I would like to know about Holistic Medicine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LauraLea, Feb 12, 2003.

1. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Is anyone undergoing treatment with a holistic professional?
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Lauralea,
    I was diagnosed with CFS about 2 1/2 years ago and have tried many types of healing arts: acupuncture, massage therapy, Jin Shin, naturopathy, chiropractic, homeopathy, and yoga. Each one has had something to offer me, but some have helped me more than others. I think that CFS is different for different people, and that there's not a one and only fix for all people.

What has helped me the most has been the homeopathy and yoga. Be aware that if you try homeopathy there are different types of practitioners. When I was frustrated and had reached a plateau with naturopathy, the homeopathy advanced my healing level. I continue with the naturopathic treatment, too.

Overall, in 2 1/2 years, I've had improvement, but am not yet where I want and hope to be.

The yoga has helped me stay sane. Also, because of the lack of activity due to fatigue I needed something gentle to take care of myself, and also to prevent osteoporosis (but that's another story).

What is it that you want to know about holistic health care? Is there something specific, or just in general?

Try finding some reputable professionals in your area. Don't give up.

Best wishes,
    hopeful4
  3. healing

healing New Member

Yes, I do. My doc uses homeopathic and herbal remedies to help bolster my immune system (I have FMS and arthritis) and to help control my pain. I take a lot of supplements.

I also receive acupuncture and myofascial release treatments.

My doc has been working with my food sensitivities, and since being on an elimination diet (following an IgG Assay), I have been MUCH less achy.

My docs encourage prayer and meditation, and I try to go away for retreats and quiet time every few months.

I am trying hard to stay away from heavy duty meds because I just feel sicker on them, so I have decided to go this route. All I take is Neurontin and, soon, will go another long course of antibiotics.

This regimen has really helped me. I'm located in the Wash. DC area if you want a good doc's name.
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have been interested, but the only one I went to didn't help me very much..It may be that I need to have the antibiotic therapy+heparin FIRST, but I didn't really know how to pick one... AMELIA
  5. healing

healing New Member

Homeopathics and herbal remedies don't work overnight, so you have to commit to feeling bad for a while. I did have a tremendous response to one thing my guy gave me, but mostly it's been very subtle, not like with drug therapy.

I stick with it because I feel healthier, more engaged with the world, cleaner and more in tune with my body.

I do try to listen to my body and pay attention to what it's telling me.