I Won My SSDI........There's hope for all of us!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Coping, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Coping

Coping New Member

I am so excited I can barely type. I filed for my disability in November 2001. In April of this year I received more forms to fill out.

Today I received THE PHONE CALL! I have been approved and go in to the local office on Friday to discuss my benefits.
    I am so happy that they are recognizing FMS/CFS as a disabling disease.
    I will pray for each and everyone of you to get approved.

If you have any questions about my story or if I can help you with what little I know. I will be happy to answer them.
    I live in California......I know that's the first question everyone asks.
    Regards,
    Tricia
  2. Coping

Coping New Member

I am so excited I can barely type. I filed for my disability in November 2001. In April of this year I received more forms to fill out.

Today I received THE PHONE CALL! I have been approved and go in to the local office on Friday to discuss my benefits.
    I am so happy that they are recognizing FMS/CFS as a disabling disease.
    I will pray for each and everyone of you to get approved.

If you have any questions about my story or if I can help you with what little I know. I will be happy to answer them.
    I live in California......I know that's the first question everyone asks.
    Regards,
    Tricia
  3. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Tricia....
    I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would like to talk to you. I live in Calif. and I filed almost two years ago and I have a hearing coming up.
    My claim will go back to Nov. 2000, but getting it approve has been a fight.....PLEASE help.
    E-mail me at Nana2Andromeda@aol.com because I would like to exchange phone numbers. My case is being taken care of in the Fresno area even those I live in Kern county.
    Again......I am so happy for you.
    BIG BIG HUGS......Donna
  4. granmama

granmama New Member

I am so happy to hear the great news!
    My daughter has been turned down, but she will persist!

I know you are on "Cloud Nine"...congratulations again.

granmama
  5. Billie

Billie New Member

As I always say, a victory for one of us, is a victory for us all!

Billie
  6. dianep

dianep New Member

I'm so happy for you....it's a BIG relief off your shoulders!!
  7. sweetladyjane

sweetladyjane New Member

That's great!! I go to my hearing soon. Have been plugging away at the forms, deadlines and appeals for years. I'd love to hear your story. What was the key to success? I am in VA, have not had good docs. Jane
  8. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

to you Tricia. I know it doesn't help with the fibro but at least now you can relax and stop stressing about that! At least, now, you can focus all your mental energy on taking care of yourself.
    I live in Valencia CA. I just started receiving unemployment disability last week. Horray, after taking 5 wks. to go thru. Now, I have all the forms from ssdi which is gonna be a lot of work. One question: Did you get an Social Security Attorney to handle for you or did you do it yourself?
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer for me. Thanks for letting us all know. At least I don't feel sooo doomed right now. Hey, if just one of us has success, we all stand a fighting chance. Again, happy day and life to you and yours.
    til later, Betty in Valencia
  9. Coping

Coping New Member

I did not get an attorney. My email address is in my profile and if you like to email me I will be happy to tell you what I did.

I was truly shocked that I didn't get turned down at least 2 times.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tricia,

P.S. We use to love to go to Magic Mountain down there. Now I look at those rides an go "OUCH".
  10. herblady

herblady New Member

congratulations! i know you're thrilled. i do hope this gives others here hope. i got my disability for another reason. so i like to see how many get it for fm/cfs. cindi
  11. hbic

hbic New Member

There is hope, I had been searching the SSA site last night and was getting worried because I wasnt finding anything hopeful. Now, does anyone have any advice for me?
    My Rhuemie will not help me with SSI. He tells me to ask my PCP. She says SSI is too time consuming and too much of a hassle for her. So I asked the Referal office to give me names of other Rheumies that take my insurance. There were only 3 more names. One of which doesnt work at that office any more and they dont know where he is. One other, I got some airhead on the phone who didnt know what I was talking about, and would have the doc call me back. No response as of yet. The last was out of the office all week, but the secretary says he does not do SSI. So, whats a girl to do then?
  12. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I am soooooooooo happy for you!!! I am just starting the process. It took me the best part of two weeks to fill out the paperwork, but I finally got it done. Now I feel there is hope for me too.
    Kathryn
  13. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Hearing a good outcome gives me a sense of hope and keeps me going in my battle for LTD and SSD. Thanks for sharing, and best wishes for a much more peaceful, restful life!

J.C.
  14. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

So happy for you......
  15. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Thank you for sharing this with all of us. This site has given me more hope then ANYTHING else has. I had my hearing August 2nd so waiting for the phone to ring or the mail to come... It is so encouraging to here that all the stress and anguish of all this will at least be worth if for some of us hopefully for all that apply and fight the long hard battle. Excellent news!!!! Sarad
  16. Coping

Coping New Member

Thank you so much Everyone! Boy did I sleep well last night!
    I decided to copy and paste an answer to one of my emails I received today. I hope it makes sence. I don't communicate as well as I use to.

First of all, I found out that the only thing SSI is interested in is the
    disease that is making you unable to work. And they want to know what you
    can no longer do.

When I received those papers, I about died. There were so many questions
    and so many things I had to know from so long ago.
    I read and realized that all they wanted to know was about my current
    illness, which made it easier for me. I didn't have to remember all the
    surgery dates that didn't apply, nor did I have to put down all of the
    doctors I ever went to BEFORE my illness.
    I also noticed that on the first set of forms you get from the SSA have the
    same questions as the second and third set. So, be sure to make a copy of
    your first set of forms so you are consistent in your answers, dates,
    addresses and limitations. (You know how our memories are;))
    Remember ALL they are interested in are your limitations. For instance, I
    filed for Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, and Depression associated. I didn't
    even mention the depression on my limitations, as it is obvious since some
    days I cannot walk or sit for more that 15 mins at a time.

All of my answers seemed so redundant. I have also heard that they do not
    want to hear long drawn out answers about what your knowledge in your work
    environment.
    The disability home page on immune support helped me immensely. I followed every bit of Scott Davis' advice.
    I hope that this email gives you some help even if it is only encouragement.
    Please feel free to email again and please excuse my typo's. I haven't had
    my 1 cup of coffee yet! LOL
    Sincerely,
  17. Coping

Coping New Member

I didn't even tell my doctor I was filing. I mentioned to him that I might file and he told me I would get turned down 2-3 times.

You know what? SSI just requested a copy of my file from him, that's all. He didn't have to fill out a thing! In his file, of course, he had my previous Drs. info since they request all of your past records from previous doctors.
    I may be wrong but I don't think you have to have the support of your doctor. Also, my doctor is an SSI Doctor for all of Kern County!
    Kinda makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Tricia
  18. Dara

Dara New Member

I tried to e-mail you using your e-mail address on your profile but for some reason it was sent back as undeliverable. I had some questions but I think you've answered just about all of them. Is Fibromyalgia what they have awarded the SSD for? My understanding is that all they want from the doctors are your limitations not their opinion of whether you are disabled or not. I am in my "reconsideration" part of SSD, and am still appealing my long term disability. This is really getting to me, I know they want you to give up, but not just yet I won't. Anyway, I think it's great for you that you got it so soon without having to fight for years for what is rightfully yours.

Dara
  19. Coping

Coping New Member

I go to the local SS office tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. I guess at that time they will let me know if the award was for the Fibro, Osteo or combination of all.
    Will let you know.

Tricia
  20. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Scott Davis is my attorney. Please Read my post -

SO UPSET RE: SSD PLEASE PRAY FOR ME

and then, please please pray for me to win my case.

thank you

[ advertisement ]