I was in a waiting room yesterday and picked up an old psychology mag

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Nov 18, 2012.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

There was a little article about how we experience pain on an almost daily level, our brains get a little "skewed" and it will make us think we do have it when we actually don't? I'm thinking along the lines of "phantom" pain that people experience even after a limb has been removed. I couldn't read the whole thing but has anyone heard or read something on this order?
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I had read an interesting article on phantom pain that was cured by tricking the brain visually:

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-03-19/health/mirror.therapy_1_phantom-pain-leg-limb?_s=PM:HEALTH

I wonder if chronic pain can be a combination of nerves, visual input, and propriorecptors. When I had severe pain after a brain injury from encephalitis I went to a vestibular therapist who worked with me on vision and proprioreception and it did really help.

Jan
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I sure would love to pick your brain with all the information you've picked up thru the years.