IBS and Zycam

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wrthster, Jan 1, 2007.

1. wrthster

wrthster New Member

For those on the board that suffer from Irritable Bowel Sydnrom here is a bit of interesting feedback. Myself and one other I know has used Zycam (the over the counter homeopathic nasal spray) for the common cold. We both noticed it greatly improved IBS symptoms and stomach/intestinal health overall. Zycam is really just diluted Zinc, that get directly into the bloodstream if you use the Nasal Gel which is the most pure form produced by the manufacturer. I am curious if anyone has noticed the same benefit, or would give it a try? If enough people got benefit, perhaps we could contact the manufacturer and see. My guess is that this product's Zinc, boosts the immune system but does not stimulate it, it acually calms it down. Also, most of us are lacking in Zinc. And finally, I believe Zinc has Antiviral properties. Curious for your feedback.
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

You may be onto something, but for me, each time I've tried Zicam, my IBS has gotten worse. In fact, if I take the chewable tablets or use the throat spray, I feel so sick to my stomach, I feel poisoned.

Once I rushed to see my family doc because I felt like I was dying and had been poisoned. My tongue was BLACK-YUCK!!

The doc deduced that it was the interaction of the Zicam and the Pepto-Bismol. I took the Pepto Bismol because the Zicam made my stomach so sick!! Then my tongue turned black and I felt like I was going to die!

Mini
  3. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

I used to rave about this product.....it really worked well for me as far a limiting the duration of a cold. Some have had bad effects from it though, if you do a search here on the message boards for "zicam" you will find that there was a man who lost his sense of smell after using the nasal gel. I tried the throat spray and lost my sense of taste for 2 weeks. If you google it you will see that there were lawsuits pending against the maker (this was a couple of years ago, not sure of the current status of this).

As with anything, what works for some does not work for others. Always do your research.

Lynna