IBS vs. COLITIS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I was reading the posts regarding IBS. I think some people may be confused between IBS and Colitis. IBS is a non-degenerative disease - it's called a "motility" problem. The bowels get cramped and twisted, making it hard to relieve yourself. It is very painful and very debilitating, but it cannot kill you. Colitis, on the other hand, can be a degenerative disease. My son suffers from it. He was so sick he was down to 95 lbs. (at age 22)! It took 4 hospitalizations and 6 months to properly diagnose him. Some people need surgery to have part of their intestines removed. I have suffered from IBS since I was 14 years old and believe me, as horrible as it is, I would much rather have this than Colitis! I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks!

Annette2
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I was reading the posts regarding IBS. I think some people may be confused between IBS and Colitis. IBS is a non-degenerative disease - it's called a "motility" problem. The bowels get cramped and twisted, making it hard to relieve yourself. It is very painful and very debilitating, but it cannot kill you. Colitis, on the other hand, can be a degenerative disease. My son suffers from it. He was so sick he was down to 95 lbs. (at age 22)! It took 4 hospitalizations and 6 months to properly diagnose him. Some people need surgery to have part of their intestines removed. I have suffered from IBS since I was 14 years old and believe me, as horrible as it is, I would much rather have this than Colitis! I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks!

Annette2

[ advertisement ]