I wanted to go to ER last night. Have you ever for your FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Mar 19, 2007.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

hi all,

I was alone last night. About 6pm my arms, shoulders and rib cage started hurting. I took 4 percocet, 2 advil and one ultram. I also laid on the heating pad. Finally, by 10 I started to get relief.

I so wished someone had been home to take me to the ER. I did go a couple summers ago for severe arm pain, and the Dr., the young know it all type, didn't believe in FM and gave me nothing. I had to pay 50.00 for that.

I do believe I would have tried again last night, tho, because of such bad pain.

Have you gone to the ER for FM pain?

God Bless
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

before i knew what was wrong
  3. revlcb

revlcb New Member

and came to this decision. If I ever have to go to the ER for what I think might be an FMS symptom I won't even mention that I've been diagnosed with FMS. I'll let the Dr.'s go on with their tests...maybe they'll actually find something instead of rolling their eyes or just fobbing the symptoms off onto FMS.

My sister, who was an ER nurse for 25 yrs., even told me that almost all of the Drs. she's ever worked with didn't believe in CFS/FMS and that the symptoms were all psychosomatic. This certainly isn't a comforting thought.

If I feel bad enough to go to the ER, I want to be taken seriously. So, I won't say a word.
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Yes I have - twice! Fortunately I had a doctor that knew about FM. He's the one that convinced my sister (a nurse) I had FM.

I actually went because of chest pain and after several tests he physically touched my chest which hurt. He said when pressing from outside if it hurts it's probably the FM.

They gave me strong pain medication and recommended I see a nuerologist. Also got me started with vicodin - thank goodness!

Take care
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

running to the ER multiple times, having all types of tests, multiple DRs ... meds, PT, all types of gadgets ... I am just fed up with all of this. They just don't get it because they don't have it.
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Oh ive had wayyyy too many of these.

Now everytime I think of going to the ER I think long and hard if it is worth the wait of possibly not getting the help that I need. Very rarely do I go to the ER and get proper care for my FM. They dont want to give pain meds anyway...they are too busy worrying if im a drug addict just tryiing to score more drugs.

They usually look at me...look at my list of medication and say ...oh she has adequate pain relief, shes ok to go. Um no im not! Why else am I in the ER!!!!

They just dont get it....if Im in the ER it is because my pain is beyond what my pain meds are capable of handling!!!

I really do believe that they need an ER for chronic pain patients only. ER's at any genreal hospital are not capable of handling our pain. Its just ridiculous that we have no where to go.

GRRRR!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]
  7. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I have gone to the e/r several times for fibro pain.

However, the worst pain I have is the RIB pain that I get. The docs call it constrochondritis. It can be severely painful. People with fibro tend to get this over and over. When I go in I don't dwell on the fibro. I just tell them I have costrochondritis and have had it before and that it is excruciating and would they please give me something for the pain.

I live in fear of this pain as it is the WORST pain I have and it actually makes me cry and roll around on the bed because I can't get any relief until they give me a shot (usually of valium). Be sure to look up costrochonritis for more info!

Hope this helps, Eliza Jane
  8. mujuer

mujuer New Member

and they got me right in. I told them that I was having pain due to fibro and told them what I had been taking and in no time they gave me a shot of something and two xanacs and sent me home with my husband. Whatever it was, it sure helped and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Since then I have been put on a strong muscle relaxer and that has helped better then all of the pain med's put together. At least for me it has and kept me out of the e.r. for now.
  9. gbuett

gbuett New Member

I am taking a muscle relaxer (flexeril) now that was helping but is not helping as much now. Which one do you take?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2007]
  10. mujuer

mujuer New Member

is the generic of flexeril, it is cyclobenzaprine. It has really helped me like nothing else.
  11. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

but figured they would treat me like a drug-seeker and charge me $100 for maybe a Toradol shot. I am a non-practicing RN and have seen how FMS patients get treated. Most ER docs think they are looking for narcotics and don't take the FMS pain seriously.

