I was approved by Social Security

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angelscutoo, Aug 29, 2008.

1. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

On Wednesday I received, in the mail, the medical report done by Social Security's doctor. I had questions and called the Disability Determination Person who said my case was sent back to Social Security for their action. She suggested I call my Social Security Case person. I reached her today and she said I was approved!!!!!! This was my first application (applied May 1st of this year)and I will have the 5 month waiting period plus they pay behind a month so my first check will be in November 2008. I am just very happy to have a little financial light at the end of the tunnel.

I am thrilled and very pleased with the way my application was handled in my state of West Virginia although I was not impressed with the SS physical I received. I have multiple health problems including Charcot's Disease, fibromyalgia, Diabetes, spinal stenosis, osteo-arthritis,hypertention, and hypothyroid. The Disability Determination Person and SS Case Manager were both very professional.

Physically I have had a hard week so this was wonderful news.
  2. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

Congrats on your approval. It goes a long way to easing your mind. Now you can concentrate on your health and being happy!
  3. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

It is like a large burden has been removed and I can now breathe. I just have to survive for two more months. I will actually end up with more than I made when I worked. I have been getting retirement but it was less than half of my salary. Now I will be in much better shape. Thank God. I am told they do not tax the SS either but am not sure if that is correct. Does anyone know??
  4. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Im so happy for you!! I just filed with Allsup, I hope mine goes well. Sandie
  5. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

They won't take any tax money out of your check but you need to check with an accountant because if your household income reaches a certain level (I don't remember what it is but you can call & ask or look it up on ss website) then you may have to pay taxes when you file next year.

I will have to pay taxes on mine & on my backpay argh!! But at least we have the extra money needed to live. We've just been existing for the past 2 years since I stopped working.

Good Luck!
  6. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I know what you mean about just existing. This is the least amount of money I have had since age 19 or 20 while going to school. I worked hard my whole life then to get illnesses that just stop you in your tracks is a hard pill to swallow. The medical co-pays and deductables are killing me. I am sooooo relieved.
  7. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I too was accepted first shot out. I will start receiving my benies in October. I hope and pray that everone else who is waiting to get approved, does.

8. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

What state are you located in? It seems to me like some states are quicker than others. Like you I wish everyone well and hope that all are approved. I will answer any questions about my process if anyone wants to see what I did.
  9. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I think Charcot is listed - my neice has it, and at 24 filed, and got it on her first try.

It runs in my BIL's family, and all of them got their disability no problem at all, first try, easy.

Its a terrible disease. :(
  10. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

Fortunately mine was caught early. I had 10-12 broken bones but they did heal and I have very minimal deformation of my foot. It is in remission but as you probably know it can return at any time. I have to take it very easy and elevate my foot when possible. I feel fortunate. I honestly do not know yet why I was approved I assume I will get an approval letter that will state why I was approved. Charcot's is caused by neuropathy so I think that may have been some of the reason. I will post when I get the letter.
  11. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I hope I finally get mine....going for a 2nd time b4 an ALJ soon. I have been turned down 3 times now.....

Maybe this is a good sign for me!!!

12. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I wish you luck with your hearing.