I was amazed at the post about how many use wheelchairs,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by coyote, May 22, 2003.

1. coyote

coyote New Member

canes and other walking aids.
    I have difficulty walking, but don't need a cane or anything.
    I am wondering if there are other people here who can walk without help, or am I misdiagnosed?
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I was also suprised.
    I have had fms/cfs for 16 years and my mom has had it for about 40 years. Neither of us use those items.
    I guess it is just like everthing else, each of us are individuals and different problems arise for each of us that might not arise for someone else.
    I am so exhausted that I often think I could use a wheelchair but have not.
    Take care
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

I doubt you're misdiagnosed.

Yes a lot of us do have mobility problems but it's just the nature of the way these DDs effect us personally. Mine's not entirely CFS/FM anyway.

At annual ME conferences in London, many who did not understand the condition, were shocked at the number who had dificulties walking. In some cases it's just the severity of the debility and fatigue, some unusually severe cases have been bedridden for prolonged periods through this.

Funny how this is never mentioned by the docs who dismiss these DDs, or if it is we have hysteria.

Cheers

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2003]
  4. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I've had difficulty walking due to tired and weak legs since I got this dd a year and a half ago. About a year ago I started using a cane, then two canes, and for 8 months now I've been using two forearm crutches. I don't need them all the tme, but my legs can give out without much warning so I use them all the time when I'm outside the house, because when my legs get really tired, I can't walk without them.
    Actually I've been surprised at the number of people on this board who have trouble walking and still don't use a walking aid. It must be pride or self-consciousness. I find the crutches give me much more security so that I can go places I otherwise wouldn't try, like the malls.
  5. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Coyote,
    I can't remember if I posted that I sometimes use a cane. I have really bad leg problems that sometimes become really numb on one side or the other. I sometimes need the assistance of a cane because of balance problems caused by the numbness. I also use accupuncture which helps alot but makes the problem worse before it gets better. Have a great night.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  6. coyote

coyote New Member

Is that I have trouble lifting my legs high enough. This morning I did this coming up the stairs and tripped. I fell on both knees, and hit my head on the railing. What a great start to the day.
  7. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I am fine some of the time, then with absolutely no warning, the world starts spinning. As long as I can hang onto something, I have always been ok, but the first time I grab some drop-dead gorgeous blonde's husband, I'm likely to wind up in orbit. I'll stick with my cane, thank you.
    Kathryn the Coward
  8. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

when it was you may know your'e too ill to go to church; her answer was.....don't worry, you will know when that time comes.

ditto the cane, walker, powerchair et al.

For atleast two years I have not been able to go past the back patio; now, with the cane, walker, or powerchair, I can go enjoy the yard I have fought so hard to keep.

I have spinal stenosis. First was the LS portion of the spine wherein nerves were entrapped by hardening collagen; and now it is progressing and affecting nerves from the thoracic to the cervical....

I had almost forgotten I had FMS as I wrested with the spine prob. escalating, narcolepsy and the 11-rating on the sleep study. However, I looked back to Dr. Stargyl(sp)'s primer and realized alot of this deteriation is FMS related.

Well, it was hard the first time or two out in public using either a cane or powerchair/cart but it was use those aids or stay home...and to the lady who could not lift her legs straight up.....Hello! I am in the same boat...to do anything to my feet I have to sit in a position allowing for lateral reach. Lil'
  9. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I decided quite a while ago to look into a local CFS support group. I walked in the door, looked around and saw that most everyone there had a cane. I turned around and walked out. I thought that since I didn't use a cane I couldn't belong there.