Ian - question re cancer and acetyl-glutathione

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mbofov, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi Ian - could you point me in the direction of scientific research re the efficacy of acetyl-glutatione in cancer treatment?

My sister-in-law is battling ovarian cancer, she's in pretty bad shape, has run the course of chemo, sugery etc. with not surprising results and is now just on pain meds. They can't do anything else.

Anyways, any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I gave her information a few years ago about IV vitamin C and cancer treatment and a few other things but she wanted to just do what her oncologist told her to do.

Thanks -

Mary
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

our family is dealing with cancer now, my grandkids dad has stage 3 L.C. He had his first chemo last week and my daughter said he did good but a new spot on his brain....

He's not really open to alternative treatments, but they can both work as many MD's claim...so hopefully he'll get more open.

I've been doing a lot of research and since I started on Pycnogenol back in 1995 and were told "it may prevent cancer"....I always go back to that thought.

I found info by an alternative group and the article talks abut: 5 Nutrients Give You An Edge on Cancer....
    and one nutrient mentioned is Pycnogenol...so I sent it
    on to my daughter and hopefully she can get it to him...we'll see.

It sure is a hard road to be on....jam
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

I remember you've written several times about GSE helping to prevent cancer.

I think there's relatively new research about acety-glutathione actually killing cancer cells, Ian writes about it and I found one short article, and I'm hoping he'll have more info. But I don't know if my SIL would be open to any info, she has not been so far.

I just saw on Dr. Mercola that the Texas Board of Medical Examiners has finally dropped its case against Dr. Burzynski who is doing research on treating cancer using peptides. He is having some success, but it's very expensive. My SIL and brother actually looked into it - they could afford it - but decided against it. But hte regular docs have nothing else to offer her, and I worry like heck what all the chemo has done to her body. It's a mess, cancer treatment in America.

Mary
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

so many conventional MD's don't "mix" the two type treatments...I've also been talking to folks on some cancer boards since all this came down with the kids' dad, and they say their docs won't let them do antioxidant nutrients with treatment.....

And then there is Suz Somers and she talked so much about the TX MD and other alternative MD's who treat cancer..
  5. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I noticed you wrote about the peptide treatment. I believe they are called anti-neoplastones. To my knowledge they do not cause terrible side effects and may be worth looking into for your sister in law.

Another option would be Intravenous Alpha Lipoic Acid in combination with Low Dose Naltrexone. I forget the doctors name, but he has been using it in various cancers with success. Which again harbors very little risk.

Hopefully Ian will have some info for the acetylglutathione and cancer.

-Steve
  6. mbofov

mbofov Member

Yes, I agree, Dr. Burzynski's treatment would definitely be worth my SIL looking into, but she won't. She won't do anything unless her oncologist tells her to do it. She and my brother did investigate doing his protocol and she decided against it.

So she won't do IV ALA either with LDN.

IV vitamin C has helped a lot of people. I told her about this a few years ago when she was first diagnosed and she wouldn't do it. Now it may be too late for her to try anything but you never know.

I thouhgt perhaps she might go for the acetyl-glutathione if there was a scholarly article about it, and also if she didn't have to get an IV somewhere.

But it's a long shot. I've sent her a lot of info and she's just not interested. And the regular docs can do nothing else now but pain meds.

Thanks for the ideas, Steve - I appreciate it -

Mary
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

Mary, there is not a lot:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9018082
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11743644

The issue of glutathione depletion as a treatment of cancers is in the following paper. You may be able to access it on the net:

Glutathione in cancer cell death
    Angel L. Ortega, Salvador Mena and Jose M. Estrela,
    Cancers 2011, 3, 1285-1310; doi:10.3390/cancers3011285

I don't know how your SIL thinks but I would try this along with LDN and her chemotherapy becuase neither of these will interfere with her chemotherapy or radiotherapy as many other supplements, such as folates and anti-oxidants do.
  8. mbofov

mbofov Member

I googled "Glutathione in cancer cell death" and found the paper.

My SIL has said she's not interested in any alternative treatments, only I think there's nothing left for in mainstream treatment and I'm hoping she'll open her mind a little. I believe the chemo's finished.

How would LDN help?

Why would folates and antioxidants interfere with chemo and radiation?

I appreciate your knowledge and help -

Mary
  9. IanH

IanH Active Member

Folates and antioxidants have been shown to protect cells from apoptosis. So tumor cells, once established will better protect themselves from apoptosis with the presence of the folate and antioxidants. The theory behind the HDA (high dose ascorbate) in cancer is that at high levels ascorbate is an oxidant and promotes apoptosis. At physiological levels ascorbate is an antioxidant.

LDN is anti-proliferative, ie it helps to reduce tumorigenesis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21685240 (you can also read about this on Science Daily = http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110712143012.htm)

There are many trials using LDN in cancer:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01650350

I have a colleague in Australia who is doing similar studies to the above.

Its a shame she is not interested because these treatments will not worsen the cancer, at very least they may help reduce tumor growth, assuming it is a tumorigenic cancer.
  10. mbofov

mbofov Member

The use of ldn for cancer is new info for me. I assume tumorigenic means originating with a tumor? if so, yes, she has ovarian cancer which has metastasized to her liver and I think a few other places now.

Even though she's stated she doesn't want any info re "alternative" (whatever that means now!) treatments, I may approach her one more time, as she is out of options.

Mary
  11. mbofov

mbofov Member

I am just relooking at your post, I had just overlooked your mention of IV ALA and LDN for cancer treatment, and just googled it and found this link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16484716

and another: http://www.thedcasite.com/dcaforum/DCForumID10/596.html

Thanks so much for posting this! This is new info for me and looks potentially very promising.

Mary