IBS Incredible pain desperate for suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maps1, Jul 26, 2008.

1. maps1

maps1 Member

Six or seven weeks ago I suddenly stopped taking Lorazapam (not a good idea) which sent me into withdrawal including severe gastro pain.

Now I have severe burning pain in abdominal area and back and I suddenly bloat huge. The doc gave me a pill for ulcer which I took everyday for a month.

I posted about this two or three weeks ago but although it is getting a little better I am still in agony. I wake up nauseous, bad taste in mouth and and cramps then pain in back and burning in gut. Doc's can't find anything wrong.

I have tried digestive aid and probiotics but nothing seems to help.

I don't know if this is IBS (never had it before)but I am so exhausted with the pain.

Please, if anyone has any more suggestions as to what I can do or what might be the cause would love to hear it.

2. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

It may seem like a nusense but what got me regular was taking two Tbs. of flax seeds, grind them up in coffee grinder ($10.00) and drink down in favorite beverage. I also added 2 Tbs. of Lecithin granules (which taste like butter) which heals your gut because it like scowers (sp?) it out. But just the flax seed is fine. It will provide you bulk with your stool and make it very comfortable. If you're loose it will bulk you up, if you're tight it will soften you up. You'll have a very large (width wise) stool. Sorry about being graphic but that is what is recommended. When the intestines are out of wack are stools are usually narrow. That means they are clogged I think.

I had severe IBS and had terrible cramps before going to bathroom. IBS is when you go soft and hard, back and forth, with horrible stomach cramps. I had all kinds of tests done, even a colonoscopy and they found nothing. The ground flax seed was a life saver. Dr. might prescribe a fiber mixture, I think like metomucil but the flax is better. It is also loaded with Omega 3 oils.

Stay far away from laxatives they'll really hurt you. Let me know more about your condition.
    Hope you feel better.
  3. maps1

maps1 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I don't seem to have a problem with my bm it is the burning gut and back pain, would this still be IBS. The doc suggested fiber which I have done but it is still the same?

Today my ribs are so sore it hurst to breath.

4. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

Burning gut and back pain can be associated with the cramps you're gut is going through.

It's funny your dr. didn't request a colonoscopy. That sounds in order.

How long did you stay on the fiber regimen?

You should stick with the fiber regimen each day.

Does it hurt just after you go or all the time? I know my IBS hurt the worst when I was about to go, when I went and just after. It can also cause shooting pains in the interim.

I'm not too sure about your condition. Flax seed is a daily regimen and much better than fiber script from dr.

You may have a combination of symptoms. Sorry to hear of your excruciating pain. Wish I could have helped you more.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I'd suggest trying a bland diet for a few days. This will normally eliminate pain in 1 - 2 days for me. It's just baked chicken w/salt / no pepper, well cooked but not mushy peas and asparagus, applesauce and peeled pears.

You can have white rice or a baked potato w/EVOO + salt too, just don't overdo the carbs if you're hypoglycemic.

Chicken broth is good at this point too. It's just not very filling ...

And eating fresh papaya, mango or pineapple is helpful. These have natural digestive enzymes and will help you digest your food. You can dry and crush the papaya seeds to make your own enzymes too.

I couldn't do the fiber up until recently so flax would've made my pain worse.

Were you checked for celiac disease ? It can be very painful ... I get sharp pains throughout my abdomen whenever I've eaten gluten now.

6. sascha

sascha Member

work with a naturopath. have testing done that AMA types don't do. when i went to an alternative medical practice, they did testing that turned up inflammation, candida, problems with digestion, IBS, leaky gut. you can get a lot of information from such examination. i'm doing another stool test now to see where i'm at. find someone who can follow you on a CDSA test (Comprehensive Diagnostic Stool Analysis). you'd then be on the track of finding best dietary regimen for you, plus supplements that can help you overcome specific problems.

but i suggest you don't use experimental approach on your own. get expert help to pinpoint the problem(s); then proceed.

good luck- sascha *regular doctors don't really have expertise in this field. they just tend to prescribe medicine for symptomatic relief- you want a cure using natural sources for treatment.
  7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I would suggest resuming your Lorazepam for a couple of days just to check that WD symptoms are not causing this.

If that doesn't help, I would sit in the Dr office until he takes this seriously - you should not be in this much pain.

Love Bunchy x
  8. maps1

maps1 Member

I forgot my doc gave me a perscription for Dicetel so went to have it filled, have taken one so see what happens.

Bunchy, I agree I should not be in this much pain, I can't beleive I have let it go so long, just get so fogged and with the pain can't think straight.

Reading this board I know I am very lucky I have great doctors. Sacha the GP actually told me that doc's really don't treat gut problems very well and suggested trying a naturopath. I have another doc that treats my cfs when I started with her 6 years ago she found candida and mycoplasma. I will call her next week but she only works two days a week now.

