IBS help Digestive Enzymes or Probiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jun 3, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~
    I'm about to place an order for something to try to help my IBS symptoms which are horrible right now.
    I'm not sure which would help me better or more,...
    Digestive enzymes or a good probiotic?
    possible both?
    I do have alot of gas with cramping.
    Mostly diareah.

Which product do you think would help most for this?

Thanks for anything you can offer in advice,
    Tandy
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

back up top
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

I had severe IBS until I finally got some good advice from a nutritionist.

First, the cramping: Bentyl, just one, at start of cramping, wait 1 hr, if not enough relief, I take another.

Secondly, I began with taking the pre-dairy product pill....extra strength lactase enzyme. Mostly because I love cheese and cottage cheese and thought maybe they were contributing to my D-IBS. THEY really helped a lot.

Lastly, I started a probiotic with Acidoph. and bifidum...

I have IBS-d maybe once a month now!
    And that's usually when I overdo the greasy thing...my favorite, Church's chicken wing, LOL.

Grease really does me in, so I stay away from it, olive oil doesn't hurt me.

I have also found that I MUST have enough carbs (whole grains, beans, soaked 24 hrs, cooked to boil 5 min, then soaked in fresh water a few more hours, then cooked forever!). These seem to add enough bulk, different from "fiber", to make stools large enough to fill the intestines so that the peristalis action works correctly.

Not enough food can trigger my IBS.

Hope something here helps you!
    findmind

4. tandy

tandy New Member

your input is so apreciated!!

I do think the good bacteria probiotics have helped me
    some with IBS.
    I need to get more~

I did'nt think they were helping much untill I was without them for 6 days. Then Bam!! my bad cramps and diareah kicked in!! bad gas pains too.

Thanks for all the advice~