I WAS so excited Now I'm crushed.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Jun 4, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I found out a few days ago that YES, (the band) was going to be touring again, and would be in Kansas City, a short 3 hour drive from here. I was so excited. They never come to the Midwest, and I have wanted to see this band since I was 14. Hubby gave me the go ahead to purchase 2 tickets for me and my son, another huge fan. I couldn't believe I was FINALLY going to see them. And with the tickets being expensive, the gas prices astronomical, and the fact that I have no car, I couldn't believe my husband agreed to let me go. I was almost in tears (of joy!)

I have felt great all day, knowing I have this to look forward to. I have been cooped up almost a year after breaking my ankle, and having my car quit on me. My husband broke his hip in December and was unable to work for several months, so we have been too broke to buy a new car for me. But this made it all worthwhile!

I have been a basket case, waiting for my son to come by so I could surprise him with this news. Tonight he came over, and I told him. He was as excited as I was, and was even shaking with excitement. He was in shock, and I was still in a state of disbelief myself.

So I popped up the website that shows the seating chart, to show him what good seats I got for us, and found that it was canceled! Canceled? CANCELED??? My heart hit the floor, and we both just sat there and stared at the screen in disbelief.

The whole tour was canceled. My poor son. I had just told him, and less than 5 minutes later, it was taken away. And poor me. 36 years of waiting, finally getting that one chance to see them, all crushed.

Right away, I wondered why, and felt a sense of dread. These guys are not youngsters. Are they all okay? Turns out that Jon Anderson, the lead singer, had a severe asthma attack last month, and has now been diagnosed with acute respiratory failure. His Dr. ordered him to not work for 6 months, or suffer further complications.

This man, at the age of 64, still has the crystal clear voice of an angel. I would NEVER want him to risk his health or his beautiful voice. So, devastated as I am that I can't experience them in concert, I am thankful that Jon is following his doctors orders. I want him well, and healthy! And if they do decide to tour later, I just hope they still have Missouri on the itinerary.

Thanks for listening. I just needed to tell someone the story of my burst of extreme happiness that plummeted a day later.
  2. poets

poets Member

I'm really sorry to hear that. That was the opportunity of a lifetime. Are there any other bands that you could go see that are touring now? I used to go to concerts more frequently than I do now, before the Fibro made my ears so sensitive.

I can relate because back in '74 I had a chance to see Led Zeppelin. Front row seats! Long story, it didn't happen. I had the tickets and all.....................

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, Shucks! that is just a shame! I am so sorry your dream didn't come true.

Sometimes I feel like, It's not as tho I'm asking for a trip around the world or a million bucks or yacht w/ a ribbon around it. I just want__________. But it doesn't work out.

Really discouraging! I hope some unexpected treat will come along to make up some for your disappointment.

4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I heard the announcement this morning regarding the cancellation of the tour and I was really surprised, as was my daughter who works for a music publication. Perhaps they will be able to reprise a portion of the tour. Nevertheless, it is totally disappointing and I feel for you.

I have such fond memories of YES. I remember being 14 and loving them and my little, couldn't even really call him boyfriend, just a kid who really liked me and I liked him, gave me a rhinestone pin that spelled YES because he knew I liked the band so much. I still have that pin somewhere, and hearing YES play is always like a trip back to a happy time.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to resume the tour at some time and bring it to a venue near you. Hey, you never know!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

poets...No, there is no other band I would put myself through that for, now in my non-youth and crappy health. I am not really up to the crowd, the heat, the walking...but I thought, worst case scenario - if I die there, what a perfect way to go!

Rock, no other event could replace this, or would give me the joy I had for the day. I imagine my husband will ask if there is something else we could do instead. There's really not.

Lgp, I am surprised to find another Yes fan here. There's 3 kinds of people. People who love Yes, people who cant stand them, and people who think Roundabout was the only song they ever did.

I will get over it though. I am just disappointed. I really am concerned for Jon Anderson's health though. This guy is really trying to change the world through his music, and I don't think he's done yet. Such a truly wonderful individual, with such a powerful angelic voice. And now, respiratory problems - I can't think of anything worse than him being unable to sing.

Here he is with some of the members of Yes, in 2002 -

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  6. Doober

Doober New Member

That is just too bad to have this happen.

Jon Anderson is a very talented person. Not only did he write songs for his band.

He wrote many other pieces of music and also colaborated with my favorite "New Age" artist Vangelis in some of the songs that they produced.

They even have a greatest hits "Jon & Vangelis" which have some very interesting and unique songs.

I hope he gets better and resumes his tour and especially plays the stadium where you had purchased tickets for.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

to hear that the band you loved so much had to cancel their tour. What a terrible disappointment, I know. Just like I think Laura said, Hopefully sometime in the not to distant future you can see them in concert, after his voice heals some.

I know right now you are just devistated and really let down and for good reason after all this time of loving this band.

Try not to be so hard on yourself though. If you dwell on it I am afraid that it will just make you feel worse physically.

I just don't know what else to say except how sorry I am for you and your son. It is a terrible disappointment. I hope that something will happen soon to make you feel zt least a little better.

Blessings and hugs,

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Led Zeppelin!!! I am so jealous. Do they still have the band. Since this DD, I have become a bit rusty in this area.

Wow, how exciting. I used to clean house to their music as somehow it energized me. In fact I can hear one of the songs in my head as I type.

