I would like to get some more suggestions....

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by getridof, Jun 18, 2007.

1. getridof

getridof New Member

My previous post was about "to cast ALL the anxieties to God". I would like to know the actual method how to CAST. Is praying the only way to do so? Sometimes I think I may Do something to fit the word "CAST". Because I still feel those worries after I pray. And I seem to take them all back from God. It's such a complicated spiritual experience....
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

1 Peter 5 - From "Matthew Henry Commentary"

I've broken the commentary up for easier reading. To answer your question, casting our cares is more than prayer; it's actually a living and vibrant faith that is fed by the Word of God. Casting our troubles, anxieties, etc. is a lifelong process because these things change. Don’t feel overwhelmed as God does have control.

1 Peter 5:5-9

Humility preserves peace and order in all Christian churches and societies; pride disturbs them. Where God gives grace to be humble, he will give wisdom, faith, and holiness.

To be humble, and subject to our reconciled God, will bring greater comfort to the soul than the gratification of pride and ambition. But it is to be in due time; not in thy fancied time, but God's own wisely appointed time.

Does he wait, and wilt not thou? What difficulties will not the firm belief of his wisdom, power, and goodness get over! Then be humble under his hand.

Cast all you care; personal cares, family cares, cares for the present, and cares for the future, for yourselves, for others, for the church, on God. These are burdensome, and often very sinful, when they arise from unbelief and distrust, when they torture and distract the mind, unfit us for duties, and hinder our delight in the service of God.

The remedy is, to cast our care upon God, and leave every event to his wise and gracious disposal. Firm belief that the Divine will and counsels are right, calms the spirit of a man.

Truly the godly too often forget this, and fret themselves to no purpose. Refer all to God's disposal.

The golden mines of all spiritual comfort and good are wholly his, and the Spirit itself. Then, will he not furnish what is fit for us, if we humbly attend on him, and lay the care of providing for us, upon his wisdom and love?

The whole design of Satan is to devour and destroy souls. He always is contriving whom he may insnare to eternal ruin.

Our duty plainly is, to be sober; to govern both the outward and the inward man by the rules of temperance. To be vigilant; suspicious of constant danger from this spiritual enemy, watchful and diligent to prevent his designs.

Be stedfast, or solid, by faith. A man cannot fight upon a quagmire, there is no standing without firm ground to tread upon; this faith alone furnishes. It lifts the soul to the firm advanced ground of the promises, and fixes it there.

The consideration of what others suffer, is proper to encourage us to bear our share in any affliction; and in whatever form Satan assaults us, or by whatever means, we may know that our brethren experience the same."
  3. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I just read both your post on casting our cares.

The reply from jaltair is one that helped me - really like Mathew Henry and reading Oswald Chambers, he tells it like it is and does not sugar coat anything!. First, you have to beleive God not just "in" Him but believe Him!

God says to seek and you shall find. Ask God to build your Faith in Him, I learned this one the hard way!- be sure and ask Him to make the lesson gentle ones!
    I first prayed that I would receive wisdom, that my Faith would grow and I would be on fire for the Lord! and studied everything I could on getting closer to God, Jesus' Word's on not worrying - it is a sin - but easier said than done!

Then slowly it all came together. Some people will literally write down their worries and bury them, and in one of the churches my brother went to they had a wooden cross that people wrote down their worries and really nailed them to that cross.

Besides, He does know already the outcome so why worry? believe He knows what is best for you no matter what, build and nuture the Trust and Faith in Him, everything else will follow. Don't waste too much of today on tomorrow.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2007]
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I guess that I have a slightly different slant. I believe that God expects you to continue trying your best and not just cast it upon Him.

He is there to listen and comfort. I can't help but think of all the people who fervently pray for something and don't get their prayers answered. I think God wants us to talk to Him and seek advice, but He still expects us to carry on and not just cast the entire mess at Him to resolve.

Think of all the people in the world who pray to have cancer go into remission. Just because your prayer isn't answered---doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you, or you are unworthy of His grace. I guess you continue to do your best and hope that God will help guide you.

Maybe it is in talking to God that you reduce your stress level. I don't have an answer. I just know that there are very good people who fervently pray---and nothing seems to be happening.
  5. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I agree. Unanswered prayer is God's domain not ours. I was talking about when there is something in our lives that can cause worry. Christ tells us not to.

And talking to God most certainly helps. I had a situation that I was trying my hardest to justify being a total jerk to someone and His Holy Spirit kept putting a huge check on my actions, I finally said to Him I'm going to be okay and the grandkids, right! and "Yes" was His answer. I took some steps to protect us but the worry went out the window and up.

