I wrote a letter about FMS to my local paper LOOK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Sep 1, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi everyone,

If you saw my post last week regarding the man from Maine who won a huge award from a workers comp case due to FMS, this is the letter I wrote to draw some more attention...

It is not as 'polished' as I would like nor as lengthy...I had written it WELL while not so fogged but soon after received an email saying to cut some to abide by the rules.

This link will bring you directly to my letter...I hope

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/letters/3070640.shtml

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  2. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

Mamadove!

I speak at various forums and also talk about the impact that these DD's have on my life resulting in being homeless for six months.

House of Representatives members and congressional aids have also been in attendance when the Congressmen couldn't attend.

Read my post about Congressman Dennis Kucinich's office calling me.

Spread awareness where ever you can. People in power to help us are listening and reading.

Here's a powerful quote that my associates at The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless always end their e-mails with. I've decided to use it also.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Ghandi

Keep up your efforts.

Cindy

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Very nice, Alicia. Just what one of my professors used to demand: clear, concise, cogent.
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

for the nice comments...

Rockgor, always love to hear from you!!!

That quote from Gandhi (duh, foggy now) is what I believe we should all be doing with our lives...

All of you who get the word out are all helping us find not only the cause, but eventually the cure...

Many of the people in my town emailed me today to say that they were priveleged to know me...Just from the letter I wrote...I really thought it was a tad lame considering the fog, it really could have been quite more detailed and stressed more of how we suffer, but then again, we can't explain to our family and friends and sometimes we think ourselves a bit "whacked" (I know I do)...I just ahd to add my 2 cents when I read the initial article...

I hope it helps...
  5. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

Very very nice...Thank You so much!

You are the change in the world!

Tami
  6. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

You did a good job speaking for all of us with this horrific disease. Thank you.
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Excellent!

Good job, thank you.

June
  8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

termination...

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/statewide.aspx?articleid=139216&zoneid=500

It's about time someone wins a case. Doesn't surprise me that it's a man as they often did not take women's illnesses seriously. This is good news for sure though! All those who have been fired for their disability now can have some action taken against employeers.

Thanks for sharing this. I posted another website that explains more.
  9. birdkeeper

birdkeeper New Member

Its very comforting to know that we are also protected.

Nice job
  10. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

Thank you for taking the time to write. We all have been mistreated, belittled and looked at like we are hypocondriacs...I hate to think of others having to be subjected to what I have. I attempted to end my life in Jan 06 because the people I love the most in the world and the doctors it seemed all doubted my symptoms and could not understand the numerous problems I had. I loved one person (my son) and my dogs too much to go to sleep that day...I went to the hospital instead. My mind is in a better place now - I accept that it is their problem, not mine...

Thanks Again

Jane
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
  11. marw

marw New Member

Thank you, Alicia, for this wonderful letter. I do indeed feel "invisible" as Lu just said, and this helps a lot to make my problems and all of us with FMS to know it is NOT just "in our head."

many thanks,
    margaret
  12. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

From the board and from people as far away as Australia (your land Wendy,Wamps)...

Thank you fight for supplying the link to the original article, appreciate it much!

Here's another link to the original article and below that comments from online readers...I hate to give morons a stage, but if you read the comments you will find a gal named Lise from Portland, Me commenting on her views on Fibro...Dim-witted and self-absorbed as are our usual non-sufferers...I didn't comment back, it wouldn't have been pretty, but some had some words for her...It makes for an entertaining read...

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/3056384.shtml

I am expecting to go to my SS hearing this month, I will give my lawyer print outs of these articles to reference if he needs...It seems the more we scream, the more we're heard

As always,peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  13. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Jane,

I read your post and don't know how to respond in words but I'll try...

When I went to my psych last year he questioned me about ending it all...I knew if I told him the truth I would surely be commited so I found the words to get across to him without much detail why I choose to stay...
    My husband has epilepsy and my boys (labs) need their mother, however inadequate I am, I adore them and live for them...I understand how you felt...

