I WON MY SSI REDETERMINATION!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lone-wolf, Sep 8, 2003.

1. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

Since April I have been holding my breath and going through all the paperwork and doctor appointments etc. required by Social Security for redetermination... which put me into a major flare..... anyway, today I got my mail and received a letter from SS telling me that I have met their requirements and under their rules I am disabled and my benefits will continue!!! Thank God! Just had to share it with you all.

Hugs, Lonewolf
  2. Debrat

Debrat New Member

Hey......wolf that is great news..........happy for you.
  3. darlamk

darlamk New Member

It is encouraging to see this kind of news here today!! I am so happy for you, Darla
  4. mamazbutterflyz

mamazbutterflyz New Member

YEAH CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!G'L 2 You! With All and Everything You May DO!
  5. janet38

janet38 New Member

hooorayyyyyyy.....what were your sickness lonewolf...i have applied and it is so frustrating for me.........i have not gotten a lawyer yet....i am in ...well they denied me one time..lost,worried and dont know which way to go.i have congested heart failure,lupus,fibro,hypertension and alot boot load of meds.hugs.janet
  6. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

AND I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU A QUESTION> I AM AT ANYTIME
    WILL BE UP FOR REDETERMATION, AND DREADING IT..

COULD YOU PLEASE, SHARE WITH ME, WHAT "ALL: TO EXPECT?
    DID YOU NEED TO GET A LAWYER? ARE YOU SENT MANY MILES AWAY
    TO "THEIR DOCTORS"?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR SHAREING,
    LADYBUG2
  7. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

I am glad you got your justice!! My lawyer called me a few weeks ago,said that we should be going to court by the end of the year.Looking at October!!I have been so nervous!!I wish it was over!! Again,CONGRATS!! Take Care! Beth
  8. hope-floats

hope-floats New Member

It sounds like he/she has been malingerilng re: education of illnesses like ours. SHAME!

Hang in there and try not to give up. You need insurance and disability income. You are in my thoughts and prayers

Yahoo to lone wolf. Now you can be a support to others who need to keep on pursing disability.
  9. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

five years of paperwork and the trauma and drama associated with qualifying the first time.... best advice I have is to get a lawyer the first time you are denied... I didn't. You have to play the game with SSI. Questions have to be answered according to their 'rules'. If you don't know how to play the game... you loose.

For redetermination keep up your paper trail with your doctors and psychologists, make sure the psyc has a PHD behind his name or SS won't take his info and you will have to go to one of their doctors. Sometimes their doctors are close to where you live, sometimes not. Make sure you bring out at every appointment about your fatigue and pain levels.

I too felt like quitting many times and had to drop back for a bit. Almost lost everything.... have to say I feel it was the by the grace of God that I qualified. Not that I am not disabled but because of all the red tape. I felt more like a criminal instead of a person with a disability trying to get what I had paid into. I know how it saps what little strength we have and causes flares and more pain.... and the paperwork with the fibro fog is more than grueling.

It is worth it to have a good lawyer experienced with FM/CFS or whatever it is you deal with... one with a track record of wins. The lawyers know how to play the games.

If you have to give up for awhile to regroup I understand, but keep at it before time frames run out to appeal... and again, get a good lawyer. There are some lawyers that work for low income people or people that can not pay through the State ... at least here in Michigan there are.

Hope this helps some. Hugs, Lonewolf
  10. Bacci

Bacci New Member

The timing on this was perfect for me. I read your bio and found lots of similarities in how difficult it can be to function in public. I too have been having panic attacks (in addition to CFIDS and a host of other symptoms and illnesses), that in the past year have generalized to so many situations! I did get a good laugh out of your listed occupation (survival). I agree! I used to be a physical therapist and now I am the one who goes to others for help.

Anyhow, yesterday I had my SSI hearing after doing all the paperwork, etc for two years. For about 20mins after the hearing I was on a high (partly from the adrenaline of going through it) just from surviving the whole process. I almost don't care about the money (almost). What I really care about is that people understand this illness and understand that we are suffering and that it's real...and I want to have that acknowledged. After the 20 minute high, I started to feel sick again. It has been so stressful mentally and physically and now I worry about whether or not I will receive assistance. Now I worry about having to go through this all over again. How long did you receive benefits before having to reapply? Next time, I probably won't do it--it's too overwhelming and takes a terrible toll on my health. Unfortunate, but they know they can tire us out and we give up. glad to hear you were so successful!

Bacci
  11. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

and keeping your benifits. When I had to do that I was really nervous too. Since we get to the point afer diagnosis and winning our case and check on us from time to time (between3-5 years), and we can only keep our pain and fuctioning abilities afloat, and wait yet for the most popular therapy, one has to worry if these guys think you are able enough to go back to work. But keep in mind once approved they really can't cut you off unless they can PROVE you are better than when you first applied. They get all your medical documents that are resent, picking up from last they heard of you, so its important some dumb doc don't say your in great shape. Even at that, I think they'd have to have good cause to cut you off. The ss worker that sat with me and took my papers kept telling me over and over , you don't have to worry at all. SO it calmed me.
    kjan9

[ advertisement ]