IBS and Fibro - Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have a spastic colon, but it seems like I get a fibro flare when my IBS is out of wack (sometimes D, sometimes formed). My belly across the bellybutton area gets sore after a BM. Sometimes I don't think it is the colon as when I pinch an inch of skin in that area, the skin is tender.

Also, people with IBS, what do you do for the aching. Does anyone take Bentyl? Does it work? Also, is there a specific diet we should be on? My gastro sure does lecture about what things are when I see him, but never really tells me what to do. And when he says "spastic" colon - I know that is a muscular dysfunction, but he never relates it to my fibro.

Any suggestions?
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

What symptoms do you get with IBS? And yes, along with Fibro? What do you do about it?
  3. luigi21

luigi21 Member

If theres soreness near belly button you may have related acid reflux, do you suffer with that, do you belch alot? if you press there do you belch, or feel full of gas? what are your symptoms with ibs, constipation or diahorrea, (can never spell that word). Avoid the sugar deriative Aspartame, which is in most fizzy drinks and chewing gums, sweets etc, not good for ibs.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2012]
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Have you tried going completely gluten free, and also eliminating sugar cane (in any form), sugar substitutes, and high fructose corn syrup?

Have you tried then adding in high quality probiotics with multiple strains and cultures in the BILLIONS, not millions?

5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Yes, I do have acid reflux, but the soreness near the mid-line normally happens when I have a bad BM or if I'm flaring with the costo-chondritis.

I'm taking probiotics - refrigerated kind- one with Lactobacillus rhamnosus & Lacto. reuter and the other one with Lactobacilus rhamnosus and Lacto. acidophilus. Each blend has 5 billion CFU. Do you all recommend a good probiotic that helps? When I ask the doctor I never get brands. The ones I get are from Whole Foods Market.

I haven't gone gluten free - my blood test and endo biopsy have been negative for celiac. My problem is I'm allergic to rice (or sensitive) and most gluten free products all have some form of rice. I'm trying to limit my wheat intake.

The sugar substitute is an issue - I have to take liquid potassium due to hypokalemia (low potassium) and every script has some form of artificial sugar, but I have been taking them for years without side effects.

I believe this flare up is because I tried to go off plain white Italian bread and went for Spelt and Oats - and I believe the abundance of fiber irritated my gut.

I guess I need to do things slowly.

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts!
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I was thinking of a probiotic with 50 billion cultures and 10 strains...something like this:

It is common to have a sensitivity to gluten, but not have celiac. The sensitivity can still cause lots of symptoms.
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there -
    If you only knew the battle I've had for the last almost 3 months w/constant IBS (diarrhea) unbelievable stomach pain/bloating etc.
    I did get to spend some good time with a gastroenterologist who did a lot of explaining about IBS to me. I've had "it" (spastic colon) for 23+ yrs but no one explained so much to me.

Because we have Fibro as well, and our brain/guts are so connected we feel everything or are aware of everything that is going on in our colons (intestines), most people do not, nor do they need to. The wiring is screwed up between the two just like it is with the rest of our bodies and our pain signals.
    Thankfully IBS doesn't cause damage and is only a functional problem. That doesn't help us when we're suffering so much though.

I went through a colonoscopy because it was debilitating for me. CT scan at hospital showed inflammation but during scope that was gone, so IBS is the official diagnosis. I did have a fairly good sized polyp removed. (benign but aggressive). Funny - I felt better after procedure. Doc said sometimes just the prep gets things moving.

I am highly allergic to aspirin, however I had read that Pepto Bismol helps. So I took some of that. Didn't know you shouldn't w/allergy. I did not have a reaction and it did help somewhat! Surprisingly! Nothing else worked - no probiotics, no anti-diarrheals, no diet changes etc.

I asked dr. about diet as well. He said he doesn't have two patients who are the same. Really trial and error. Unfortunately!
    Good Luck - I can really empathize. I went through hell.