I went to the doc today...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Oct 9, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I just handed him a long list of symptoms and said I think I have CFS. He ordered a series of blood tests to rule out other things. They took 5 vials of blood. I told him I had been diagnosed with FM by one rhuemy and then after that another dx me with familial mediterranean fever but said he thought I did not have FM. This doc today was a PCP. He said that no one in his practice has been dx with CFS. Is this something that is hard to get diagnosed? Do docs not want to see this, I got the feeling like it was a rare thing. He said after the blood work then we would go from there. He metioned seeing a infectious disease doc and a "fuzzologist" (spelling?) which he explained that was a muscle doc. He did up my zoloft, but did not give me anything for pain or sleeplessness. I am feeling a bit better today than I have been, but still wish he had of at least gave me something for the aches and pains until we can know something. I felt he is a good doc, but I did not get to explain myself or really tell what has been going on. I guess I will probably get that opportunity in the near future.
  2. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I just handed him a long list of symptoms and said I think I have CFS. He ordered a series of blood tests to rule out other things. They took 5 vials of blood. I told him I had been diagnosed with FM by one rhuemy and then after that another dx me with familial mediterranean fever but said he thought I did not have FM. This doc today was a PCP. He said that no one in his practice has been dx with CFS. Is this something that is hard to get diagnosed? Do docs not want to see this, I got the feeling like it was a rare thing. He said after the blood work then we would go from there. He metioned seeing a infectious disease doc and a "fuzzologist" (spelling?) which he explained that was a muscle doc. He did up my zoloft, but did not give me anything for pain or sleeplessness. I am feeling a bit better today than I have been, but still wish he had of at least gave me something for the aches and pains until we can know something. I felt he is a good doc, but I did not get to explain myself or really tell what has been going on. I guess I will probably get that opportunity in the near future.
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I'm an old-timer here but have been down a couple of months so please excuse any repetitive things I say.

It sounds to this ole'bird you have a good doc. He or she is running the bloodwork before starting on a treatment plan. This is sound and you have a base of monitoring as the months and years go by. IF Pred. or any steriod is suggested, find out why ie. autoimmune disease or whatever. I could write a book and am, but Prednisone and my election to take it too long cost me dearly. SO

I simply repeat your doc is doing the right thing by taking all the blood work before buggering up your profile by any meds. He should be able to tell if you have any underlying autoimmune arthritis, lupus et al.

Wish I would have had the good sense you are manifesting! Love CactusLil'
  4. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

cactuslil, so you used to raise white standard poodles? I have a mini poo and 2 toys. They are my children! I am a groomer and love my job. I have this overwhelming fear however, it will eventually end due to this sickness. Anyway if you have any pics of your dogs I love seeing them and want my email address to send them let me know. As far as the blood work up, thanks on shedding some insight on that. He said there is a lot of stuff that has to be ruled out. So yeh, you are right. I am glad I have this group to come to and (as you call yourself) ole timers to ask advise on this disease so we can learn from you! Thanks!
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Just had this same experience yesterday! New rheumatologist (I moved recently) diagnosed CFS (as opposed to the FM dx I'd had). I had already had the bloodwork done by my PCP before she referred me. He said my tenderness & swelling in lymph nodes & low-grade fever I tend to run led him to say CFS more than FM-- but then he drew a venn diagram showing how conditions tend to overlap (which of course, we all are aware of anyway). Hope you have some luck finding treatments that can make you more comfortable!

Pam