I won SSDI, but I'm not sure what come next....help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, May 20, 2009.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Does anyone know when I can expect to know what I receive per month and when....also what about the backpay (that will pay off a lot of debt). I have no idea about medicare and all the supplements...I am just plain lost:)

Can someone who's gone through this help with the answers? Thank you!

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am not sure how long it will take you to get back pay and more info about the monthly payments...that seems to vary a lot....I do know that you are not eligible for Medicare until you have been on SSDI for two years, though (this is from the application date, not the approval date).....if your income is low enough, you may be able to get Medicaide in the meantime (and possibly even once you do become eligible for Medicare)....it is very hard to find a Dr who accepts it, though, but at least most hospitals do.....there are also state run health insurance programs that you might be able to get if you need something until Medicare....the cost, eligibility, etc varies from state to state with those, though.....the supplemental insurance that you can get along with Medicare varies depending on where you live, as well....and getting answers about it can be a big pain....sorry it's not great news, but I am glad that you were able to get SSDI, at least
  3. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I went through all of this two years ago.

Backpay is figured back to the disability date that SS wrote on your acceptance letter. In my case that was nearly a year before I actually applied. It was the day I actually became ill despite the fact that I tryed on two different occasions to work (unsuccessfully) .

As far as your monthly payments, that completely depends on how much money you made ( and therefore paid into FICA) in the last few years that you worked. Therefore it can vary greatly. I know people who get $400 /month and heard of people making as much as $2000/month. It just depends how much you paid in while you worked.

As far as Medicare, It kicks in 2 years AND 6 months from the day SS said you became disabled. Because I didn't apply right away, mine didn't take to long ( I think it was a year) to kick in. SS then takes close to $100/month from my disability check to pay for my Medicare but it is so worth it. Medicare here in Florida at least has been VERY helpful to me and I have had no problems whatsoever finding doctors who accept it.

I also have part D Medicare which you purchase optionally (mine costs around $35 /month)to help pay for medications. This also has been very helpful to me

My backpay came about 2 months before my 1st monthly payment. I think it was about a month after I got my acceptance letter.

I hope this helps. Things will go better for you now, at least it did for me. SSDI has been a blessing for me. I don't know what I would have done without it. I am very thankful for it.

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  4. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I got mine very quickly but I can't remember exactly how long it was From the time I got the letter until I got the back payment was only a month or so. The monthly payments were at the same time.
    And my medicare started right away also.
    I was immediately on the plan A (hospital) and got to choose if I wanted plan B & D. pharmacy)
    I made the mistake of saying no to B & D because I thought I had more time to decide so I had to wait until the next enrollment period.

I'm very foggy tonight, but if you have any more questions let me know.
    I also did a LOT of research here on our boards about Social Security and there's good info in the internet about it.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

In order to try to make this less confusing, I want to clarify why there were two different answers re: Medicare eligibility.......When I said, " I do know that you are not eligible for Medicare until you have been on SSDI for two years", and cinderbug said, " As far as Medicare, It kicks in 2 years AND 6 months from the day SS said you became disabled", this is actually the same thing (if you applied for SSDI as soon as you were able to)............the reason being is that though they look at the date you became disabled (& will put that somewhere on the paperwork), they do not actually consider you eligible for SSDI until you have been disabled for at least 6 months (this is bc anything less than that is considered too temporary)....so, the date you became eligible for SSDI is 6 months after you became disabled, and it is another two years after that before you become eligible for Medicare......now if you waited awhile after that initial 6 month period to apply, the date that they will look at as far as back pay and Medicare eligibility goes could still be the day that the initial 6 months was up

I hope that makes it more clear....I know the whole process is confusing and it's really hard to get any clear answers from the people who are supposed to know
  6. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

or nearest social security office and expalin to them what you need.
    They are very helpful and will also mail you a itemized statement of amount of backpay, monthly payments, amount paid to your attorney, they will know it all.

When you call them also ask when you will receive your medicare card in the mail and they will then ask you if you also want Part B or any others. Part A (hospital ) is automatic to you.

It can take a few days for them to have all the info in their system, but they will get you all your questions answered.

7. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I think I will wait a few days and then call my local SS office. I appreciate all the help, it really helps to be able to "talk" with someone else and get some feedback. I'm am so thankful to have you all:)