I was in such a flare.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXFMmom, Jan 17, 2006.

1. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have been in a terrible flair. I had a terrible respiratory infection and coughed till I blew two disk bulges in my lumbar region. It twists my spine like a pretzel.

I had become completely exhausted from not sleeping well, the pain, the twisting was interferring with my breathing and I had become so bad that I became short of breath going to the bathroom.

Yesterday, it rained here and I was in pain from the top of my head to my toes, which have been burning in both legs from the disks in my back, anyway. I was miserable, cranky, exhausted, and hopeless.

I had to go off my aspirin, osteo chondroitin, and all anti-inflammatories in preparation for a couple of subcutaneous blocks to get the disks back into place and to inject the pyriformis, which is IRRITATED FROM THE TWISTING, by the pain doc, and it had contributed to the pain.

I had taken tylenol a couple of times, but it just wasn't getting it.

Finally, last night I took a Vicodin. That is a big step for me. I have tried, throughout all this to stay away from any narcotics, and I have paid in pain for it. I took one last night and I SLEPT. REALLY SLEPT.

I have Restless Leg and Periodic Limb Movement and kick and thrash, but I woke up with the miracle foam pillow which I had placed between my knees before going to bed STILL THERE.

That is unbelievable for me.

I have decided that I am going to do better pain management. I can even breathe this morning. It is amazing.

As a medical professional, and a CRNA who was adament about adequate pain treatment in my patients, I haven't done such a good job of treating my own.
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

When ever I get coughing fits like you described I go get some cough syrup w/codine from my Dr. It is the only thing that calms the fit & helps me rest - you can't get better if you can not rest.

I'm glad you are starting to take care of your pain - sometimes you just have to give in.

Thinking of you
    Kelly
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

txfmmom:
    You sound like me! I understand the head to toe pain: that is how I describe it to my doctor. I am on narcotics and it is the only things that seems to help. I can not live with this pain 24x7.

Goodluck with the discs. I have the same problem.
    Is the rhuematologist taking care of that for you?
    Hugs,
    NyroFAn
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

No, the pain doc is taking care of the disks.

They did a percutaneous decompression of it about a year ago and it worked for a whole year.

They place a needle against the disk, using flouroscopy which is an x-ray which can be held on current so they can see their manipulations. Then, when it is in place, they put ultrsonic heat into the disk through the needle, which is placed against the disk wall, the interior material heats, and then cools and retracts, hopefully taking the disk wall back into place.

This time, I am going to have to have some thoracic ones done as well, with the procedures, and then manipulations phased over about three weeks. The thoracic ones were in bad shape, form being twisted around by the FM and the back problems, but this time, the bending has reached the point where they have to be done, as well.

I used to do epidurals and all kinds of blocks when I was a CRNA, and I have to admit I was skeptical, but the darn things worked!!!!!!!!! I wanted to kiss the pain doc, he was cute anyway.

I had to laugh. I told the CRNA two mg. of Versed and two cc's of Fentanyl for sedation. She was skeptical. She said we give the patients several times that much for this. I said, let's try. At one point, when he did the pyriformis block, the muscle in the behind, he asked me if I was alright and I told him it felt as if he had just put a very big, very sharp NAIL which was hot in my behind, but I was ok. That is when he said, "I did just that." and the whole staff laughed.

The CRNA told me I was a cheap drunk. That, believe it or not, among Anesthesia people, is a compliment meaning that you are one tough cookie to be able to get by with so little sedation. Over the weeks, I had the same RN for the procedures and she and the tech got friendly. She told me that they had disgussed me and the fact that I took so little pain med and sedation and that they all agreed that they would want a whole lot more.

At any rate, these pain guys, if the ARE GOOD, can do wonders with the disks, and help you avoid surgery.