I was so scared, never had any thing happen to me before

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dc1980, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

Saturday night at 10pm I had my grandson in the car and we had just left my mom's, well I needed some boxes and thought I would pull behind K-Mart and see if they had boxes in the dumpster. Well, low and be hold - 2 cops pulled up and ask me what I was doing and I told them. Luckly my grandson sleep thru it all...the police ask me was I trying to steal something and I said NO. They called for another police and I was about to die. This one was very mean. They ask me could they seach my car and I said YES, well quess what they found...I had a small pill container and in it I had 1 hydrocodone and 1 xanax and in my glove box they found a tube of red paint that I found in a parking lot 3 yrs ago and they wanted to know why I had it. Who knows??? I told them I got my scripts at Walgreens and they called and the mean officer left. Then the 2 that orginally pulled up said that I had 2 choices - 1) One was to go get booked for having narcotics not in the bottle 2) Let them throw the pills away and get the hell out of there and never come back. I bet you can guess which choice I choose - I said throw them away and throw away the container but he said no that in TN you had to carry narcotics in their bottles and I could use the container for tylenol. He did ask me what was wrong with me and what other scripts I was taking - after that list - I think he was tired. (And I was shaking in my boots)

It was the most embarrassing thing, I still have not told my husband. I can only imagine what would have happened if they took me to jail. I would never get to watch my grandson again.

It taught me a great lesson, NEVER , NEVER, NEVER cary scripts in purse without them being in original bottles and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to K-Mart for anything at anytime of the day or night.

Sorry, I had to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Bless you all,
  2. mshvan

mshvan New Member

Thank god law enforcement is keeping dangerous people like you in line.

That's unreal.
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I understand how scared you must hvae been. I know that when I was flying to see my daughter in Ct. when she was a nanny I brought all my meds in their orginal bottles. I was terrifed about checking in at the counter and what would happen if I were to need a pain pill while in flight, I had them in my carry on and it was at my feet so I leaned over and opened the box that I carry all my meds in and took a pain pill. I hoped that no one had watched me take it. Thankfully I was fine and no one asked about my meds .

I had asked my brother about meds and carring them in my purse when I am uptown and start to hurt bad , He said that I should not be driving when I take them any way.

TOO bad I have to take them and drive. I have days where I have to take care of my Mom , take her to the doctor, uptown fill her scripts ect. And I have to stop and take my lesser pill as I hurt and don't want it to get out of hand. But I am always terrified that I will get pulled over and the police will find my meds and ask lots of questions about why I take what I take.
    IF that situation happened to me I would have been in tears when they were questioning you.

Next time keep a pill in a bottle with a label on it.
    HOpe you are ok now and don't stress to much.
    Lots of ~HUGS~
  4. xphile

xphile New Member

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'd have been scared out of my wits. It's such a shame that everyone gets treated like a criminal now. I'm glad you pointed out the script and bottle problem.

I was thinking of going to a few stores and looking for boxes for my daughter, but I think I'd rather just go and buy them.
    No offense to any policemen on the board or their families,
    but sometimes I think the police get out of hand. We have a few town cops in my little village and they think just because they have a badge you're supposed to bow or salute every time they go by.

Glad it turned out alright for you. It's a shame about your medicine though. Kind of makes you lose faith in your fellow man.

5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

What jerks these guys were. They have nothing better to do?

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I can't believe this happened to you. Or could happen to anyone. I thought they were encouraging us to go dumpster diving -lol- I know you were just trying to get boxes, I've done the same thing. I heard that an airline, maybe it was Northwest handed out pamphlets extolling the virtues of dumpster diving to their employees before giving them all the sack so are we or are we not supposed to go dumpster diving?

This is outrageous. I don't understand why you wouldn't tell your hubby about this. You have no reason to feel bad, you didn't do anything wrong.

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2008]
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am sorry this happened to you and you must have been scared. When I travel I carry all my scripts in their bottles but for day to day use I have pill trays.

It's too bad these policemen felt the need to scare you like that.

However, I don't understand what this has to do with Kmart...why would you not shop there because of this? I would think if you were entering a store during business hours you would have no police problems.
  8. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

Thanks for the support. I had put them in my pillbox before we went to my mother's so when I dropped off my grandson I could take them if I needed them. I don't take anything while driving with him in the car. I had him for 2 days and before I was taking him home I just thought I would grab me a couple of boxes at K-Mart, which is 2 miles from his house. Geez...never thought in a million years I would have 3 police cars pull up for dumpster diving for boxes. The funny thing is I never even got my boxes.

And no I don't have anything against K-mart and yes I will still shop there.

I haven't told my husband because he has told me many times not to carry my pills in my purse. Just didn't want to hear "I told ya so". Two years ago my mother was going to her mom's 3 counties away (approx. 150 miles) and got pulled over and she had her nerve pills in the bottle and some spilled and were lose in the bottom of her purse and they took her to jail. (Mind you my father just got killed 2 months prior and he was driving with my sister's 6 yrs son and both were killed as my dad ran into a semi truck so yes she had a script for nerve meds). She was charged with possession with intent to sale of narcotics and was on probation for 1 yr. She even had a note from her doctor and pharmacy and they still charged her. That's the main reason why I haven't told my husband.

