I work full time and applying for Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cinnveet, Feb 24, 2006.

1. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Hi, I am new here, and need some advise. I have been seeing a Pain Mgt Dr. who has been giving me spinal injections. During this time I filled out paperwork for FMLA, this allows me to take time off from work with no pay, and keeps my job secure so i can get the injections, and make my Dr. appts. I will have my final injection in 2 wks. My FMLA expires May 1st. My question is, when i go to renew my FMLA for conditions of FM, just to use for the days I am in so my pain I cant work, will they reject my FMLA application? I cant afford to loose my job, and if I dont get approve I will use up all of my sick days and be put on warning that will say if I continue to take anymore sick days they will have to let me go. If I loose my job I will loose my medical benifits. It is too hard to work full time without taking more than 3 sick days a year. I know my Dr. will sign my FMLA papers but I heard from a co-worker that they were rejected because they have FM as well and was left go last year. Can anyone give me adivse on this? I am home from work today as the pains were to much for me to get out of bed. Thanks and God Bless! Cindy
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

You will need to apply for FMLA for use on an intermittant basis. Which means you have this disease, but you will only need to be out whenever you are too sick to make it to work.

You are still allowed 12 weeks of unpaid time, but you can use the time whenever it's needed, instead of in a straight block.

That's what I have at this time. It's a good thing I have it or I would be sunk.

Kendra
  3. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Thank you very much for your response. I hope that it works, Because the lady in human resorces is very strick, do you think I should include some data that explains what FM is?
    Thanks again
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

No, just have your doctor fill out the required form and tell him that you need it on an intermittant basis.

File the forms with the HR and then if they need additional information, then they can ask you to give them permission to call your doctor.

If your doctor filled it out before, it shouldn't be an issue.

HR is strict on the necessary documents, but remember, FMLA is the law. So ,if you provide medical justification for this as required, then you have done your part.

Just hang in there. I know it can be very worrisome. I was nervous about mine, then I remembered that it is the law. They can't just arbritarily deny you. If you have medical basis, then you are legitimate in your illness.

Just to let you know, I had a lawyer advise me to get under the FMLA so I wouldn't lose my job.

Kendra
  5. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

It gets tricky with FM because there is no proof of this illness. The factory I worked at went through a private company that dealt with all kinds of leaves of absence.
    They would not approve Fibromyalgia due to no test results showing proof of having it. I hope your company isn't the same way. You should probably talk to someone in HR and see what they say.
    I wish you the best.
    cindy
  6. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I am sorry they denied you. That is so not fair. I better make sure when the Dr. fills out the form he makes it clear as to the reasons that when I have a flare I will not be able to make it in. Its not like I am asking for weeks at a time. There are co-workers that have been with the company for years and have built up so much vacation time, i wouldnt even come close to taking off as much time as them. I dont know. Sometimes i get so frustrated I feel like giving up. But I wont, but i sure wish all up us here could be able to have a vacation from all or our problems, wouldnt that me nice.
    Cindy
  7. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

I am so happy that a supervisor of mine told me about it a few years ago, or I probably wouldn't have known. It has been a lifesaver. I was off for 6 weeks last fall due to problems with endometriosis. My doctor recommended I take 12 weeks off to build up my immune system. (I wasn't diagnosed with fibro until after my leave) Unfortunately, that wasn't enough for me to get approved, so I ended up going back to work early. I applied for the intermittant leave right after and was approved right away.

I don't know if this is across the board, but my company required my doctor to give a speciic number of days I would need each month. Which is impossible to know, so I had her make it on the high side, just in case. I think I'm approved for 2 days off a week or something like that. I get 6 days of personal time, & 4 weeks vacation every year, but we get reprimanded if we use vacation days without giving a 3 day notice. With this intermittant leave, I'm protected from that.

I highly recommend looking into it. The only downside is that I'm not sure how it looks to prospective bosses. I work for a large company, and have never been able to move to a different department. I can't say for sure that me being on leave is the reason, but sometimes I wonder. Ok I've rambled long enough, good luck to you!!!
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

If a board certified Rheumatologist says you have FM and it's a diagnosible illness, then you have FM.

You should fight for the FMLA. There may not be blood tests, but the symptoms and the trigger point tests show evidence of the disease.

Good Luck,
    Kendra