I wonder if this is a strange symptom

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diggity, Sep 27, 2002.

1. diggity

diggity New Member

Lately I have been smelling, almost to the point of being able to taste, CLEANING FLUID!! For the past couple of days it seems like it is almost always with me. There is none in my house, I'm talking about cleaning fluid like paint thinner, and we aren't doing any painting, or remodeling right now. I have always had a very strong sense of smell. My husband says NOBODY can smell things as quickly as I can. Things like cigarette smoke and pefume just about put me away. Once we were sitting in the car at a traffic light and I kept saying I smelled a cigarette. We looked all around us and finally saw it, THREE cars ahead in the lane beside us, with the windows rolled up. I swear I could smell that cigarette. I only saw it AFTER I smelled it. I don't know if theis is a symptom of any of these diseases or not, but this cleaning fluid thing only just started recently. Have any of you ever had anything like this to happen?
  2. diggity

diggity New Member

Lately I have been smelling, almost to the point of being able to taste, CLEANING FLUID!! For the past couple of days it seems like it is almost always with me. There is none in my house, I'm talking about cleaning fluid like paint thinner, and we aren't doing any painting, or remodeling right now. I have always had a very strong sense of smell. My husband says NOBODY can smell things as quickly as I can. Things like cigarette smoke and pefume just about put me away. Once we were sitting in the car at a traffic light and I kept saying I smelled a cigarette. We looked all around us and finally saw it, THREE cars ahead in the lane beside us, with the windows rolled up. I swear I could smell that cigarette. I only saw it AFTER I smelled it. I don't know if theis is a symptom of any of these diseases or not, but this cleaning fluid thing only just started recently. Have any of you ever had anything like this to happen?
  3. weezo

weezo New Member

No sorry, but sometimes my smelling becomes incredabilty(sorry about spelling)acute and I can smell everything and it's smelly. Mainly my nose dos'nt smell very well and is always stuffed up.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2002]
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

but I honestly don't thing there is such as thing as a "strange" symptom to any of us, we have either heard it all or experienced it all, as my son said tonight "this sure is a weird problem you have, it is like your whole body is changing", makes me wonder if he has maybe noticed the fact that I am in size 20 pants and I have always been a size 8 or 10 up until about a yr & a half ago. Observant little person huh?

I have a very heightened sense of hearing, I can hear thing no one else does, I keep asking my hubby & son if the referigerator is squealing. Not to them.

Jaci
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

but I honestly don't thing there is such as thing as a "strange" symptom to any of us, we have either heard it all or experienced it all, as my son said tonight "this sure is a weird problem you have, it is like your whole body is changing", makes me wonder if he has maybe noticed the fact that I am in size 20 pants and I have always been a size 8 or 10 up until about a yr & a half ago. Observant little person huh?

I have a very heightened sense of hearing, I can hear thing no one else does, I keep asking my hubby & son if the referigerator is squealing. Not to them.

Jaci
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I sometimes have that happen to me. I smell things more acutely. But I have more trouble with noise. If I'm in a restaurant, and there's a big party at another table, someone's voice will appear louder to me than everyone else's, and annoy the heck out of me! Last weekend we were in a restaurant and some guy was diddling around with his cell phone. It kept making these horrible high-pitched sounds, and I had to walk out of the room until he turned it off. I carry ear-plugs with me wherever I go. It's been happening for quite a few years, and at first I didn't understand it. Now I know it's part of FMS. Isn't this fun????

Annette2
  7. diggity

diggity New Member

I have the noise problem as well, but this scent thing is more of a problem for me right now. The noise just gets on my nerves and makes me jumpy, this scent is making me ill.
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Yes, I have those boughts with strange odors that no one else can smell and they have no known origin. Like everyone else I also have a very acute sense of smell.
    Have you recently started taking any new meds? What about any new dental work? Sometimes those are the culprits! I have one med that I take for high bp that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, almost a sterile hospital type thing.
    Hope this helps!
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  9. G

G New Member

When I tell my doctor new symptoms, he sometimes looks at me as if I had 2 heads. I reinforce it and he shakes his head and says, there's so much that we don't know or understand about fibromyalgia, it's an difficult illness to treat - and tries to give me an uplifting smile - but I tell him that's true and we can hope for an cure.

I have the most sensitive nose and smell even an small amount of anything that has an smell to it - perfumes, gas, oil, smell on dollar bills is awful, most books I can't even read one anymore for now I not only smell it, I also taste it, cleaners and some others are the worst for me - I get so ill from them! Wood is an no no for me and has to be removed - not so bad with old, old wood - but still have to be careful!

I am also highly sensitive to the light and have been for many, many years, my blinds are almost always closed unless it's darker outside. This way I find that the light don't give me blinding headaches or dizziness.

Noise, wish sometimes the I had an hearing problem - especially the rap and hip hop music - just give me pounding headaches. There are times when even the tv, stereo and any other soucre of noise has to be turned off.

So, I say no it isn't strange for any of these symptoms and it's even worse when we get so ill we end up in bed due to them.

G

10. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I can't stand the smell of greasy food's, and there are two fast food restruants by me, one at each end of the street.
    I can smell their food depending on the direction of the breeze. Late at night too, I have to close the sliding galss door early in the evening or it floats here.

I can still use perfume, but I don't layer it on like I use to because I never know if someone else may have a problem with it.

I can still use most cleaners altho powder soap makes me sneeze my head off which hurts the disc's in my neck and I can end up with a doozy of a headache.

I can't stand ciggeretts, the hubby smokes, but not when he's with me, but the odor on his clothes knocks me over.

I have the combo of FMS/MPS and it's amazing at the weird little things that we can have that others don't.

