I'am new to the board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ruthles, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Ruthles

Ruthles New Member

I'am new to writing to the message board. I have never writen to anything like this before. So it does seem strange to me. I have been dx with fm one year ago, but a Dr. I went to five years ago thought I had fm. I can relate to all of the pain everyone has talked about. My best help has been crying and praying since I am sensitive to about all medications. Hot baths with epsom salts helps some. I have had these symptoms all my life, not knowing what it was I thought it was just a way of life to hurt all the time. The last five years have been horrible. If not for my faith I don't know how I could have made it. My husband has been very supported and tries to help all he can. He is now getting these same symptoms especially the buring of the muscles and joint pain also the stomach pain. The burning of the stomach all the way up to the mouth is the hardest to handle. Also the headaches. I have been reading the message board for sometime now and it has given me encouragement to know I am not alone and not imaging all this pain. Thank you for being there and caring so much about others in so much pain. ruthles
  2. Ruthles

Ruthles New Member

I'am new to writing to the message board. I have never writen to anything like this before. So it does seem strange to me. I have been dx with fm one year ago, but a Dr. I went to five years ago thought I had fm. I can relate to all of the pain everyone has talked about. My best help has been crying and praying since I am sensitive to about all medications. Hot baths with epsom salts helps some. I have had these symptoms all my life, not knowing what it was I thought it was just a way of life to hurt all the time. The last five years have been horrible. If not for my faith I don't know how I could have made it. My husband has been very supported and tries to help all he can. He is now getting these same symptoms especially the buring of the muscles and joint pain also the stomach pain. The burning of the stomach all the way up to the mouth is the hardest to handle. Also the headaches. I have been reading the message board for sometime now and it has given me encouragement to know I am not alone and not imaging all this pain. Thank you for being there and caring so much about others in so much pain. ruthles
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...I'm like you, very sensitive to medications & their side effects, I currently take nothing regular in the way of meds. I always like to read about what others do & take, though, both prescription & natural, to relieve their symptoms. So much is unknown about this disease! And I know we are all different, yet we share a lot of similarities, too. I've gotten a lot of great help & advice from this board, it's been great. Sounds like you have a supportive husband; I do, too, & that can make a lot of difference. Good luck to you & hope you find ways to feel better!

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. debrastets

debrastets New Member

Welcome! I am so sorry you are in pain! I realy understand what you are going threw! This board helps me so much too! Gald your here!
  5. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Dear Ruthles,
    First of all I love your nickname. How did you come up
    with that?
    Anyway, I'm glad you finally posted,as I see that in
    your bio, you joined us a week ago.

You can be sure there will always be someone here to
    listen if you want to vent, or if you have a question.

I'm sorry to be so long in welcoming you, my daughter
    had her tonsiles out; she's 14, and I've been playing
    nursemaid to her. Had to take her to the ER last night
    for dehydration, because she's having a hard time swallowing.

Otherwise I would have been here to welcome you sooner.

When you need a laugh or two, go to the Chit/Chat room,
    there's always some laughs to be had.

Well, I guess I'm long winded today.

Again, don't be a stranger. And let me know about that
    nickname.

Warm Wishes and Warm Fibo-Hugs

LadyDi
  6. Rich

Rich New Member

Hi Ruth, I am also new, as of today. I am a caregiver and my wife has FM and has had it for about 4 years. She has been on 'industrial strength' pain-killers and they have recently gotten to her. She had to go into the hospital (9/23-10/9) for pneumonia and for withdrawal from the narcotic pain-killers. She has been put on Methadone and it is doing only fair for her. She has very little appetite because of the pain, and as of this writing she weighs 82 pounds. She used to consistently weigh 125 when she was healthy. She has many other issues. They are congestive heart failure (probably from the pain she has had to endure over the last 4 or 5 years, Lupus (the non-scarring skin-type called SCLE), anemia, emphysema (from smoking for 40 years), but pain is the main issue here. We believe it started when she had a hip replacement and had to use a walker for several months. She had been on Prednisone (for the Lupus)for several years and we both believe this is the culprit for the pain. We think the Pred. caused something like a muscle myopthy and the stress from the walker did the muscles in. She has had pain in the same area ever since she had to use the walker. It has never quit, never.

That is my story and it is as brief as I could make it. We are at our wits end trying to make it so Noel (that is my wife's name, and we have been married since 1966) can regain some quality of life but we have not been at all successful. I recently got hold of a support group in my area and we are going to try that. I have e-mailed the administrator and have not yet heard back from her. BTW, we live in the St. Louis area and have all our lives.