I swear it is the most unselfish and loving individuals that get these dd's...I hate to pat myself on the back with such a description, but I am PROUD of who I am...And maybe, just maybe, my having this dreadful condition WILL benefit someone else someday...For now, I am still here to love and care for my family and they are grateful as I know your son and furry ones are...There is no better love than Mama's Love, that's where my name came from, MAMADOVE...I still go by it in memory of my 'son' Moose (profile)...

Life is good, but when there is so much love in it, you just have to stay here to savor it...Be thankful for what you do have...Many search for it all their lives, but we have it...Love conquers all!!!

Peaceful days ahead ~ Alicia

14. libra55

libra55 New Member

So beautifully written, and so succinct and to the point. I couldn't have said it better myself.

The comments were mostly supportive. Except for Lise, who is obviously a "company woman". Her coldness and ignorance really came through in her response to the article. In this day and age, there are still some people that don't get it. She obviously has never been sick a day in her life. She shouldn't be so quick to judge others; her luck may not hold out.

Thanks for writing that letter!

Michelle
  15. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Alicia, I went through Google to find your letter...got the following three times:

Your search - http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/3056384.shtml - did not match any documents.

RATS! I so wanted to read what you said and the responses.

Thank you for trying, though.
    Lea.
  16. pamj

pamj New Member

Alicia,

Thanks so much for writing your very touching letter. You are right in knowing that the follow-up is important to keep drawing more attention.

I've been doing the same thing in my community, and so many people who have been suffering have been coming forward.

Don't sell yourself short in your writing skills. It was to the point, and from the heart... which is always the best way to reach people. I have trouble finding the words myself, which is why I've been calling upon my local media to help me. Luckily I've been finding very supportive writers.

I love the Ghandi quote too... You must be the change you wish to see in the world. (my niece just put it on a shirt!)

Hugs,
    Pam
  17. day2day

day2day Member

Great Article, you said what I could not begin to find the words to say.

I say the heck with those with such a closed mind and heart. Ignorance is bliss and I think Lise would qualify for the top of that list.

I wanted to also let you know I am in Maine, Portland area.

It is funny I saw this post for your (our) cause tonight. I also am fighting for a cause on behalf of my son's severe food allergies and low and behold, the Portland newspaper just ran an article on me and my son today.

If I ever get that off the ground and it goes well, my next move will be to start a local support group for cfs/fibro, we have nothing in my area, can you believe it?

Sorry for rambling on here, but I want you to know you should be proud of the good job you did.

18. sues1

sues1 New Member

Well written.......thanks from all of us.

Many Blessings and gentle hugs.........Susan
  19. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Thank You for posting this.

I read all of LISA's comments.Makes me mad that there are still so many uneducated people out there.Lisa needs to rethink what she said.

I worked from 1969 to 2003 .The last 8 yrs I worked I never missed a day and worked 50 to 60 hours a week.I can not believe she put down people who are ill that are on SSDI and welfare.

I would tell people like that .That I have paid all these years into this system I am Ill and I will fight for what is mine.

This has helped me so much.I am in the middle of a suit also.

I have printed up the article and all of the comments for my Law Firm.I am sure that some of it might help my case.

Thank You Alicia .

Hugs >>>FOR EVERY DAY A NEW DAWN WILL COME>>>>Sue
  20. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I awake to all these replies to my letter to the editor...

I am so happy that you all thought this much to write...Even through the fog, I guess my letter was good enough to get the point across and if you all think it was good enough, I am satisfied...Being a perfectionist, I wanted it a certain way, but edited down its not so bad either...Thank you for the reassurance...

I know some couldn't view the article, it was removed from the link as of Monday, I guess, I searched for it and was surprised it was gone...I assume they just can't store all the reader's views letters as well as their regular publication...

Okay, I am going for now, some errands to do...Should I scan the article and put in my profile? Let's see if I can figure this out, tehe...

Thank you all wonderufl people for making me smile today AND everyday!!! You are just what I need to keep me positive minded...

Love to all~Alicia