I won SSDI, 1st try, no lawyer !

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Starla, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Starla

Starla New Member

Thanks to all you guys with all your advice. I did my homework and was well prepared. My case was approved in the 1st 120 days. I never had to see their doctor or anything. To all you who are contemplating filing for the first time. It is well worth spending your time to get your paperwork in order and send EVERYTHING you can in the first time. Don't leave any questions left to be ask. I told them all the needed to know using the "BIG 3" 1. Frequency, 2. Severity, 3. Duration - of your symptoms. Make sure all your questions that are relative have the same answer. Be brief enough, but extensive enough in your descriptions to boldly get your point across, and base it on your worst day. But, most of all, be HONEST, have faith, and God will provide for you what you need. Send letters of reference from friends and family as well.
    If ya'll ever have any questions that I can help with, you can email me from my address in my profile.

God bless you all and hope you all have a better day tomorrow,
    Sincerely,
    Starla
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

I am so very happy for your success. It really helps to feel validated when you have this DD.

Love
    teawah
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Its funny to say "won ssd" cause we are sick and paid into it and I'm thankful for it! Glad you shared. I got mine 2 yrs ago on the first try no lawyer just called 1800 # and honestly answered the question. Thanks for sharing a positive message and enjoy!
    Rene
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Wish I knew for sure what was happening with my case. I got a call about 3 weeks ago saying it had been approved at the State level & was being sent to Seattle for final determination. Do they often get reversed at that level? This was my first go around, and I have an attorney standing by, but have not yet hired him. As always, any advice welcome.
    Kathryn
  5. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

Many Congrats!!!

Take good care......

Melanie
  6. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

I am sooo happy for you! I applied Feb 5th and hope someday to receive benefits as well! I remember you live in Texas. Did your paperwork go to Austin? This is all new to me. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ((((HUGS))))
    Amy
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

I won first time, no lawyer too but did have to see 2 md. Everyone was nice to me. I am convinced the reason I won was because I talked to the case manager severl times and I know she liked me and believed me. I never whined and said poor me. I would imagine they loose there empathy for whiners after a certain amount of time. She told me that she could spot a whiner, faker in an instant. Wow!!!
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm so happy for you! Good advice for others doing this, too----great news!

Hugs,
    Pam
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Congratulations!

Love, Mikie
  10. Starla

Starla New Member

Cyberamy, you ask if I live in TX. Yes, I do and your paperwork goes from your local Soc. Security office to Austin, TX to the "Texas Rehabilitation Commission".

To this day, I would not even known that I won my case. I called in to report I had some new DR and test done and ask if I could send them copies. That is when they told me I had already been approved.

I still have not received any formal papers. I guess their paperwork is slow. I called my Local office to see if it were true. At first she said maybe it was just approved at the first point and had been forwarded. She pulled it up and said it was complete and was set up to receive my first deposit in May 2003. Amazing.
  11. dghoover

dghoover New Member

Congrats, I'm glad to hear you got your SSD. I too got my SSD on the frist try with no lawyers. I answered all their questions openly and honestly. I did have to go to one of their Doctors. About a month later I got a letter telling me how much and when it would start. DGHoover
  12. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Congrats, but what did y'all get your disability FOR? What illness I mean.
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

Congratulations! I, too, received approval of SSDI on my first try. I had to see 2 of their doctors--a psychologist and a medical doctor.

As far as what medical problem that I received it for--it was a combination of everything wrong with me--I listed all of my conditions, which included: heart problems, diabetes, fibro, Lupus, arthritis, high blood pressure, high chlorestrol, GERD, migraine headaches, depression, and sleep apena, and osteoporosis (? sp.)
  14. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Starla: I have the same question as Indigo - did they approve you for fibro or one of the other ailments? I just applied this last week and I think I would probably get it from depression and not fibro. Congratulations!
  15. crimsonfox

crimsonfox New Member

I'm so happy for you, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. dd

dd New Member

I am so happy for you!!! It is so nice to have good news once in a while.

I was also approved the first time with no lawyer. Mine was approved with the diagnosis of Depression and Panic Attacks...was still in the diagnosing stage with the CFS and FM although I did include it in my list of ailments. I think it is much easier to get approved if the CFS and FM are listed as secondary to Depression and Anxiety disorders.

I also kept in constant contact with my case worker. I would call her about twice a month to ask if there was anything else that she needed from doctors, hospitals etc...I think that helped a lot to be in contact with her...that way I didn't get lost in the paper shuffle on a desk somewhere.

Good going!!

Debbie
  17. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Just curious, but it must be extremely rare to get disability if you only have fibro and a few other things like migraines? Why is it that it is easier to get disability with depression than it is with an illness that causes actual physical problems?? I would think depression they would just tell you to take an anti-depressant and be okay, but there isn't really any medicine to give for fibro pain and other pain.
  18. dolphinmk

dolphinmk New Member

Glad to here that you are approved and don't have to wait any longer. That is GREAT !!!!!

I applied Feb 26, 2003 with CFS. I have been out of work since Dec of 2001, but was not diagnoseed until Dec of 2002. On March 11, 2003 I received the forms for daily activities and work history report to fill out. I thought that this was really fast. I sent them back. have not heard anything yet. they said it would be at least 4 months before I would hear anything, that they were backed up so i was suprised to get those forms already.

Good luck to all

best wishes
    dolphinmk
  19. klynnrobinson

klynnrobinson New Member

dear starla,
    glad you one.i live intexas also and applied in dec.2001 been denied several times but had not been diagnoised with depression,anxiety or fms at that time.have now added them to list of other problems.i do have a lawyer but they already missed up my case.they did not file appeal in time so i had to start over.but i have also contacted my congressman to help me. keep fingers crossed.
    take care and god bless,
    klynn
  20. lin21

lin21 New Member

Congrats Starla,

I applied in january and I am still waiting to hear. They just sent me more releases to sign and return. Keep your fingers crossed that I'm as lucky as you.

Liln