IBS and Marginal Zone Lymphoma

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kbak, Nov 10, 2006.

1. kbak

kbak Member

Hi All,
    I've just had a crash course on Marginal Zone Lymphoma. My mother was just Dx'd with this lymphoma, stage 4. The thing I want to bring to people is that they told us that IBS is directly connected to this type of Lymphoma.

They have also found that H. Pylori ( the bacteria that is found in ulcers) is also connected with this type of lymphoma. It dosen't mean if you have IBS you'll get this cancer, but it certainly increases you risk.

It was a big wake up call for me. For many yrs. I had terrible trouble with IBS till I got smart and completely revamted my diet.

I've been taking a probiotic almost daily for quite a while, but I certainly wasn't getting a very expensive one because of the cost. I'm thinking I might start taking a better one.

The doc said that chronic inflammation anywhere in your body increases your risk of cancer. I just know it's never to late to make the changes you need in your life to avoid having to go through this.

Take good care of yourself, there's only one like you!

kbak
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

SO sorry to hear about your Mom, kbak! I hope there is something they can do, at least to make her comfortable. I hope she is not in too much pain. Did she have IBS herself?

I worry about my DH because he has problems with IBS... he's had a few colonoscopies over the years because of symptoms, nothing ever shows up, so it's weird; and at this point he won't go anymore.

It makes sense that inflammation of any kind is not good long term for the body. That's why testing for C-reactive protein and homocysteine is also supposed to be important, it's been indicated in heart disease as well. Also, preventively, eating lots of veggies helps to drop overall inflammation ... and even the arthritis association says to not eat red meat believe it or not.

Again, so sorry about your Mother!

all the best,
    Victoria

3. kbak

kbak Member

Victoria,
    My mom is 77. She has had IBS the vast majority of her life. She is going to be treated with a newer treatment called Monoclonal Antibody Treatment.

This particular treatment is perfect for the type of cancer cell, CD20 that she has. It's an antibody treatment designed to go after only the cancer cells.

Her doc said that she should do very well on this treatment, and have a decent remission. 3-5 yrs. The thing about this treatment is after the first initial dose, which I guess is pretty tough, you start feeling pretty good very fast. The following treatments are suppose to be way easier.

The thing is with getting a colonoscopy is that the cancer really doesn't show on the surface (it didn't on my moms) but with a biopsy. I'm wondering if they shouldn't take a little biopsy every once in a while on someone who has IBS?

Anyhow I'm hoping my mom does well with the therapy and gets a few more yrs.

kbak
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Glad to hear there's a pretty good prognosis! I truly hope she does well with the therapy.

I am going to pass this info on to my DH... not that he'll probably do anything actually, he can be pretty stubborn. I don't think anyone ever did a biopsy on him, but, obviously he still seems well overall.

I'd think the history of IBS would probably be a major indicator, tho, maybe there's still some years to convince him (he's 60). Sigh.

all the best,
    Victoria

5. kbak

kbak Member

fight4acure,

Hugs welcome! You always know at some point your parents are going to die, but your never ready. The doc just giving my mom some hope for some kind of remission, even a small one, has just really boosted her spirits.

Prayer's are powerful medicine! Thanks.

kbak