What I'm saying is we are not too worry. I've been through a lot like all of us and honestly do not worry about the outcome of anything God has handed me. But, I don't just sit here and say Okay, Lord it's yours now fix it.

It's the worry I don't and will not deal with, I really beleive the devil will use it to take our peace away. God said to give that - the cares of this world - to Him and I do.
  6. getridof

getridof New Member

Thank you for all the ideas. I like this kind of discussion. It really helps. The only ways for me to understand and learn about God are just by prayers and reading Bible. Everything I learnt seems very insufficient or I may get on the wrong track to interpret. I have no one to talk to, I didn't go to church (due to some reasons), in fact my father was a reverend before his retirement, my mother, brother, sister-in-law are all Christians. But we never talked about this religious thing. Only once my sister-in-law asked me why I still haven't got baptized. So I really appreciate this Worship Board, it provides a platform for weirdly silent people like me to ask and express and to be educated.

Good to hear from you again, Joyfully. Hope your recovery go well.[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2007]
  7. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I don't belong to any church either. Seems the ones in my town have all gone New Age or are so far out it's a bit unsettling. There is a few I haven't tried yet, though. Keep praying to our Lord and He will guide you, He sure has me. I think the only way we can learn is by prayer and reading the Bible- asking God to guide us. The one Bible I like for study is Thompson Chain Referance, it just gives cross referance in the Bible to most verses and you can get the idea then. I also found the Holy Spirit will only give us or me anyway, the knowledge as He sees we are ready for it. And, boy, that can be frustrating!! I want it right now! LOL

I found that with any reading I do if it doesn't lead me right to the Bible then I get rid of it, I'm afraid of false teachings and we're not suppose to take mans interpretation for the Bible anyway. So, there are only a few books I do read and those are written in the early 1900's before this new age garbage started.

God's Peace

Sarah
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2007]
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Miss Autumn. Your point is well taken. I was diagnosed with cancer a very short while ago. I am trying to take it just one day at a time. For awhile, I had to take it in 5 minute intervals.

When I had to get some very scary invasive tests done, I asked God to allow my deceased Grandparents to be there with me. It did make a difference. I'm trying my best to not get overwhelmed. I get radioactive iodine and a full body scan later this month. This is followed by a huge dose of radioactive iodine a couple weeks later.

I think it would be very difficult to go through all of this without God. I take my son's little doggie around the block around midnight each night. While I'm buzzing along on my electric mobility scooter, I look up and talk to God. It is quiet, the stars are shining, and I feel at peace. I feel a connection, I know He is listening.
  9. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Your last paragraph gave me chills! God does hear us He told me. I really heard His outside voice when I doubted that.

Sorry getridof, I hope this isn't taking away from what you want to know.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. He is the only one that can truly be with us and this journey he has us on.

I know there are days that we can only take it a minute at a time but soon it will be whole days without the feeling of being overwhelmed and scared. I've had days where the only thing I could say was "SHUT UP!!!" to the thoughts LoL- seems to help, though.

My prayers go up for you and your recovery.

Sarah
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi, getridof.

I think the passage is deliberately using a verb with such a variety of possibilities.

Some people may write down the anxieties---and then ceremoniously burn them.

Others may quietly meditate and talk to God.

Somebody else may have one of those epiphany-moments where it just "dawns" on you that no matter how much you worry---it ain't gonna' make a hill of beans difference. You accept that fact and ask God to help you through the quicksand.

For some reason, I envision a fisherman throwning (casting) a net upon the waters. I don't like that image because the fisherman then draws the "catch" back to his boat. I don't want to draw the problems back to the boat-----I want them to go away.

So I have to change my imaging. I'll set a little sail boat off into the sunset with my problems aboard. Then, I'll set on the sand and watch the wind gently carry the sailboat away---taking my problems with it.
  11. getridof

getridof New Member

I love the situation you mentioned about you watched the night sky with shining stars. I tried once yesterday. Unfortunately, I can only see the cloudy night, no stars, very hot due to the weather, or maybe the air pollution. Or maybe the anxieties cover my mind/eyes. I just felt I'm gonna be eliminated, I was just alone in the dark.....

It's a very nice and calm picture about the sail boat. In fact I'm going to the beach tommorrow and I'll try to bring out this picture again in my mind.
  12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

The reason I can see the stars so clearly is due to the street light not presently working down at the corner. Otherwise, there is too much artificial light to really see the stars.

It takes about an hour for my son's minature schnauzer to walk around the block. It is more SMELL around the block as she sniffs every blade of grass, lamp post, street sign, fire hydrant, bush, etc.

My eyes acclimate to the darkness. I can always count on a gentle breeze from the east late at night. The darkness envelopes me and the breeze washes over me. It is a very special time. There is something about nature that puts things in perspective.