Rich
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

I am also new to the board, and before joining, I did excactly what you have been doing - reading all the messages and all the helpful hints and infos in them. Also, according to what I have been reading for months, this is a very nice and helpful group of people, and we all are in the same boat with these illnesses.
    Do I ever feel what you are going through and I wish you the strength to continue doing so.
    May be, one day you will be lucky to find a med which will help with one of the symptoms, so that life is just a little easier. I am sure you will, and don't give up, a big hug from Lucky
  8. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

Wow, lotsa newbies lately. Yes, neverending pain is a PAIN! I hate it when it really gets to my head and does a mental number on me. Then I have to REFOCUS and DO something, anything, that is different. Even if it is just something little around the house. I still work, that's really hard, but I'm afraid to quit. Sort of. The older I get though,(48) the harder it is to keep working. I've been passed over three times now for promotions and I know it is due to this DD and my boss knowing about it.

Rich, bless your heart for taking such good care of your wife. Sounds like she has sure had a rough go of it. I've known a couple people with lupus and it is no picnic either.

Well, just wanted to welcome you all. I don't get to post too often as I can't sit and use the computer very long at a time without pain. I just cope the best I can and try to keep going. It's not easy as we ALL very well know!! Especially since most of us look so darn healthy. Sometimes I wish I looked as awful as I feel, but then, that could be pretty scary for other people, LOL. (Maybe I DO look that scary but just don't know it....hehee) Keep the humor going, too. It helps. Take care, and again, glad to have you folks on board with all of us here. Jo
  9. Rich

Rich New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the kind words. Every time I think it is hard on me I just take a look at Noel and ask myself if I would want to be in her shoes. Not too surprisingly I can then continue. She has been devastated by her last 5 years. Thanks again.

Rich
  10. Ruthles

Ruthles New Member

I really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. I know how low we can get and a kind word can lift the spirits. Ladydi I got the name by putting my first name and my husbands first name together. It does make it easier to remember. Rich I know your wife must appreciate your faithfulness in taking care of her. I know how hard it is on my husband when I am in terrible pain and he can't do anything about it. I tell him I know he can't cure this but just being here and listening helps alot. Thank God for good husbands. Les (my husband) and I have been married since 1961 and we lived in Mo. at that time. ruthless
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey and welcome!! As you can see, we tell it like it is and we are all very supportive and loving to one another. I, too, have been on and off large doses of Prednisone for 27 years and it has definitely taken a toll on this bod of mine. Kinda funny, that drug, it saved my life in some ways and has shortened it in many others. The last I took caused a psychosis which made me agitated and very suicidal, so I won't take it again unless I can't stand it any longer! I took such large doses to control pain, rashes, angioedema and respiratory distress that were all life threatening. I hate the med and how it makes me look and feel. I could kill my mother for food when I'm on that drug and I have a really bad attitude then that causes others to avoid me until they know I've stopped taking it!!! When my face is less red and swollen, they start coming closer and they smile and talk to me again!!!!! Jekyll and Hyde stuff! At that time, my faith is tested severely!!!!

Love and prayers to all!
    Kady
  12. selma

selma New Member

*********Just a quick note to say Hi, And Welcome**********

There is a support board. Click on boards at the top of the page. We are Blessed by All those who help us through each day.

Yes, this is a great site to get alot of info.. As you've read, we have to Take Charge of our Lives to have a better quality of life.
    I'm not really on every day myself. We are all fighting the same battles and may have some advice for helping so you don't have to go it alone.

I've felt blessed to be here with a community of Loved & Respected friends.

I hope that tomorrow will be easier and better for you.

Love Light Joy and Better Health,

Selma

13. lucky

lucky New Member

FOR YOUR KIND AND WELCOMING WORDS.
    I really know that there are a lot of nice people on this board, and that was the reason for my joining. To be in touch when one needs to listen to others who have the same problems in their lives, but also how to share and learn on how they deal and cope with their illness in the most positive way.
    Thanks, Lucky
  14. Rich

Rich New Member

***Les (my husband) and I have been married since 1961 and we lived in Mo. at that time.***

We are kind of kindred spirits then, LOL. I live in the St. Louis area and have all my life of almost 61 years.

Sorry about all the edits but I was trying to copy and paste a line above from Ruth and was not being successful with getting it to show. I was using the wrong symbol to represent her sentence.

[This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]