Ian.....I'm having terrible muscle cramps at night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Jul 10, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

along with tachycardia all day long. I've been taking gabapentin for about 3 weeks. I know I've got a faster heart beat than normal but this is ridiculous. A friend suggested I buy an oximeter to check my oxygen level and found out about the bad tachycardia. It can hit l40 BPM but usually is around ll7. Dr. told me to cut gabapentin in half which I'm doing. But I did a search and find that lack of magnesium will bring on both of these. I've been taking 600 mg. magnesium citrate daily for about 4 days. My question is how long does it take for magnesium to kick in? Should I also be taking calcium and potassium? I'm also starting to take some molasses in milk thinking this might get into be faster.
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

If you dont already take calcium and potassium then it would be a good idea t o complement the magnesium with these. I suggest calcium 600mg and potassium around 200mg to start with. Aslo what is your salt (sodium) intake like. Some people with ME/CFS do lack sodium and it can cause cramps.

Which muscles are cramping?
    Taurine can also help. So can good hydration.
  3. sunflowergirl

my calf muscles and going up the back of one leg but this morning even my big toes were hurting. I take about l/2 tsp. celtic salt several times a day. I read that most people who have adrenal fatigue need the salt. Yes, I read that staying hydrated is very important for muscle cramps and also for the tachycardia. Thanks, I'll start with the calcium and potassium and check about the taurine.

I appreciate your assistance.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

sunflowergirl:
    Now that is a lot of sodium compared to potassium.
    Either reduce your celtic salt or increase your potassium.
    Half a teaspoon is about 2.5grams. Depending on the rest of your diet I suspect you have too much sodium.
    I do think you should reduce your celtic salt and increase your potassium to around 200mg or even 300 mg.
    Celtic salt only has about .1 to .2 % potassium. Whereas it has between 31 to 35% sodium.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Member

Ian's right - it definitely could be lack of potassium causing the cramps and tachycardia. I take 400 mg. of potassium daily and do fine with it.

Mary
  6. sunflowergirl

thanks Ian and Mary. I did buy calcium and potassium last night. Took what Ian recommended. I really pray that this diligence taking magnesium, calcium, potassium, and C will help me. I'm scheduled in about 3 weeks for a holter monitor to check out what my heart is up to. My dad died at 56 from heart attack. I wore a holter monitor twice before about l5 years ago and my problem went away. So maybe with the correct supplements I can stop this problem.
  7. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

For best results when taking minerals, you should split the dose up, i.e. take the same amount at every meal. A magnesium deficiency causes spasms, a calcium deficiency causes cramps. I take 600mg of magnesium for spasms and twitches. I was on 500mg of calcium, but I recently had to increase my calcium to 750mg, because I was getting severe calf and foot cramps, and that increase seems to have helped.

I have been on higher doses of magnesium, but I needed to take calcium carbonate, in order to offset the laxative effect of the magnesium. Your experience may vary, though.
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

You can split the dose, it may help. However I would not advise taking any supplements or minerals at night if you have fibromyalgia. (aside from those specific for sleep improvement). Night dosage has been found to disturb sleep and in FM that is the last thing you want to do because FM is primarily a dysfunction of sleep.