I WON (disability). Have questions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, Nov 24, 2006.

1. damz68

damz68 New Member

For some reason since I got ill I just dont comprehend things the same. It causes me to much confusion so I try not to think as the confusion causes anger. I just got a letter from disability and I am confused. I would like to post the letter but I cant figure how to paste it. So I will just type more than I wanted and ask you all the questions.

1) First off, my lawyer is going to get $5,300.00. This seems a little high, problem I have is I can not remember what # they gave me, if they did at all. Also I did not get any info in writing from them, no copies of anything. Does that amount seem right? SS owes me $33,995.00 in back pay.

2)They say they are withholding benifits from 12/03-10/06 until they see if I should recieve SSI during that period. If so they will reduce the amount. What does this mean?

3)They gave me a figure of 913.00 a month before deductions of medicare and workers comp. I thought medicare was free and why am I paying workers comp?

4) They tell me that I can get insurance as far back as 12/05. It will cost me and I have no hospital bills during that time because I had been on medicaid until about 6 months ago. I should not need this, right.

5) I have two kids 6 and 10 years of age. SS called me this morning and asked me to come in thursday and bring them a copy of the kids birth certifacates. How will this affect my disability?

$900.00 a month is not much, but it is better than nothing. I would like to make the most of this, hopefully short stay on disability. Is there anything you all can reccomend to make the most out of this. Are they actually there to help me get back on my feet? The docs I have seen dont seem to care weather I am sick or not, it is not like anyone is going out of there way to help me get well and back to work. Now that I am costing our country wil they try to help me, so I wont be a burdan to them. What I am asking is, are there any programs our special docs that may care a little more, anything to help me get my life back? So if you all can give me any tips on what to get and how to do it and so on, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone

Derek
  2. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

no idea. I just started filling mine out to try to get it.
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

I'll try to answer some of your questions.....

>>1) First off, my lawyer is going to get $5,300.00. This seems a little high, problem I have is I can not remember what # they gave me, if they did at all. Also I did not get any info in writing from them, no copies of anything. Does that amount seem right? SS owes me $33,995.00 in back pay. <<

Lawyers are permitted to take 25% of your back pay by law, but only up to a certain amount. So this amount seems right. Also your lawyer can charge you seperately for any copies/etc they made/etc. If you paid your lawyer to get copies of your medical records see that you get them from the lawyer.

>>2)They say they are withholding benifits from 12/03-10/06 until they see if I should recieve SSI during that period. If so they will reduce the amount. What does this mean? <<

If you had any income (I think this also includes workmans comp but I'm not sure) over $2000.00 per month you're not eligable for SSI. If you made more than $2000.00 per month then you get SSD.

>>3)They gave me a figure of 913.00 a month before deductions of medicare and workers comp. I thought medicare was free <<

Medicare is not free. It's deducted from your monthly SS check. The amount they charge depends on your benefit amount.

>>and why am I paying workers comp?<<

If you were on off work due to a work related injury & got Workmans Comp benfits SSA deducts the total amount you got from the amount of back pay SSD you're entitled to.

>>4) They tell me that I can get insurance as far back as 12/05. It will cost me and I have no hospital bills during that time because I had been on medicaid until about 6 months ago. I should not need this, right. <<

Sorry can't answer this one for you. Perhaps someone else can. I think you can opt out. I'd talk to your SSA case worker or your lawyer.

>>5) I have two kids 6 and 10 years of age. SS called me this morning and asked me to come in thursday and bring them a copy of the kids birth certifacates. How will this affect my disability? <<

It's possible you can get benefits for them too.

>>$900.00 a month is not much, but it is better than nothing. I would like to make the most of this, hopefully short stay on disability. Is there anything you all can reccomend to make the most out of this. Are they actually there to help me get back on my feet? The docs I have seen dont seem to care weather I am sick or not, it is not like anyone is going out of there way to help me get well and back to work. Now that I am costing our country wil they try to help me, so I wont be a burdan to them. What I am asking is, are there any programs our special docs that may care a little more, anything to help me get my life back? So if you all can give me any tips on what to get and how to do it and so on, I will really appreciate it. <<

You didn't state you health problem(s) so I can't really answer...other than No.... SSA won't offer you any real help as far as locating medical help. You have to find good doctors yourself.

[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2006]
  4. damz68

damz68 New Member

Can anyone tell me if the medicare will reduce the cost of drugs like cymbalta? Is the medicare worth $88/month.
  5. 143alan

143alan New Member

I work with the Dept of Human Services and the feds sent mass change alerts for our cases Thursday. This means that when we return to work on Monday we'll have hundreds of cases to run to update with the SS increase for 1/07 and the increase in medicare premium.

I can't remember the memo off the top of my head but I think the medicare premium is going to 99.00, not sure it's over 90.00 but the exact amt escapes me at the moment. It didn't show us the increase in SS amts that will happen when we run the cases Monday. The increase usually barely covers the increase in the medicare premium.

I can't say what you should do about taking the medicare but I can tell you that if you don't take it when they offer it and you decide to take it later because you can't get insurance it's as much as 3x higher. Typically you have to be 62 or have been on SSA for 2 years to receive medicare. If you are able to receive medicare they will stop your medicaid if you are receiving this. If it's available to you they expect you to take it and not to is considered double-dipping. It sucks I know. READ EVERYTHING and don't jump to any quick decisions. Each child is eligible to receive a portion of SSA because they are your dependents.

SSA sends out a report for each person just before their birthday and it tells the amounts you are eligible to receive and how much your dependents can receive etc...

I don't know if I've helped or hurt your situation but wanted to share what I know and hope that it helps. You can call your local Dept of Human Services and they should be able to answer your questions over the phone.
    Take Care
    nancy
  6. 143alan

143alan New Member

I forgot to tell you about that. In our state it is called QMB other states call it MQB and others something else. It is a program that as long as you meet the income eligibility criteria this program pays the medicare premium for you. It takes about 2-3 months for the SS system to catch up with it but then they send you a check for the months that the premium was paid twice.

Good pickup Ouch!!
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

You can get back pay for numerous years.

Your kid will also get social security until they are 18 or graduate high school. If they are 18 and still in high school, you get it until they graduate. You will also receive back pay for them. The $5,300 is the max a lawyer can take. It is $5300 or 25% - whichever is less I believe.

If your household income is low, you can also ask for extra help on your part D (the one that pays for prescriptions).

You may be able to get your state aid office to pay for your regular medicare premiums if your income is low enough.
  8. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

your paying your lawyer fee(thats the max i got quoted)he should be answering these questions ??? GOD BLESS FOY
  9. ktpar

ktpar New Member

I just applied in June '06, it took me until Oct '06 to get a denial, I just put in for Court appearance before an Admin judge. I wonder how much longer this would take? I am appealing in the state of Colorado.