IBS Patients More Likely to Suffer Fibromyalgia, Migraine,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Sep 28, 2006.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

and Depression.

Original page:
    http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/128/116870.htm

Irritable Bowel, Pain Syndromes Linked

IBS Patients 60% More Likely to Suffer Fibromyalgia, Migraine, Depression

By Daniel DeNoon

WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
    on Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sept. 28, 2006 -- Doctors have long suspected a link between irritable bowel syndrome, pain syndromes, and depression. New data now strongly support this theory.

The findings come from data on 97,593 people with irritable bowel syndrome enrolled in a large U.S. health plan from 1996 to 2002. J. Alexander Cole, DSc, MPH, and colleagues at Boston University compared these patients with 27,402 people seeking routine health care.

Their results show that people with irritable bowel syndrome are:

80% more likely to suffer fibromyalgiafibromyalgia

60% more likely to suffer migraine

40% more likely to suffer depression

Overall, 60% more likely to suffer fibromyalgia, migraine, or depression

"Perhaps what is driving the relation between irritable bowel syndrome and these other conditions is some underlying biological disorder," Cole tells WebMD. "Nobody is sure what this could be.

But people suggest that there is this constellation of symptoms among people with irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, migraine, and depression that might present in different ways."

Cole and colleagues report their findings in the Sept. 28 issue of the online journal BMC Gastroenterology.

Common Cause of Pain Syndromes?

Cole, now an epidemiologist with i3 Drug Safety, is not an expert on irritable bowel syndrome. Reza Shaker, MD, is. Shaker, chief of gastroenterology and hepatology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, was not involved in the Cole study.

"Clinical observations of patients with pain syndromes indicate that we are dealing with a syndrome bigger than a single organ," Shaker tells WebMD. "These findings confirm these previous observations."

Shaker says people with irritable bowel syndrome and people with pain syndromes such as fibromyalgia and migraine have something in common.

They all have nerve pathways which somehow have become vastly oversensitive to pain signals -- a process doctors call sensitization.

Perhaps, Shaker suggests, there's a common problem at the crossroads where these nerve pathways intersect.

"Is it possible that there is an event -- possibly an early life event -- that affects the crossroads of all these nerve pathways?" he asks. "In areas where these nerves cross, it could be that there is sensitization occurring, affecting different neural circuits."

Cole suggests that different doctors looking at the same underlying illness might make different diagnoses.

A gastroenterologist, for example, might diagnose irritable bowel syndrome, while a rheumatologist might diagnose fibromyalgia.

This sounds a lot like the blind men who, on first encountering an elephant, declare it to be like a snake or a tree depending on whether they are touching the elephant's trunk or its leg.

Shaker says this analogy is apt. But most doctors, he says, will examine the whole elephant, not just its parts.

"A professional doesn't just focus on one symptom. If we see irritable bowel syndrome along with noncardiac chest pain or fibromyalgia, then we tackle this," he says. "But we doctors need to have a more global picture of this, instead of pigeonholing our diagnosis according to our own specialty or subspecialty."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Cole, J.A. BMC Gastroenterology, Sept. 28, 2006; vol 6: pp 26. J. Alexander Cole, DSc, MPH, epidemiologist, i3 Drug Safety. Reza Shaker, MD, chief, division of gastroenterology and hepatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.

Thanks for reading,

Karen :)

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

for information, hope they find more.I have a hard time reserching so glad some one post stuff like this.
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

You are more than welcome but it is really nothing I do a lot of reading.

If I read something that I think someone on this board may need to know or that I think is interesting -- I just share it.

I found this very interesting because I have had intestinal problems from a young age (IBS/C) and still have this problem...sigh.

I know a lot of people here have similar problems -- since most FMS suffers have some sort of IBS.

Thanks,

4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Have you found anything about Inflamatory bowel Disease/ colitis. I have this and have always wondered if they go together but seems like I am the only one that has it.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

My sister has d) "all the above", and I have always joked that I am the ONLY one in the entire extended family that can go to the bathroom okay. Well, I would say I have been having problems in that area the past year or two. Maybe not enough to seek medical treatment or diagnonsence, but things have definately changed.
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

does anyone know if FM and colitis are related??? I have never found anything that says they are but I wonder daily.....thanks for any input!!
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Since IBS encompasses such things as leaky gut, colitis, and spastic colon.

I would say yes but I am not an expert by any stretch or the word.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have you checked the library on this site for information?

Take care,

8. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Bumping as this relates to Viktoria's thread on antibiotics and IBS.
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

Yes Dysautonomia is an abnormal function of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) which is self controlling, functioning independent.

The ANS regulates key functions including the activity of the cardiac muscle, smooth muscles (e.g., the gut), and the glands. The ANS has two divisions:

1. The Sympathetic Nervous System -- accelerates the heart, constricts blood vessels and raises blood pressure.

2. The Parasympathetic Nervous System -- slows heart rate, increases intestinal and gland activity and relaxes sphincter muscles.

The presence of coexisting or additional diseases with reference to an initial diagnosis or with reference to the index condition that is the subject of study.

Co morbidity may affect the ability of affected individuals to function and also their survival -- it may be used as a prognostic indicator for length of hospital stay, cost factors, and outcome or survival. (just a little side bar from my studies it does affect reimbursement -- as awful as it sounds)

Hayley -- thanks for the information concerning Bipolar I haven't really looked into as I haven't any reason to for myself but I do find that interesting. You know my mother has schizophrenia and has IBS/D makes me wonder...

I do agree with you that yes it all basically goes back to the brain doesn't it and there is still so much undiscovered information of the brain -- it just makes you go what the?...