BTW, if anyone knows of a good ER in Nashville that I could use for a pain emergency, let me know-LOL. Ultram just does not do it for me on top of all the aspirin I take (I cannot take Motrin or Aleve or any NSAIDS).
    Lynn
  12. knitsnfits

knitsnfits New Member

Yes, I went to the ER about a month into the illness 14 years ago. I had a horrible internal burning in my upper torso and my heart was beating at 160 bpm. I was treated for heartburn and told to try and reduce my stress
  13. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

I have had to go to the ER several times. There was a time when my FORMER rheumy would NOT treat the pain, and that is when I just had to do it, but not before spending entire days literally in tears from the pain.

I am being treated for the pain now, but sometimes it still just does not work and have had to go a couple of times.

I have always been lucky and have had very caring Dr's in the ER. One of them even took it upon himself to put me into contact with our local pain clinic, which was nice and needed. However, I went to the pain clinic and the pain Dr. walked in and told me there was absolutely NOTHING he could do for me. I went back to my primary physician and she prescribed hydrocodone (sp?), 2 a day. She has increased it to 4 a day since and it is working much better for me. But, there are still those times when it just does not touch it but I won't go unless it has been that way for several days.

The Dr's in the ER can tell from other symptoms when a person is in pain for real. Such as, increased blood pressure, slight fever. At least that is what they have told me. They have usually given me a shot and something for nausea, which will put me to sleep for awhile. At least I can rest and get SOME relief for a short while. The pain is usually back the next day, just as furious and intense though. The ER is a band aid, but one which is sometimes much needed, in my opinion.
  14. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

If you do go, make sure to have someone take you or they will not be able to give you anything that will do any good.

Be sure whomever it is that does take you is familiar with your condition so that if they hand you a prescription for Ultram or Motrin, they can point out to them that you are already on something stronger and it is not working. My husband has been a life saver to me in those times. He DEMANDS that they treat my pain effectively.
  15. coolma

coolma New Member

Twice to emerg for pain. Once I thought I was having a heart attack - nope, chest pain from fibro. After that I knew and never bothered.
    Second time I wasn't getting proper pain meds and the pain got so deep set into my back I couldn't breathe. The all night emerg. phone line told me to get to the hospital immediately. I layed there for 3 hours until someone saw me. Had to have a narcotic, gravol and anti-spasm med. Layed in a bed in the hall and when I could sit up they sent me home ON THE BUS as I had nobody to get me. Ha. Lesson learned? Never let the pain get so deeply set (it's the spasms) that you can't control them. I was 3 months before I got them under control. Treating the pain is paramount because if you don't the spasms will get worse and you will be in trouble. Eventually you will get better. Most people with fibro want an instant fix and there isn't one. But you can feel alot better with proper care and meds. Take heart 0- it does get better over time. Good luck and good health! By the way - there is a fantastic book that describes everything, and every side effect, and every treatment for FM/CFS by Dr. Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland. Just ask for it by the authors in your local library. The more knowledge you have the better you will be.
  16. Oh YES! They thought I was having a heart attack, my blood pressure was high and I was in pain. They gave me that pill that goes under your tongue. No relief. Then the dr. came in and once they found out I had fibro, they looked at each other and stuck me in another room and sent me home.
  17. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

And after 7 hours of lying in the ER, having tests done, etc...they told me I was fine & to go home & take a Benadryl so that I could get a good night’s sleep. I only saw the doctor once for about 3 minutes & if I needed a nurse, I had to get out of bed & stand outside my room because no one came in to check on me. They didn’t give me anything for the pain except a bill for $100.00, which only increased my pain!!!

I’ll never do it again unless my doctor tells me to go.
  18. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I have never and would never go for this. Chances are they won't do anything for you anyway. It's better to have a doctor you can call when necessary. Someone also mentioned they treat fibro patients like drug-seekers. ER's get a fair amount of drug seekers and are always on the look out for them. Chances are, nobody there will know anything about FMS/CFS anyway.
  19. California31

California31 New Member

Five hours....completely ignored the pain...I asked for flexeril..."oh, no...."....I reviewed the records of the attending doc.....he paid absolutely NO attention to me....the record was very different from out interaction. I have since changed health plans.
  20. jjoys

jjoys New Member

I've had CFS for 8 plus years and have NEVER had pain bad enough to go to ER. My heart goes out to you guys, but I'm agreeing with the "no results" people. ER personnel are on the lookout for "med. seekers".