I use to live in the country, and sometimes there will be a dead skunk on the road, I always carry Fabree with me, I spray it on the overhead in the backseat, I would rather smell that than have the smell of Dead Skunk for hours.
    Talk about something geting upyour nose, ugh!!!!!

Nice to meet you, sorry it's because of these Syndromes,
    hope you have a painfree day,

Sincerely,
    kredca4/sharon
  11. Thella

Thella New Member

I think we all have heightened senses and the nose is a real good example.
    Sour milk smell lasts for days.
    To get rid of them I have heard that if you boil ginger root it will cover any smell you might want to get rid of. A friend of mine has one of those coffee cups you plug into the ashtray in the car and keeps this warming so she doesn't get the smells from the other cars.
    It works really well for her. No "Dead Skunk in the middle of the Road" smell for her.
    Thella
  12. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I have an acute sense of smell myself. Particular smells seem to get "trapped" in my nose and stay there for a long time. Very often when I smell something, I can also taste it and some of those things I've never actually tasted before!!

I'm also sensitive to sound and light.

I think I have a strong 6th sense too.

-Shoobie
  13. LindaH

LindaH New Member

I have always been light sensitive now it is worse. Excellent hearing, my kids always said I could hear anything. They never could seem to surprise me. Now I can't stand the tv hardly ever. It makes me go crazy. Well I may already be just a little bit crazy.lol Now things I have always like can make me sick if I smell them. Can' eat if I can't tolerate the smell. So I guess I'm like a lot with the hightened sensory thing. Overload maybe. Glad it' not just me but sorry for everyone else. Linda
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And read the article on Klonopin by Dr. Paul Cheney. It explains about our brains being in a slight constant state of seizure which causes sensory overload. Many of us are sensitive to noise and light. I am also sensitive to smells and touch.

Love, Mikie
  15. fibolady

fibolady New Member

on smell and hearing that are most bothersome. my daughter just calls me really weird!!! it is bothersome because everything bothers me! i have started taking klonopin for anxiety and this has helped with the sensory overload.

i love quiet now and the room a little darker. going to restaurants is hard but i have learned to step up and ask for another table if they put us in a noisy place (always) under a bright flourscent light, etc. it makes all the difference between an enjoyable evening (when i do get out) and just wanting to go back home and never leave again!

i hate fireplaces now because i can always smell the musty smell especially when it rains but, no one else can. my husband continues to smoke upstairs with the door shut and the window open, smoke eater going, ha, i can smell it at the other end of the house.

we should think of these as super powers!
    warm regards, fibolady

16. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

First, I do occasionally find my senses heightened to the point of making me sick! The light, just normal room light, makes my eyes water and feels like it is tooooo bright. My hearing at times is turned up to the point of being really bothersome and nerve racking! My sense of smell seems to be tuned in to the most disgusting of things. At works I thought I kept smelling a dead mouse (gross I know, but we had a few mice running about and put out some traps) and I kept smelling this rancid odor. I asked the girls I worked with and they could not smell it. A couple of days passed and it would get worse and worse to me. I checked the traps and there was a dead one. But it did not seems to bother anyone but me. They could not smell it. It got the the point (even after I disposed of the carcas) that I would gag when I walked in. For a week that smell was "burned" into my brain. Also my sense of touch or feel is heightened and not to the good. My skin will actually ache from the slightest of touch.
    And now to MEL. I just joined this group a few days ago. I felt very comfortable as I received many a warm welcome and it has helped just spilling my guts to people who know how I feel. Then as I am reading different postings, I come across yours about Christopher Reeves who I think is great and I know in my heart he WILL walk again. But as I read on down your post, I start to feel guilty as if I caused my disease. I start to have the same feelings of anguish and dread as I do when I have to talk to people who do not understand what I go thru. And I felt not welcomed in this group when I read your post. I am sorry I have offended you...No, No I am not. I apologize every Freakin' day to someone about something. I carry around feelings of guilt, of shame because I am unable to physically do something. Well Congratulations on reaching the mind over body experience, I have not reached it. Maybe in time I will but I am not there yet. How dare you fuss at me (or anyone) who is struggling to find theirselves thru the ups and downs of this disease and life with it. I am a sympathetic person and think I will be of value to someone if no one other than myself thru this group. But I DO NOT NEED SOMEONE MAKING ME FEEL LESS IMPORTANT OR MAKING ME FEEL STUPID FOR FEELING DOWN. Everyday, I get up and go and push myself to the limit. Everyday I swallow back tears of pain to groom those 10 dogs, everyday I pray to Jesus Christ that I will find the strenghth and have the courage to make it and everyday I trudge on. And everynite, I come home and lick my wounds quietly as not to offend people like you who get sick of hearing it. I thought I had found a place to vent, a place to comapre problems and find strenghth in myself and in others who share this with me and to simply wallow in it if I need to. Or to share my triumphs with. Maybe I didn't, after reading your post.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Cindi, I cut the Klonopin in quarters and carry them with me. If the restaurant gets a little noisy or if I'm going where I know there will be children or other distractions, I slip one of the quartered tablets under my tongue and let it dissolve. Works wonders. It's not enough to make you sleepy, but it dulls the grating on the nerves when sensory overload raises its ugly head. We're supposed to take it during the day, but taking one tablet all at once puts me to sleep.

Dear Poodlegirl, you're just not used to Mel yet. He has been a champion for getting us off our asses and not giving up. Unfortunately, he forgets from time to time that not everyone is in the same situation as he. To let you in on a little secret, Mel has come here to vent himself from time to time. He just forgets. We love him anyway ;) Don't ever feel you need to apologize for having your illness or for feeling poorly. We understand.

Love, Mikie