Ah -- the human body [so fragile yet so strong] such a complicated machine isn't it?

I had the privilege of observing two surgeries while in school several years ago and I am still amazed by the human body.

To see a heart beating is an awesome experience -- for lack of better words. Everything has its perfect place -- it is just something else a life changing experience.

How are you doing? I hope you are OK or as well as can be :)

Thanks so much,

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2006]
  10. kjfms

kjfms Member

Hey sorry I didn't answer this I am back to work this week. I do medical transcription part time.

Sorry you haven't been feeling well and hope you feel a little better soon.

Well on the tetanus shot I say whatever you feel works for you. I had a flu shot and have had a few symptoms with it but I feel it is worth it in the long run.

Gosh you uncle had a heck of a time didn't he so sorry.

I just popped in for a few minutes before going to work I hope you have a great day :)

Take care,

11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

That pretty much describes me, especially today. It's been a very bad pain day (the weather is changing again). I also had to go to the SSDI shrink this morning. Between those things I ended up with a migraine that won't go away.

I slept for a couple of hours, but the head still hurts. Actually, everything still hurts.

I would love to have a good day for a change.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  12. kjfms

kjfms Member

Oh gosh -- I sure hope you are feeling a little better.

I am sorry I missed this post I have been working and have only been able to pop in and out.

How did your hearing go? I do hope your migraine cleared.

Please let me know I am interested. Again I apologize for not responding sooner but really couldn't be helped and I do hope you understand :)

Take care,

13. sept

sept New Member

My IBS symptoms are completely different than my FMS. One is bowel and the other is all-over trigger points???? Not sure what the point is of article.
  14. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I was first diagnosed with IBS over 25 years ago. I have since had migraines, FM and depression. It is noteworthy that I also have a sister and a daughter with mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia. Now if that is a coincidence, I can accept but it just seems too close familially to be such. I do agree with the suggestion that IBS and FM are both similar in theory of a lowered or abnormal pain sensitivity. I know for me I worked for years and never missed a day at work and then all of a sudden, I turned in to this pain ridden person who can't stand any pain sensation (my interpretation) I would love to see some studies of those of us who have multiple maladies and see if there were some common thread among us that may uncover the mystery to our suffering.
  15. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I've learned long ago that nothing is coincidence.
    Tigger
  16. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I haven't had a hearing yet. Because depression was part of my diagnosis, they had to send me to a shrink. Rules are rules after all.

I did get a little snippy at one point because I was in a lot of pain. She also wanted me to keep the psychological side of it and not the physical... I don't know how to tell the two apart most days.

The worst part of it was that I felt I should have been more stupid. I know that sounds strange, but I was able to do all of her silly little tests like counting backward by 7 from 100. Another was to name the days of the week backward and the months of the year. From the questions she asked, I felt like a genius. Not because I'm smart, but because they are clearly tests to try and make someone screw up. That annoyed me. Just because I have a brain, doesn't mean that I'm not in pain, not fatigued, and not confused sometimes. All I can do at this point is hope for the very best.

It took almost all day to get rid of the migraine. I'd sleep for a little then wake up and my head would hurt, so I'd go back to sleep for a little while.

It still amazes me that my dogs know when I'm in bad shape and they don't even ask to go our. It's amazing.

Since I need meds tomorrow and don't have the money, looks like I'll have to write a bad check. Trust me, that is not my favorite thing in the world. I feel like deadbeat. I've got to do it though because if I don't get my fentanyl I could go into a serious with drawal.

I also decided today that I might start looking at someplase to move to where the cost of living is not quite so high.

Hugs,
    Tigger

17. kjfms

kjfms Member

My god that is the most craziest thing I have ever heard of -- what just because you actually can use your brain she is holding that against you....aarrgh

Sorry that just pisses me off to no end. Sorry for cursing but honestly what are you supposed to do go in there in there and fake being stupid or something that makes now sense?

I have never filed so I am really ignorant on the process but do they base it all on cognitive ability?

Have you applied for any patient assistance programs for your medications? Give that a try your physician's office will have the information and will help you fill out the papers if you need them to -- you have to ask they do not volunteer this information.

Here is a site where you can down load a card that might save you some money tomorrow. I have had to do the same thing too.

The site:

http://www.prescription-savings.com

Someone posted this a while back and I downloaded it and I save 50% on my prescription for my Darvocet N-100 that I take for my pain -- I am not kidding!!!!

It normally cost me around $30.00 (60 pills) for it but with this Discount Card from Scrip Solution by AmeriSavings I pay $15.00 :) it helps I have no insurance.

It must still be working because I just got my new prescription of 120 pills for around $25.00

Tigger if you do nothing else I have suggested please go to that site and get that card. You have to give some information but it is worth it.

If I am not mistaken they have a list of medications you can save money on. Oh I used it at CVS -- I think they have a list of drug stores that take it as well.

I wish you the best of luck and if I think of anything else that might help you I will post it OK?

Take care and keep the faith,

18. kjfms

kjfms Member

Hi sept -- I am sorry you have these illnesses and sorry I really do not know how much more in depth I can go on what Hayley and I have already covered -- she posted some great things in this thread which may help.

By the way FMS has tender points not trigger points but you probably know that.

Yes the bowel and tender point are different but everything is connected in one form or another don't you think? The nervous system, the endocrine system, the circulatory system, etc... makes the different organs share so many common links don't you think?

Hi goldyfm -- Oh my you have had a time of it haven't you? isn't it amazing how so many here worked and went through their lives and then whammy they get slammed by unbearable pain.

I am with you I would like to see more of these studies too.

Thanks for reading,

[This Message was Edited on 10/28/2006]
  19. kjfms

kjfms Member