Lucky you.

foreverkid, What a disappointment. Isn't if funny how some of these bands are still around and a lot of them are in their sixties? Hope you find something that will bring this kind of excitment to you and your family.

Take care, GA
  9. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

in 1984 the 90215 tour, I saw them in Philly, at the Spectrum, I wonder if that Stadium is still there? I also saw ZZtop there as well as Bruce Springsteen.

I also saw Yes in '87 for their Big Generator tour. They were awesome at both concerts.

Hopefully you will get another chance to see them.

10. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Elaine - I tried watching them on youtube yesterday, but I was still too crushed and it just made me cry. I'm all better now though. But I will be doing that to hold me over. I really believe they will try to reschedule the tour, if they are able. My main concern is Jon Anderson's health right now. Without him, NOBODY gets any YES. Not real YES anyway, IMO. And more importantly, I just want him well, healthy and able to do what makes him happy!

Bevy - I am ultra envious that you got to see them TWICE! YES has a way of transporting you. I imagine that is even stronger in person. I had tickets to see them at the Starlight Theater in KC, an outdoor venue. I think YES under the stars would be the ultimate way to go.

GApsych - Yeah, they are getting pretty old for this way of life - ages ranging from 59 - 64. Heck, I'm too old to be GOING to concerts! But I was willing to go anyway, to fulfill my (almost) lifelong desire to see them. 4ever-son could probably come up with another concert or event that would make up for it. But not me. Yes was at the top of my "must see before I die" list as a teen. Now, they are the only thing on the list.

Doober - Yeah, Jon has done some really cool stuff with Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, and several others too. I think it was Jon with TD on the soundtrack of the movie Legend, (starring Tom Cruise.) His solo albums are each very different in theme, and he tends to be somewhat New Agey by himself.

Poets - Led Zeppelin in 74! That would have been great - at the height of their career! And front row??? How ever did you swing that? Did they cancel the tour?

Other than free VIP tickets to see the Moody Blues back in 95, I have not been to a concert since I was 20 something. So this is not something I normally do. But if they decide to reschedule the tour at a later date, and they come to KC or St. Louis (I can't imagine them ever coming to the Ozarks) then I will be there!
  11. poets

poets Member

Well, it was this way..........When I was living in Baltimore, a really homely, and truly crazy guy had a crush on me. I was half afraid of him. He came over to my house and handed me these tickets to the concert. It was in Washington DC. He said, "I got some concert tickets, front row, for Zeppelin. I'll take you along if you make it a date with me." I said, "You mean go out with you?" He said, "Yeah. A date." That did it. There was no way I was going to that concert 40 miles away with "Bernie." He'd been kicked out of the Marines because he was mentally unstable. He ended up going with one of my ex-boyfriends. I guess no girl would go with him. I loved Led Zeppelin, and still do, but I just couldn't handle a situation like that. :eek:(

12. ckball

ckball New Member

I am sorry to hear this, I had not heard they were doing a tour, I had tickets to see REO Speedwagon in 79, it was a 2 hours drive on New Years day, we didn't make it and I think I still have the tickets...somewhere.

I saw the Moody Blues too in the early 80's, but like haven't been to a concert in I can't remember when. Maybe Bon Jovi when my daughter was 16, it was a surprise birthday present. She LOVED them| She is 33 now.

I hope they find a way to reschdule and you can still go, hang in there, but it really does suck, my deepest sympathies to you-Carla
  13. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow, Meg. That was quite a moral dilemma for a person that young. Front row Zeppelin with a freak, or play it safe and miss the opportunity of a lifetime? Not to mention every rock-lovers dream! Tough decision. You chose wisely!

You wouldn't have had a good time. At the very least, you would have been uncomfortable with the guy, wondering what would happen when you left. At the very worst - no telling. And if you would have gone, you would have been using the guy you didn't like for the great ticket.

You played it honorable and safe. You should get extra points from above for making the right choice on that test!

Maybe you will get the chance to see them again someday. They did a reunion show recently....and they have to compete with several other old great bands that are still kicking hard.

And if you think you aren't up to it... I thought I was healed the day after I bought tickets. I felt great!!
  14. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Sorry to hear that. I can totally understand your disappointment because I've been waiting decades to see Elton John and now I Finally Got Tickets!!! for September.
    If he cancelled the concert I would take the big one.

15. poets

poets Member

Thank you for the words of praise! I don't hear things much like that anymore!

16. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Elaine - thanks for the pep talk! I have a DVD concert to hold me over till the real thing.

Funny, when I bought it last year, I realized this was the first time I had ever SEEN them playing music. Sure, I've seen their photos and heard all their songs.

But back in the olden days, before music videos, we had to walk 10 miles in the snow to buy an album, and all we could do was HEAR it and look at the album cover. YES was not the variety show, or even the Midnight Special type of band. So it's not like they were ever on tv or anything.

But really, if I had just watched them on music videos instead of sitting in my room with the sound cranked up, glued to the Roger Dean artwork on the album, I don't think they would have had the same effect on me.

Pumpkinpatch - Elton John!!!! That will be an incredible show! He was also one of my favorites back in the 70's. My brother saw him a few years ago, and he said it was a great concert. He is really out to please his fans! YOU will have to report back after you see him!

Poet - You probably look back on that missed concert with regret. But soooo many things could have gone wrong in that situation if you had gone. And it could have ruined Led Zeppelin for you too! That would be tragic!