I used to love Atkins before CFS but I went on it again and spent 2 weeks not losing inches or pounds. I never got to the bad breath part and speedy weight loss.

In his book he says some meds won't allow the program to work so I assumed it was the doxepin, klonopin, trazadone, restoril I take. He said both antidepressant and sleep meds prevent it from working.

Are you all taking meds and it's working?

Anyone taking mine listed above?

Thanks,
    hollie9
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]