I was reading about salicylate sensitivity....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Mar 7, 2010.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

and the symptoms of salicylate sensitivity are so similar to CFS/ ME...

I was wondering if anyone had found this was the cause of their CFS - symptoms are both physical and neurological and, of course, salicylate sensitivity would be hard to spot since salicylates are present in fruits and vegetables amongst other things (also in other food items and skincare, cosmetics etc) which I suppose, like me, many of you will be consuming in order to try to feel better...

I have felt worse this past week (cut out chocolate which I ate a lot of, any processed stuff which I didn't eat a lot of anyway except the odd jar of curry sauce or pasta sauce, or tin of beans in tomato sauce, I've more or less cut out bread and what I have had has been rye bread...I've not been eating a lot of rice, pasta, potatoes...hardly any.) My main food sources since the 2nd of March have been: chicken, fish, beef, eggs, some milk, some barley, some rye bread, some porridge, lots and lots of salad, veggies including a few tins of tomatoes, with some herbs and spices for interest and fruit, of course...

No sugar at all apart from fruits (white sugar contains no salicylates apparently)

I have an appt. with my doctor next week (who is very nice but also, I suspect, thinks I'm a bit la la!) and am *thinking* of mentioning this... I worry she might think 'Here's her next possible cause she's plucked out of thin air!)

Anyone have any experience of salicylate sensitivity as the cause of their CFS?

I'd love to hear from you! Thanks, Shelbo :)
    Ps...My other thought is that I'm experiencing some sort of detox/ Herxheimer reaction...[This Message was Edited on 03/07/2010]
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I don't bother going to my doctor for anything CFS related; it is a complete waste of time. I personally would NOT mention anything about salicylate sensitivity to your doctor as you are correct in thinking that they think we are nuts when we mention possible causes for our CFS. If you think that salicylate sensitivity could possibly be the cause of your CFS, then you are better of eliminating this from your diet and skin care products and wait to see if you have any improvement in your health.

I also wouldn't mention detoxing or herxing as this isn't recognized by allopathic doctors except in the case of Lyme disease, and then it is only recognized as something that happens in the first 24 hours of starting antibiotics. Even some CFS researchers/doctors (ie Dr Martin Pall for one) do not believe in herxing. One doctor went as far as to say that if we were as toxic as some people make us out to be, that we would be dead.