I was diagoned with chronic fatigue is it the same as CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobbycat, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I have been diagonoed with Chronic fatigue is that the same as CFS. I also have sleep apenea but this was diagones by the neurophycologist prior to me finding out about the sleep apenia.
  2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

A diagnosis of chronic fatigue can stand on its own. Also, since you have FMS (I saw from your profile), being diagnosed with chronic fatigue sounds redundant, since Fibromyalgia causes profound fatigue (as does sleep apnea). From that alone, I don't think you meet the critera for CFS, because in order to have the CFS, your symptoms must be unexplained.
  3. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Good Question
    What is the difference between chronic fatigue and cfs?
  4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

First, there is a difference between M.E. and the CDC's criteria for diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome today. ME/CFIDS refers to a neurological disease following sudden-onset infection (such as Ebstein-barr infection, though other viruses have also been identified). It has a specific disease process and many more symptoms (most neurological in origin) that MUST be present to have CFIDS/ME; for the diagnosis of CFS, these symptoms are secondary and optional. Unforunately they're almost always referred to as the same thing. (But a lot of people diagnosed with CFS really do have M.E./CFIDS, and both conditions are devastating.)

Little is known about actual CFS because the diagnostic criteria are too loose and the way you developed the condition is irrelevant toward diagnosis. Many people end up thinking they have CFS when they actually have other conditions that explain their symptoms. To have CFS, your symptoms must be UNexplained, as in, not being explained by any other condition (such as FM, Lyme disease, or other chronic illness that has similar symptoms to those of CFS).

For the difference between CFS and Chronic fatigue, here is a decent link:

5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I am relieved that this means I may not have CFS. Thanks for the information. Bobby