I could care less about losing two pills; the alternative according to the officer would have been jail. I just thought I was safe having them in the pillbox but according to the officer it is made for Tylenol.

It just upsets me that they make these pillboxes from Mon - Sun to small decorative kinds and nowhere does it say "Do not put narcotics in here or you will go to jail". However, I learned my lesson ;o)

**Keep your pills in their bottle in TN**

9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I can understand why you would have been scared.

Very gentle hugs for you, Susan
  10. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Okay...I'm no lawyer, BUT...I thought that if you could produce a scrip within a certain period of time you were free and clear. I guess if I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing, especially with a small child in the car.

By the way...you could have refused the search on your car, but they probably would have made you wait while they obtained a warrant.

Our tax dollars at work.

11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh how horrible. I would've been scared to death. I am going to my purse right now and making sure I have my original bottles!
    Even though I've never done anything wrong (got my FIRST ticket last month) - the police always make me nervous, because of stories like this! Some are wonderful and obviously protective - some are on a powertrip I think.
    The guy that gave me a ticket was just rude - for no reason.
    After reading what happened to your Mom, I am just appalled!
    Your poor Mom!!! - and of course, that must've been hard on your as well, after just losing your Dad. I'm so sorry.

BTW- your secret is safe with us! =)
  12. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I also live in Tn. And I have been guilty of grabbing a pain pill and wrapping it aluminum foil as I started out the door to church, as our services have been known to go on for a good bit. Sometimes I get into a lot of pain from the hardness of the pews disagreeing with the arthur in my spine.

But your post reminds me of what happened to a cousin of mine. Yep, right here in the good ole Voluunteer State! He is Bi-polar and had a pill on him-his Litium, for crikey's sake! He was stopped for missing a stop sign and they searched him. Why they needed to search him for that, when he had no prior record, I have no idea.

So...they found that ONE BIG, BAD PILL! Next thing my cousin knew, he was booked and behind bars. My aunt and uncle had to come and bring his prescription bottle, but it did not stop there. They had to have his psych-doc contact their lawyer and it was a very long, drug out dilemma.

And still, until your post, I was wrapping that one pain pill in foil to save lugging around the whole bottle, because I worry about someone stealing the whole bottle and then I will be without. I guess now I will have to keep my old bottle, pour the full RX in them and use the new bottle to put my solitary pill in for church. Sheesh!

I am so sorry things like this happen to people. There is so much worse that people do, yet they seem to get off free and clear. But your post has made me wake up and see how dangerous this is, and so you have done a very good thing by posting it. As far as your hubby goes, given what he would probably put you through with the "I told you so's," I hate that you have to keep anything from him. But I totally understand why you have chosen to do so. Hugs, great, big, gentle hugs.
  13. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

One has excedrin it in, one day may have my couple of Ultram and one may have a couple of Percocet.

This is actually a law in most states that they have to be in the original container. It is not a new law, I worked for law inforcement for some time, but believe me it is all in who you know. The deputies I worked with knew I carried mine that way. Thy even kidded me about it.

Remember when the tiny thin Capri cigarettes first came out, I was smoking one at work one night when they came in the office, they just laughed and said "Now she's smoking those left handed cigarettes too". They meant a joint, which of course it was not.

I still carry mine in a container, but I hope never am stopped since I don't live in MO and work for law anymore.
  14. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

There is no way I could carry all of my pill bottles. I have a days worth of prescriptions in my purse, just in case, so I guess they'll be taking me to jail.

It will be a great story to tell my grandkids if I ever get caught.

I promise I will never go dumpster diving! LOL

Take care
  15. simonedb

simonedb Member

dudette that is a bummer!

i wondered what the rules are, I thought technically you have to have it in orig bottle for travelling so for flying I do that. But in the car and around town I usually keep a couple in a little bag in my wallet in change zippered section. I don't know if during a search they would look in there, probably depends how into it they are.
    I guess I have been lucky most of my life, look like an innocent little white girl,but I don't kid myself that there isnt a thin, what is it, red or blue? line between me and jail, for any of us, and if you are a person of color you probably know the reality of this even better. And since the patriot act and all everything in the new millenium, well welcome to brave new world. We probably should be more careful because the law is less on our side than it used to be, there has been a lot more freedom given to authority to search etc they can come into your house and take your puter harddrive if they want to just on grounds of vague suspicions. LIke most of you I am not doing anything illegal but in fairness, I think it is sort of vague gray territory as far as medication and the car, its much more spelled out for alcohol----its a whole pandoras box if they really wanted to get into legislating how to deal with medication----how do u figure that out, there are so many meds and everybody gets effected differently....some people feel loopy from antidepressants, some people have the tolerance of a bull for strong narcotics with chronic pain; its not really clear is it legally when its ok to drive on meds?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2008]
  16. poets

poets Member

We are rapidly becoming a police state and it scares me to death. Freedom?