IBS ... having accideents

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Engel, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Engel

Engel New Member

Not to be too graphic or offend anyone ... but does anyone else have "accidents" with IBS? Am I going to have to start wearing adult diapers?!?!?!? I can't deal with these accidents. I am just glad it didn't happen in public.
  2. janie056

janie056 New Member

I have IBS as well, no accidents yet though. Sorry your having a bad time.
    Are you on medication for it?
    I've been on Donnatal for it, and as soon as I feel cramping start I take it and works great.

Take Care,
    Jane
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Engel
    Don't be ashamed. It's happened to me a couple of times, thankfully in the house but took me by surprise losing complete control. I went thru this kind of mess with menstruation and will spare everyone the gorey details.

My gastro just re-prescribed Levbid to calm my stomach down.
    If you drink coffee, its a real irritant, try to cut it out, not down. I'm not allowed to eat nuts or corn...I eat nuts but chew really well and corn is just bad news, including popcorn.
  4. MKate

MKate New Member

HI -

I used to have lots of semi-accidents and rushes to restrooms. In fact, I knew where every bathroom was anywhere I went -- because it was sooooo frequent...further, I even adjusted my job until to consulting so I wouldn't have to be anywhere until about 10 a.m. in the morning because from 7 or 8 a.m I could depend on a constant run to the restroom.

So -- when I tell you that it doesn't have to continue -- and even with CFS -- this can be remedied. Beleive me. I did a heavy digestive cleanse for 2 months -- and that really helped. After that I continued to do the cleanse drink every 4th week or so. Within 3-5 months I began to have normal bowel movements.

I now juice every a.m. with Cylium Husk or Grapeseed Powder for fiber - - sometimes adding a clay cleanser with it -- doing these things will help to keep the digestive tract clean. No more running to restrooms or accidents.

Further, the digestive system can still be thrown off kilter due to too much bread (yeast) or sugars - causing constipation - but by juicing and using fiber after you've done a very thorough cleanse will be very beneficial.

I Hope that helps. I used to be very embarassed too -- but I'm happy to share that it doesn't have to be this way.

Note: be sure you are taking potassium - because the digestive problems you are experiencing deplete your body of them - and it could affect your electrolytes and heart function.

Mkate
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

I am always so tired and forget to fill things out. I have to get this checked out.
  6. cpdspq

cpdspq New Member

Mkate's reply was very helpful to me. It is good to know that others spend their mornings in fear of accidents I find myself losing total control....and its happening more often. It is not easy for me to plan my work schedule around this...and I am getting really frustrated and worried. What is it about mornings? It seems to happen to me between the time I wake up and noon....whether I have eaten or not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

I've had "urgencies" since my early 20s. Now, it's worse...morning, of course, is the problem. I may have to go 4 or 5 times before noon.

I've had a few small accidents lately, but the good news is that I'm at home on LTD. I would seriously consider wearing a pad outside of the home (if I EVER went outside the home...which is very rare these days!!!).

Sorry for your troubles, but you are definitely not alone!!! As strange as it may sound, maybe adding yet more fiber to our diets would help.

TerryS
  8. MKate

MKate New Member

HI -

There's more to the problem than we can know -- is it lack of enzymes, is it acutally constipation? I found out that constipation can actually CAUSE diaghrea --- ????!!!!

Wierd, I know, but it is the body's way of ensuring that most waist is still expelled -- around the blockage.

Go get the Book: Dr. Jensen's Guide to Better Bowel Care.
    Read it -- order items needed, and start as you feel able, with simple juicing and diet changes......

You can add the cleanses and routines he suggests....A professional colonic protocal may actually help you get started immediately - and allow for an easier way to have support and to learn what you need to learn, quickly.

Good luck - this doesn't have to be your way of life.

I am now 5 years into no worries -- but I still need to work on keeping my digestive tract healthy. The skills I've learned really help me every day.

Mkate
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2007]
  9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Have you ever considered delayed food allergy testing? My Dr says IBS is always from foods and the intolerences that you have developed over time. Check out www.sagemedlab.com and www.4fibromyalgia.com. I had this testing and just finished the elimination phase of the diet and now I'm starting the challenge phase. I never would have guessed 21 of the 22 delayed food allergies that I have. These are not immediate allergies, but delayed, and can cause symptoms like IBS, migraines, pain, fatigue, high BP etc. They often develop because of the viruses in our bodies due to FM or CFS. I am also taking an antiviral med. I am feeling better and started noticing improvement on day 12 of the med and elimination diet.
  10. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Well I'm not glad that you deal with the "issue"...lol. Just glad I am not alone!

Hugs,
    Deb
  11. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I remember one incident 15 years ago.I made it home but I lived on the 3rd floor so I didn't make it upstairs.
    Now I can tell when an episode is begining and I locate the nearest facility.
    Try getting some peppermint gel tabs.They are gross but when you feel the first cramp bite down on two, allowing the gel to come out and it will give you about a 5 minute ease off the cramping and buy you a little more time. Also if you are experiencing a day of running (you understand)an old remedy is to drink a half glass of water that you have added a tablespoon of flour to.You can add a few drops of vanilla and a pinch of sugar to fix the taste a bit.It works,cause I,ve used it many times.GOOD LUCK!!
  12. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I never could drink coffee without paying for it dearly,an hour in the bathroom.But I figured out I can drink de-caf.
    It is such a shame that we have to go thru so much to figure out the dos and don'ts with food and meds.