Peace77, I had a colonoscopy last year and when the pain was totally unbearable a few weeks ago I was so scared I went to the er. Tests showed elevated white cells and something else (can't remember) but basicly said nothing wrong and gave me pills for ulcer.

I have read some about IB but this does not seem to fit. The pain is almost constant, I am eating pretty bland and actually having difficulty in eating - nauseated.

I really appreciate feedback from you guys, I get so used to comment that "nothings wrong". Talking to all of you have given me the input I need to pursue it.

The earliest I can reach my doc is Tuesday I really wish I had some kind of pain med.

I hope this makes sense as It's difficult to sit here.

9. findmind

findmind New Member

First, do you have a diagnosis of IBS?

If the pain is high, under the ribs and around the back, I wonder...

You may have costochondritis, and inflammation of the ribcage (the parts that hold the ribs to the body, the cartilage). There's lots of stuff about it, just search it above, in the search box, by title.

Or, you may have gallbladder problems.
    That, too, can cause the pain you are describing.

If you have a diagnosis of IBS, that doesn't mean you can't have something else wrong, too. Please get it checked out, will you? All our advice can be wrong, so demand answers from your dr., not just "hit-and-miss" meds.

I hope you can get a fast appt when you call your dr. Tuesday. Try to be real clear about the pain and how terrible it is, so they really look into it.

Best to you,
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm kinda scratching my head with you on this one.

but,... its so strikingly odd that I've been haiving alot of the very same things going on with me.
    (you can look at my posts)
    stomach pain with bloat, going into my back. right in the pit of my stomach, it just almost constantly knaws at me.
    I do have DX IBS so if its that,.. its way out of control cause its never been this bad.
    I was thinking an ulcer,... or gallbladder/pancreatitis.????

I get to go for a colonoscopy in Aug. I'm so excited!!
    :) (yes,..thats sarcasm) i'm dreading it really.

So far,...no pain meds have helped this pain.
    Its downright horrible.
    in the meantime,... try either an ice pack on your belly or heat. it kinda soothes me. But really,... nothings helping~
    wishing you luck at finding relief & answers for this.
    Hugs, your not alone
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Check the side effects of your med.s.

You really should not be in so much pain constantly from IBS. IBS is a colicky pain.

I see that you went back on a couple of med.s a few months back. One of them can cause abdominal pain and distention and this side effect should be reported to your doc.

Hope you feel better soon!

12. maps1

maps1 Member

Not sure if I can sleep, my stomach is so huge and uncomfortable I expect twins by the morning.

Last nights the pain woke me for several hours,perhaps tonight will be better.

Rafki: I am so out of it right now did you notice what meds they were.

13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

the Zyprexa can cause liver prob.s which can result in pain and distention. You'd probably also be jaundiced. Nevertheless, I'd check it out.

Also, SSRIs can cause gut problems including bleeding.

Aint it all fun!

Best to you,
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree that something else may be going on and warrants checking out.
    IBS can be different for different people. It does not always fluctuate being constipation and diarrhea. Sometimes you can just have one or the other. I was originally diagnosed when I had such severe constipation and stomach pain. I used to refer to this 'thing' in my abdomen as my "pipe". You could actually see a 6" thing that looked like a pipe. Extremely painful, bloating, horrible. Had all the tests done - IBS.
    Several years later, my constipation turned to uncontrollable diarrhea. The pain with that made me scream - literally. After i'd go, it felt like my insides were going to come out.

Yes - probably more info than anyone cares to hear.

Now because of my pain meds, I'm normal - Thank goodness!
  15. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi again,

I saw that you said you were on a bland diet and realized that I forgot to mention the diet I listed is for food intolerances too. Just bland isn't the same.

I used to eat toast or cereal when my stomach was upset not realizing it was causing problems. I never felt sick from these immediately when I ate them. But, these kept me oscillating from constipation to diahrea and was causing horrible pain.

This diet was recommended to me by my GP when all the meds my Gastroenterologist gave me failed. Now if someone had just put me on this diet first, I would've been saved a heck of a lot of time and money. Not to mention those stupid invasive procedures. Ah, but where's the money in that ??

In case you're not aware of food intolerances, these can account for all of our symptoms. Nuero, digestive, etc. I don't have the link in my head right now, but if you google "LEAP food intolerances" or just "food intolerances" you'll see what I'm talking about.

The common foods that cause problems are gluten, dairy, soy, corn, eggs and chemicals, but you can be sensitive to one or all of these or ones I didn't think of.

