IBS and bowel cancer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlemommy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

For those of you with IBS and other bowel issues I have a question. Has what Im going to explain below happened to you and what was the outcome? I have IBS and a family history of colon cancer. My mother had a large malignant tumour romoved almost 2 years ago.I had a colonoscopy a month ago and the doctor removed a really small polyp and said it was so small that he is not concerned. Well it went for biopsy and that changed everything. I went for my follow up last week and he said the polyp is level 4 which is the highest risk next to cancer. He also said this is highy unusual for a polyp so small. He is doing another colonoscopy in 3 months to scrape any more cells that might have been left behind in that area. He said if he doesnt get every particle out Im at risk of cancer. Any one else had this happen? Any thoughts? What is so unusual about the whole thing is how small the polyp was yet it registered the worst risk possible. The doctor couldnt get over it himself. I would love to hear from anyone else that might have experienced this.
    P.S I was not happy about having another colonoscopy so soon as it was very painful . He gave me good drugs but I was still in alot of pain
    poodlemum
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am so sorry you are going through this! I know well what that word cancer means and how hard it is to hear it, your head just spins. I'm hoping your next colonoscopy comes back OK, but if not, at least you are catching it right now at its pre-cancer stage. Some put off a colonoscopy for years, then find they have full-blown cancer.

And you are in an era, thankfully, when so much more can be done now for colon cancer, especially caught early. I had Leukemia last year and it was some comfort to realize that if I had to get that cancer, at least it's NOW; 30 years ago, I'd have been a dead (wo)man walking. Now there's a little hope for a longer life.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I will say a prayer for you that things go well, and if not, that you are at least on top of the situation at an early, very treatable stage.

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  3. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

thanksPam. Glad your over the hump. I too am a cancer survivor. I had thyroid cancer 4 years ago. I just cant beleive Im going thru this again though. I know the best way to get thru this is to take it one day at a time. Thanks for your kind words Pam .
    Rose
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Dear one, could you "edit" your post, and split it into very short paragraphs? I am very concerned about colon cancer (4 uncles died of it), but can't read long paragraphs.

Thank yu soooo much!

findmind
  5. Cate41

Cate41 New Member

On Friday I, also, am going in for a colonoscopy at 41 due to a lot of abdominal issues....we will see what comes up, but when I would go to the dr., both of them (I have 2 - one male and one female) marked it up to IBS as I don't have any blood in the stool or a family history. Well, after a year, one of them has decided to do the colonoscopy and if that doesn't reveal anything, hopefully the insurance will cover an abdominal ultrasound/ct scan.

I will let you know if they find anything on me as well.