I won!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by catmom50, Jun 5, 2009.

1. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

My SSDI hearing was yesterday. This was after 3 1/2 years.

It went very well! After about 45 minutes of a very informal hearing, I didn't understand the last part of the judges summary. As my lawyer and I left the room, he asked if I understood what was said at the end. I replied "no". He said "you won!".

I guess the judge approved it even with my SS benefits being expired before I applied for SSDI.

The lawyer said I was a good claimant, as I was honest and seemed very down to earth and truthful. Plus it probably helped that I am 58 years old, and it is not considered to be easy to become employed after age 55.

So hang in there and do the same, be honest, but don't offer too much information. As my attorney said prior to the hearing, just answer yes or no unless it is absolutely necessary to say more. He prepared me very well.

I'm such a pessimist that I won't believe it until I see the notice in the mail.
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

It took forever, but YOU WON!!!

Glad you had a good, lawyer, too!

3. daboysone

daboysone New Member

Congrats!!! I am excited for you! Now you can relax a little and not have to worry about the financial part anymore! Hugs! M
  4. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Why did it take over 3 years? Was this your first hearing? RUthie
  5. FM58

FM58 New Member

WOW! Congrats Catmom50! That is awesome that the judge let you know at the hearing. I did not find out until 6 weeks later when I received my letter telling me I was approved.

I am so happy for you :)

It should take about 6 weeks to receive the approval letter, then another 6 weeks or so for your first check. The end of summer will be a happy time at your house!
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I know exactly how you feel...I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm awake:) But...if I am awake and reading this then you did really win!!!! Good for you!!

7. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

I know what it's like for a 3 year wait, been there. Seems like 50 plus years is the magic age .

So Happy for you!!

8. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

Thank you all for your kind words. I am still being pessimistic, not wanting to believe it may be finally over. When that approval letter finally comes I'll be doing the happy dance for sure, well maybe a happy stance!

Hang in there all you that have applied and are waiting, it is worth the wait. Believe me and others when we tell you. We worked for this money and we should be able to collect in our time of need.