The reason you need to follow the diet given above (eating only those foods listed) is that if you give up all food intolerances at one time you reduce the cytokines in your body. And this allows it to heal faster. BTW, this is why the Paleo diet works so well long term too.

For some reason, I happen to be sensitive to all common food intolerances. Removing these has made a huge difference in how I feel.

HTH ... Marcia

PS. Drugs are a waste of time. They only mask what your body is trying to tell you. Ignoring what your body is telling you will only result in your body finding another way to tell you to pay attention to what you're eating.

[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2008]
  16. maps1

maps1 Member

no babies though :)

Grrr, my system crashed three times so going to create response in word first.

Tansy, I tried the heating pad and it worked well, I read some of your messages and your symptoms do sound like mine. I see someone suggested vicks vapor rub, did that help?

Do you also have nausea or chills and sweats? I also thought ulcer, or gallbladder/pancreatitis but the doc said no

This is so crazy, I did not have the pains when I first woke up but they are back now but not yet as severe as yesterday, I don’t even want to move and I am still bloated. Have used the heating pad a couple of times this a.m.

Rafiki, I am now only taking Prozac and immovaine for sleep, Immovaine is new (the last couple of months) so did try something else for a few days but no difference. It is definitely not a colicky pain it is very constant.

Janalyn. No information is too much right now.

Exchocoholic, I did do the elimination diet and also went on the Candida diet for several months and neither the allergy testing or diets showed any sensitivity for food, but for sure if they can’t find anything wrong I will be back on the diet.

Will be trying out all the suggestions because I can’t even function at my normal minimal level. By the way I did take another of the prescription medication (Dicetel) so will let you know if this helps.

Thank you all so much.

17. Honora88

Honora88 Member

No wheat even if you aren't allergic.

Gluten free diet only even if you aren't allergic.

No spicey or oily foods

Keep up with the probiotics

Check up on Tong Ren which is free energy healing you can call in for.

18. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi Again

I can relate all to well to what you're saying. And before I knew about my food intolerances, my doc prescribed Donnatal Elixer. I wouldn't use it now, but it certainly eliminated my pain. This might help you get past this bad episode.

I've found that most, if not all my IBS pains are from eating the wrong food or eating too much of the right food.

Have you tried plain kefir ? A tbsp a day to begin with might help. Then, if you tolerate it well, increase it slowly to 4 - 6 oz a day over the next 2 weeks.

Probiotics are good, but sometimes the kefir or goat yogurt work better on some people.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure you understand that the foods I listed can help stabilize your gut. And once your gut is settled you can add your old foods back in one at a time making sure your gut stays calm. This part may only take 2 - 3 days ...

I eat a wide variety of foods now that I couldn't tolerate back in 2005. And some I'd never heard of prior to 2005. : )

Also, have you tried Gas X capsules for the gas ? The generic and the Gas X tablets never worked as good as the capsules. Fresh papaya is terrific for this too.

hope you feel better ... Marcia

19. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

There can be many different causes of IBS. I suffered for 50 yrs. with it, from infancy on. The pain was called by different medical labels names over the years, but for me it was the same pain.

My symptoms were very similar to yours. Over the decades I had 3 hospitalizations caused by the severe IBS. Many tests were run, all negative. Many meds were tried, none helpful.

I tested negative on all tests for celiac disease, IgE wheat/barley/rye allergy, and IgG testing. However both of my kids have severe gluten sensitivity ... which wasn't discovered 'til somewhat late in the game. As I began cooking for them, I decided that it was a real *pain* to cook both GF & nonGF -- shopping, separate prep & pans, extra cleaning, etc.

Soooo I decided to just cook GF for the whole family. Within 1 month, my severe IBS was gone.

It's been over 4 yrs. now, & the only IBS flare I've had developed after I purposely ate some licorice (dying for it). Within 2 hours I was in a flare that lasted several days. In bed, immobile with cramping & pain.

In talking with other IBS sufferers, it does seem like the bloating & cramping type IBS is more common in those with food intolerances.

To rule out gluten or dairy sensitivity, it is recommended to eliminate those items for a fulll 6 weeks. Doing a gluten elimination requires not only vetting of all basic foodstuffs, but also spices, sauces, beverages. Art & craft supplies, health & beauty aids, vitamins/supps, & meds must all be checked for possible gluten. In addition, in the average household, cross-contamination from other people's gluten crumbs (butter, PB, kitchen sponges, etc.) must be avoided.

People can become gluten intolerant following an illness, stress, life change, or as the body ages.

I realize you believe you do not have food intolerance issues, however, if you have not done the full long-term gluten lifestyle elimination, please consider trying it at some time in the future if you do not find relief.

Best wishes.

20. ardnave

ardnave New Member

You could try taking some l-glutamine, I've found it really helpful for a range of digestive/abdominal discomforts.