I won SSD...now the kicker!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb_46, Jul 1, 2009.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Quick run down...Was turned down on my first case by ALJ last summer, denied at Appeals Council. Within a month or so got a call that a lawyer that takes cases to the federal level agreed to take my case. She told me at that level you have about a 50/50 shot.
    She has filed all the necessary briefs on my behalf and now we wait and she told me a couple of weeks ago it will take about nine months to get a decision.

In the meantime I went ahead and started a second claim as a back up plan B. Was turned down, appealed, turned down and requested a hearing on April of this year. It took thirteen months last time to get a hearing date and that was with writing my congressman. Got an approval letter yesterday on my second claim, the judge said my impairments were so severe there was no need for a hearing. He put my date of disability the date I was turned down last Sept.

Before I filed my second claim I asked my original attorney how it would affect my first claim with the backpay if I were to win on the second first. He said we would hear from the first way before we ever get a hearing date on the second. I asked him that just by some fluky instance that I did win on the second first how would it work with the first still being open and he said they would just mesh into one and I would still get my back pay. I sure hope he was right. Been trying to reach him all day but he's been in court.

I'm thrilled to finally be approved as my husband walked out on me four months ago and things have been tight. I am a testament to the power of prayer. I've been praying so hard for this. I was still on my husbands medical insurance but he was laid off from work two weeks ago and yesterday was my last day of having insurance and then got the approval letter in the mail the same day. Will be testfying about that in church this Sunday.

My prayers will continue to be with all of you still fighting and for good health.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

hear the good news.

Jerry on the chit chat board wants to apply for Soc Sec Disability. Maybe you
    can give him some helpful advice.

3. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I don't know when I will be able to apply for medicare, I don't even know how much my SSD check is going to be, said will get paperwork within 60 days, so once again I hurry up and wait.

4. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Will check when I get a chance. Thanks again.

5. victoria

victoria New Member

Your medicare should've already started, as of something like 6 months from the date you're considered disabled, ie, starting whatever date they backdated your settlement to. The approximately $95 Medicare premium will automatically be deducted from each monthly check in the future. So everything should work out fine since you were covered until now.

again, congrats!

all the best,