Ian or Rich... Does it matter what type of Magnesium? Is Glycinate O.K,?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Godismystrength, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Ian or Rich,
    I see that you both have recommended magnesium citrate, malate and some others, but not magnesium glycinate. I switched years ago from the citrate because it was giving me chronic diarrhea. A compounding pharmacist at the apothecary in my town suggested the switch to glycinate because it wouldn't cause diahrrea, and I did notice that the diarrhea went away after switching. Is there a reason I should switch to one of the other forms of magnesium? I primarily take the magnesium glycinate before bed to help me sleep. And I do get some magnesium citrate in a supp I take daily that is a combination of calcium, magnesium and zinc. On that supp, it says: Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate). On the glycinate bottle it says: (Magnesium Lysyl Glycinate Chelate, D-Magnesium Malate). Thanks for any insight you can give!

God Bless,
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2012]
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Shelly.

I think that magnesium glycinate is the best absorbed oral form of magnesium, and it is the one I have been recommending for several years. Perhaps you found something I posted many years ago, but I do think you are taking the best form, if it's glycinate.

Best regards,

3. IanH

IanH Active Member

If you can get it I would recommend Magnesium threonate because it has greatest access to the brain. However it is very new. Otherwise glycinate, citrate or taurinate or even malate. I have used the citrate for over five years and found it very suitable but some people can be a bit sensitive and experience loose stools, obviously you are one of those. In practice though not a lot of difference in terms of magnesium utilization between these forms. Do avoid the oxide or the sulphate.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2012]
  4. Thanks so much, Rich and Ian, for clearing that up for me! Ian, why avoid magnesium oxide?
    Just wondering since my calcium, magnesium, zinc combo seems to include magnesium oxide along with other forms of magnesium.... thanks again!

God bless,
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

I am not really saying avoid it. It is poorly absorbed but I do note that it is often added to other forms of magnesium salts.
  6. Thanks again, Ian, for clearing that up. Hopefully the other forms of magnesium that are in the supplement are enough to make up for the magnesium oxide... I hope. Plus, the additional magnesium I take at night in the form of glycinate, should offset it, I think. Thanks again for always being willing to help, Ian! You and Rich are such blessings! Shelly
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Is magnesium aspartate good? I'm thinking I'm going to switch to the glycinate. I started taking the aspartate because of Dr Teitelbaum years ago. Thanks, Sean.
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

This is a hard one. I would not take MgAspartate because aspartate is an excito-neurotransmitter. Like glutamate, aspartate has been shown to be elevated in FM. I don't know about their levels in ME but I suspect they are also elevated. At higher levels these are excitotoxins, i.e. they act pathologically and may cause neural damage. Now, whether MgAspartate pathologically increases aspartate levels in the CNS is debatable. Given what we know I would just avoid. The citrate, glycinate, malate and taurinate are a "safer" choice for pwme.